Discussions started by Janet Salmons

Janet with CasesHello everyone! I am looking forward to getting acquainted with you and sharing ideas about online interview research.

Please let us know a little about yourself-- where are you logging in from, and what is your interest in this topic? Have you conducted research with online interviews? If so, what technology did you use? Or, are you planning to use this approach for a future project?

What do you hope to get out of this Professional Reading Seminar?

Cases in Online Interview Research is a selective collection of case studies and critiques. Ten researchers were each invited to create a case study of the online research dimension of their research in a consistent format that encourages cross-case comparisons. This international group of researchers represents diverse disciplines, including business, education, psychology, climate science, communications, museum studies and health. They use varied qualitative methodologies including case study, grounded theory, action research, and phenomenology. Some of the contributors will join us during the Reading Group seminar.

kissI look forward to exploring the E-Interview Research Framework E-Interview Research Frameworkand the cases, as well as the research (or research teaching) questions of the SCoPE community in this Professional Reading Group event!

A preliminary plan includes a synchronous event to launch and to close the discussion. The seminar will be shaped by the active participants, so we may spend more time on cases or your areas of interest.

February 20-25

• Part 1. Framework for E-Interview Research: A synchronous session with Janet Salmons will explore the 8 inter-related categories of key questions about online interview research that serves as is the organizational principle for the book. We'll explore the implications for planning to conduct research interviews online, or teaching/guiding student researchers. We'll discuss Chapter 1.
  • Part 2. Interviews and Postings: Conducting Research with Social Media
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 2 and 3.
  • Part 3. Interviews and Observations: Conducting Research in Immersive 3D MUVES
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 4 - 7.

February 27-March 3

• Part 4: Visual and Verbal Interviews: Conducting Research in Meeting or Videoconference Spaces
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 8-11.
  • Part 5: Online Interviews in Your Research: A synchronous session with Janet Salmons and contributors to Cases in Online Interview Research We'll discuss Chapter 12.

Cases in Online Interview Research is available from Sage Publications and your favorite bookseller in November 2011. Cases and Online Interviews in Real Time will also be available as CourseSmart and Kindle e-books, in November 2011. International availability may be a bit later.

Stay in touch at www.vision2lead.com, Facebook or Twitter.

Hello everyone,

We have come to the end of our seminar. I will still post the link to the Vidyo Corocall demo and discussion of videoconferencing in interviews. I think you'll be interested to see this presentation- it is an interesting tool, and the ideas about designing and planning for videoconferenced interviews would apply regardless of the tool you choose.

I have enjoyed this seminar and appreciate your thoughtful and thought-provoking comments. I hope it has been useful-- whether you participated or were a lurker/listener.

I am continuing my virtual book tour, if you are interested: next Friday the 5th I will be presenting at Nellie's "Integrating Technology for Active Life-long Learning (IT4ALL) " conference-- see http://www.integrating-technology.com/course/view.php?id=139 . Then, as posted, I have two presentations in Second Life about interviews in that environment. I am doing two live presentations at the Chicago EDUCAUSE conference and at the Qualitative Research in Managemenet conference in Albuquerque. I'll post other opportunities on Twitter and my website (/einterview and www.vision2lead.com). Keep in touch: you can contact me at einterview@vision2lead.com.

All the best,

Janet

PS If you have any really nice things to say about the book, you can send comments to Stephanie Adams at Sage [Stephanie.Adams@sagepub.com] and/or post comments on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Online-Interviews-Real-Janet-Salmons/dp/141296895X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264871646&sr=8-1). Thanks wink

If you can't get enough of online interviewing, please join me for

Interviews with Avatars:
Online Interview Research in Second Life

In the Readers’ Garden

· Session 1: Designing Research with In-World Interviews
February 18th at 6 SLT (SLT=PST)

· Session 2: Planning and Conducting Interviews In-World
February 25th at 6 SLT (SLT=PST)

I’ll share some of the models, approaches and researchers’ experiences included in Online Interviews in Real Time. We’ll consider unique issues and dilemmas involved with scholarly interviews in world. Come share your curiosity—and your experiences!

See the attachment

In the Elluminate session I suggested that major inter-related design decisions involve the level of structure in the interview, and how the level of structure relates to

1. The purpose of the research and methodology;

2. The amount of preparation in terms of formulation of questions.

and

3. The appropriate information and communications technology (ICT) to use. These decisions are influenced by your sample population's access and availability to selected ICTs – and also to the experience of the researcher.

I introduced this model, where I aimed to point out the kinds of preparation involved at various levels of interview structure.

Naturally, an interview might combine different kinds of questions. But clearly preparation for an interview conducted in writing (text-based or Second Life) will require a different consideration than one conducted using audio (meeting space or videoconference).

Interview structure and preparation

As a researcher you will need to defend your choices....how will you do so? As an instructor you must evaluate researchers' research proposals...how will you do so? Let's discuss these issues so fundamental to planning and conducting online interviews.

(If you are following along in your book, we are drawing on Chapters 2 and 6 in this discussion!)