Please introduce yourself!

Please introduce yourself!

by Janet Salmons -
Number of replies: 30

Janet with CasesHello everyone! I am looking forward to getting acquainted with you and sharing ideas about online interview research.

Please let us know a little about yourself-- where are you logging in from, and what is your interest in this topic? Have you conducted research with online interviews? If so, what technology did you use? Or, are you planning to use this approach for a future project?

What do you hope to get out of this Professional Reading Seminar?

In reply to Janet Salmons

Re: Please introduce yourself!

by David Porter -

Hi Janet.

I'm David Porter, Executive Director at BCcampus.ca.  I've been looking forward to this seminar since I saw it announced back in Fall 2011.  The timing is perfect for me because I'm about to conduct some research related instructor practices associated with the selection, adoption and adaptation of open textbooks for use in their courses.

I already use Skype quite a bit and have a few tools to help with the collection and processing of interview data.  Tools like:

All aspects of the framework you've outlined are of interest to me for refining and streamling my approach.  So, happy to be participating.  Thanks for leading the session.

In reply to David Porter

by Ann Randall -

David, I just have to comment that I too use TAMS Analyzer. It's the tool I used to analyze the research I did in Chapter 3 of this book. I found it worked very well, by the way, and amazingly well for a free tool. Ann

In reply to David Porter

by Alannah Fitzgerald -

Hi David and Janet, I'm Alannah Fitzgerald and I'm working in the area of OER for ELT, and am hoping to interview various practitioners: researchers, resource developers, academics and teachers who are helping to open up ELT. I'll most likely be using Skype with one or two f2f interviews but would like to build these interviews into blog posts and eventually (once I get better at this) flesh these out into digital stories. Thx for the pointers on skype recording tools, David. I was wondering what you both use as Mac users for working with qualitative data of different media types e.g. video, audio, text? My uni has cheap licences for NVIVO which I can set up via Boot Camp on my Mac but if you knew of something just as good that is freeware, then this would kinda sit better with my OER work practice...

Looking forward to another great SCOPE seminar - this space rocks!

All the best from the UK, and looking forward to talking more,

Alannah

In reply to Alannah Fitzgerald

by Janet Salmons -

I am interested to hear more about how you will use interviews as the basis for digital stories...and the nature of the consent agreement from participants that will enable you to do so.

I've created a thread about research design and the E-Interview Research Framework, so I hope you will tell us more!

Janet

In reply to Alannah Fitzgerald

by David Porter -

Hi Alannah.

There is another Mac-capable qualitative analysis tool that can be used for processing text data.  It's called HyperResearch.  Works like the others, nVivo, AtlasTi, TAMs Analyzer. It's a bit pricey, but not as pricey as AtlasTI (PC).  And you can try it out for free with a limited number of cases and codes.

I'm also working a bit with Discovertext. It's cool because it can ingest RSS feeds from blog posts and forums, text-based documents, Twitter feeds and even YouTube comments. And, because it's a web-based tool you can use from any platform and browser.

I'll stick some of these links in a list in the discussion space that has been set aside by Janet for resources.

d.

In reply to David Porter

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome David, I hope the seminar will be useful. As we'll be discussing, selection of tools is one part of the process.... I look forward to hearing how the E-Interview Framework helps you to think through the other choices necessary to make your study a success!

Ann Randall

by Ann Randall -

I'm Ann Randall, author of the case study in chapter 3. The research in that case was a pilot project for my dissertation at the University of Idaho. However, the university I'm affiliated with professionally is Boise State University, where I coordinate professional development for online faculty and collaborated in building the university's eLearning Quality Instruction Program (eQIP).

Since the online interviews I conducted were within the Second Life virtual world, the primary tools I used were within the virtual world application itself—notecards, IM, and chat (with logging enabled). I did not use voice; all my interviews were text interviews. Although most students also agreed to the interview through e-mail consent, a couple handled that in-world through a notecard.

I used an Excel spreadsheet to keep participant data and note interview times and places. And to analyze the interviews I used TAMS Analyzer, a freeware product for the Mac. I haven't used it yet in the latest Mac OS (Lion), but it appears that the more recent versions do work.

by John Errigo -
Hello Everyone, I am John Errigo from Langhorne, Pa, a suburb of Philadelphia, Pa. I am an author of four mini business eBooks and a doctoral student at Capella University. I am looking forward to this dynamic seminar. I have attended events prior by Dr. Salmons and they have been stellar. It will be a great benefit to learn from Janet in this seminar, since I will be using this information in my professional work. My Mac is new, so I look forward to adding any supplemental software to enhance the end result of using the information obtained in my practitioner role. It will be great to see you virtually, and I look forward to getting to meet you. John

by Danielle Pitzer Brandon -

Hi!

