Posts made by Richard Schwier

Sylvia, it's probably so large because it is packed with such weighty, scholarly discourse! :-)

Thanks for posting the alternative versions. Did you end up using Elluminate Publisher? How do you like it? Our university doesn't have a license to it, but I could certainly use something like that!
After the excellent discussion with Liz Burge today in our SCoPE session, I'm compelled to move our conversation into what this beast can and should look like, and how we can move the project forward. So let's get down to it, put on our hardhats, and discuss some ideas about how this collection should come together.

To lubricate the discussion, I'd like to offer a table of ideas that I extracted from a conversation my graduate students had about the the design of the collection. Their observations are in a table that I've attached to this message. Smart people = excellent recommendations! They include consideration of site design, content, page design and audience engagement.

So what do you think? What should this thing look like and how should it be designed?

Caveat: Keep in mind that we have no budget and only limited volunteer time.
I was chewing on the tenure idea too, Alice. On the one hand, I see the point that tenure may lead to complacency by some people. But I seldom actually see that happening in my university -- it seems like people are moving as fast as they can.

On the other hand, tenure could be seen as providing a level of protection/security that would lead to greater risk taking and personal investment. But I don't see that happening very often either.

I just don't see tenure as all that important a factor in the long run. One of the biggest culprits I see is time. Most people I know in higher education are living frantic lives, and at a pace that discourages investing in anything new -- anything that takes time or energy. Technology, teaching, public service and most anything else that is not deemed "mission critical" and rewarded by the institution are often neglected as a result.

I like your idea of encouragement, because I do think that once instructors experience the excitement and potential of technology to support some exciting learning opportunities for students, they will be "hooked" on the experience and the satisfaction.
Agreed, Cynthia. We can accept and accommodate any language that material is submitted in. We don't have a budget, so we couldn't get into translation services, of course, but i do hope we receive materials from around the world in whatever language people use.
I really like these suggestions Jeff, because they allow us to see technological change in larger contexts of learning. It is difficult to avoid just looking directly at educational technology in isolation. As you point out, the larger contexts can provide meaning in a way that is unavailable otherwise. I'm going to have to pick up Baudrillard.