I am Dani Brandon. I am also a Capella doctoral candidate, living in Columbus, IN. I am conducting a grounded theory study for my dissertation and I plan to use Skype or a similar online meeting program to interview consenting study participants from around the United States. I am participating in this webinar in order to learn from those who have already conducted online interviews - so I can learn avoid pitfalls and optimize the process I follow.

It already looks as if we have a great mix of participants. I am looking forward to the next 10 days with everyone

Dani

by DR. ILA ALLEN -

Hi Everyone,

My name is ILA Allen and I am a doctoral learner at Capella University, living in the Chicagoland area. I am currently at the proposal stage and very interested  in this topic because I will be conducting online interviews via Skype. My methodology is netnography (online/Internet ethnography) so I want to learn about this as much as I can.

Thanks

Ila

by Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier -

Hi folks

I am Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier, author of Chapter 8. I am located in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, at Saint Francis Xavier University. I am an Instructional Designer (on leave) and a professor in our Bachelor of Education (F2F) and Master of Education (I teach online) programs. I am also a doctoral student with the University of South Australia. I, of course [and perhaps unfortunately], study at a distance, and connect with my supervisors via Skype and Collaborate.

My doctoral research has involved an action research project with MEd professors as they moved from teaching courses face-to-face to an online environment using Blackboard and Elluminate. I used Elluminate to conduct individual interviews and focus group sessions.

I look forward to this SCoPE session and connecting with all of you!
Wendy

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Hi Janet,

My name is Nellie Deutsch. I have been teaching English to speakers of other languages since the mid 70s and integragting technology into my face-to-face classes since the mid 90s. I provide online professional development workshops for educators around the world. The workshops include Moodle for teachers and teacher administrators, WebQuests, google docs, WizIQ live online classes, and wikis. I contributed to chapter 10 on Implementing Technology in Blended Learning Courses. The chapter is based on my doctoral research study. I am currently editing a book based on CO12, an online conferene conducted in February 3-5, 2012.  I am interersted in conducting online research and in publishing my work. I enjoyed working with Janet and find writing chapters and collaborative writing very rewarding. I hope to learn more about editing books, conducting research and online interviews. 

Thank you, Janet. You are an inspirationl!!!

by Glenn Groulx -

My name is Glenn Groulx. I am an adult literacy educator at a college in Prince Rupert, in Northwest BC. I have been developing blended courses using social networks. I have been using a combination of blogs, wikis, twitter, with tweetdeck and netvibes. For my professional development, I maintain a blog within the Landing at Athabasca University and a personal wordpress edublog.

I look forward to learning more about using the methods for online interview research to develop a community online of students and organizations in the northwest region.

Looking forward to reading and learning.

Glenn Groulx

by Benjamin Stewart -

Hello everyone.  I'm a doctoral candidate doing research on personal learning networks as a form of professional learning (i.e., development). My data collection techniques will mainly include open and closed, online interviews and focus groups (via Google+ Hangouts) as well as a secondary analysis.  The degree of openness will depend on the participants, but ideally, the interviews and focus group discussions will not only involve the participants of the study, but also the general pubic.

Always interested in sharing ideas and experiences,

-Benjamin 

by Irwin DeVries -

Hi Janet -  I'm Irwin DeVries, Director of Instructional Design at Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning Division. Like a number of others here I'm a PhD candidate and studying open course development and design. This is of particular interest to me as I will be gathering data from a busy and complex Wiki as well as conducting such processes as interviews and focus groups with participants worldwide. Looking forward to this discussion - Irwin

In reply to Irwin DeVries

by Janet Salmons -

Hello and welcome to everyone who has posted and all who are reading the forum and trying to find the time to post! I look forward to hearing more about your research. Use the "Part 1: Framework" thread to start sharing your ideas, questions and dilemmas. I also created a thread where you can post links to y our own sites, articles, or other relevant resources.

I hope you'll be able to log on for the initial webinar (whether in real time or to the recording). It will be 2/21/12 at 12 PST-- log in at: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.187122BE1330F682CFBDD4C3A712C3&sid=727. We'll discuss planning and design issues using the E-Interview Research Framework. 

Thanks to Wendy, Anne and Nellie for joining in-- I know other contributors will be participating throughout the event. They will share their ideas and experiences with interview research conducted using a variety of tools.

See you online tomorrow!

Janet

by Jenny Mackness -

Hello Janet - I am looking forward to the session this evening. (I am based in the UK). I have used Skype for interviews for a paper I worked on in 2008 - and used Pamela for Skype for recording. I have also conducted email interviews for another paper I wrote.

Thanks for sharing your framework.

Jenny

by Barbie Bruce -

Hello Janet,

I live in the Rockies (Valemount, BC) and am a “mature” Masters of Education (Distance Education) student at Athabasca University. 

I am in the thesis proposal stage and plan to complete a mixed methods study.  The first part is the quantitative survey that will guide the second qualitative online interviews.

I used Skype and MP3 Skype recorder for a research assignment and both worked well.  I look forward to learning about any tools, tips, and techniques to advance my research skills.

Barbie Bruce

by Salwa Khan -

Hello Everyone,

My name is Salwa Khan and I am a media consultant/faculty development person at Texas State University.  I just completed my PhD degree and my study was done in Second Life, largely using in-world interviews and class observations.  I'm interested to see what Janet has prepared on this topic and to hear what others are doing.

-Salwa

by Moira Hunter -

Hello all,

I’m Moira Hunter in Paris, France and I’m looking forward to the session in a few hours.   I’m also doing  doctoral research and will be conducting online interviews  very shortly, hence my interest in participating here. 

In the past, I’ve used a variety of tools including Oovoo , Skype plus CallRecorder (Mac) and PowerGramo (PC), webconferencing  and also inworld interviews.  Recording inworld has its problems, depending upon what you want to do, and platforms such as vAcademia are interesting for the recording features, although public at the moment.

by Janet Salmons -

Visit the top level of the discussion forum to see more discussion threads and resources. Please feel free to share your own examples, including books or articles that may be of interest to others. And do post your questions-- Cases contributors and I are happy to share our thoughts, insights and suggestions.

by Suzanne Malek -

Hello everyone!

I am a doctoral student at Capella, in the dissertation phase, under the mentorship of Dr. Janet Salmons.  My topic of interest is in the area of virtual teaming.  I am an assistant professor online and a professional project manager. 

I have a copy of Dr. Salmons' book and have found it to be extremely helpful in providing some information on online interviewing techniques.

Suzanne

Re: Hello from Bron

by bronwyn hegarty -

Hello everyone. I have been following and keep putting off clicking the submit button to introduce myself. I am an Educational Developer at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, new Zealand in the Educational Development Centre.

I have recently submitted my Doctorate in Education so the waiting game is in progress. During my research I interviewed some participants using Skype, and also used telephone interviewing. I was really interested to hear about the options for interviewing presented in the webinar. I had never thought of using a virtual world to interview.

I am very interested to join the discussions and find out what everyone is doing. You can read more about me on my blog and on my profile page in WikiEducator. Bron

In reply to bronwyn hegarty

Re: Hello from Bron

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Bron and Suzanne!

Bron, I just posted a thread about videoconferencing and interviews. I hope you will share your experiences and what you learned from the process of planning and conducting interviews in SKYPE.

Best,

Janet

by Mary ALLBRIGHT -

I am a doctorate student in education curriculum & instruction. My dissertation topic is what are the barriers to rural students accessing higher education. My study will be qualitative in nature and will cover schools from 12 counties in the Arkansas Delta Region. My participants will be 11th and 12th graders, school guidance counselors, and parents of the junior and senior students. I hope to learn a lot from this workshop and have purchased the book Cases in Online Interview Research as well. I hope to do a lot of my face to face interviews online. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

In reply to Mary ALLBRIGHT

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Mary! See the info posted in the other threads and post your questions...we'll be happy to give you some ideas about how to proceed.

by Janet Salmons -

E-Panel webinar on e-interviews: Join me today with Cases in Online Interview Research contributors Allison Deegan (Ch. 3), Ann Randall (Ch. 5), Wendy K-Gauthier (Ch. 8), Lynn Wilson(Ch. 9) & Nellie Deutsch (Ch. 10). We'll discuss what we learned from our research and answer your questions. 

https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/launch/meeting.jnlp?sid=727&password=M.187122BE1330F682CFBDD4C3A712C3