Weekly summary and what's next

Weekly summary and what's next

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 8
I've spent some time pulling main questions, themes, and resources into a wiki. Hopefully this evolving summary will provide a quick overview of the who, what, and why of our Virtual Museum project, and perhaps make it easier for anyone joining us now in week 2, and later. I'll continue this process but feel free to edit and add to it as well!

Also, please mark your calendars for our next live session:
The History of Learning Technologies
Facilitator: Liz Burge
Moderator: George Siemens
October 14th, 9:00 am (PDT) 16:00 UTC (see world clock)
Elluminate: http://tinyurl.com/4wupyt

Liz Burge is a Professor of Adult Education at University of New Brunswick. No presentation this time! For this session we'll be using a Q & A format that will be much like a radio talk show. George Siemens, moderator, will field questions from the participants. If you have access to these articles it would be helpful for you to read them ahead of time. If you don't have access then be sure to come anyway!
  1. Burge, E. J. & Polec, J. Learning and teaching in practice: Where change and consistency interact. In Evans, T., Haughey, M. & Murphy, D. (Eds.) International handbook of distance education (pp. 237-258). Brighton, UK: Emerald Publishing. 2008
  2. Burge, E. J. Using Learning Technologies: Ideas for Keeping One's Balance. Educational Technology, v39 n6 p45-49 Nov-Dec 1999
You'll see from the sweatshirt Liz is wearing in the photo on her faculty page that Liz might have some brain-burning questions for us as well! approve

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Weekly summary and what's next

by Don McIntosh -
Great work on the wiki summary Sylvia. Thank you.

Should we start adding in details within the various lenses, for example, the names of people?

Should we add an area on audience and objectives?

Don.
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Sylvia Currie -
Good question, Don: Should we start adding in details within the various lenses, for example, the names of people?

I wonder if we should keep the wiki focused more on design, and the content for the museum can be mined from the forum later when we a place to put it. Does that make sense?

And speaking of content, we should contribute our stories, resources, artifacts, interviews and whatever comes to mind right here in the discussion. Feel free to start a new thread if you don't see an obvious place to post (Open the forum and click the "add a new discussion topic" button.) Did you mention somebody earlier who is an influential scholar in educational technology? Do you have more to say about what you consider to be an important event in the history of educational technology? Any objects sitting right there in your office or up in your attic that you can photograph?

by Alice Macpherson -
Very nice work in the wiki.
It is great to see the evolution "at a glance"! I love the discussion but confess that it is hard to hold all the pieces in my head.

The History of Learning Technologies with Liz Burge

by Sylvia Currie -
For those enjoying a long weekend for various reasons (Canadian Thanksgiving, US Columbus Day) Tuesday may come fast so I thought I should send a reminder about our live session. Please invite your colleagues!

October 14th, 9:00 am (PDT) 16:00 UTC (see world clock)
Elluminate: http://tinyurl.com/4wupyt

Liz Burge is a Professor of Adult Education at University of New Brunswick. No presentation this time! For this session we'll be using a Q & A format that will be much like a radio talk show. George Siemens, moderator, will field questions from the participants. If you have access to these articles it would be helpful for you to read them ahead of time. If you don't have access then be sure to come anyway!
  1. Burge, E. J. & Polec, J. Learning and teaching in practice: Where change and consistency interact. In Evans, T., Haughey, M. & Murphy, D. (Eds.) International handbook of distance education (pp. 237-258). Brighton, UK: Emerald Publishing. 2008
  2. Burge, E. J. Using Learning Technologies: Ideas for Keeping One's Balance. Educational Technology, v39 n6 p45-49 Nov-Dec 1999
You'll see from the sweatshirt Liz is wearing in the photo on her faculty page that Liz might have some brain-burning questions for us as well! approve

Update: Article # 2 is available online
http://www.miun.se/flexwebb/eng/download/usinglearningtechno.pdf

Re: The History of Learning Technologies with Liz Burge

by Sylvia Currie -
What a terrific session today! Here is the Elluminate recording. I'll work on getting different formats as well.

Also, we learned today that this article is online:
Burge, E. J. Using Learning Technologies: Ideas for Keeping One's Balance. Educational Technology, v39 n6 p45-49 Nov-Dec 1999
http://www.miun.se/flexwebb/eng/download/usinglearningtechno.pdf

Live session recordings

by Sylvia Currie -
I've added links in the seminar description but thought I should also send out a notice that both of our live sessions are available in MP3 format. I also made a standalone version of the Liz Burge session (no need to launch Elluminate to view).

For some reason the standalone version for Richard's session is over 200 MB! Not sure why but I decided to stop fiddling with it today. Maybe tomorrow all will be fine! smile

Project Launch: A Living History
Facilitator: Richard Schwier
October 1, 2008
| slides | Elluminate recording | (12.6 MB)

October 14, 2008
| Elluminate recording| (15.4 MB) | Standalone (11.3 MB)

Re: Live session recordings

by Richard Schwier -
Sylvia, it's probably so large because it is packed with such weighty, scholarly discourse! :-)

Thanks for posting the alternative versions. Did you end up using Elluminate Publisher? How do you like it? Our university doesn't have a license to it, but I could certainly use something like that!
In reply to Richard Schwier

Re: Live session recordings

by Sylvia Currie -
Richard, I think you're right about the weighty, scholarly discourse. That's the only conclusion that makes any sense!

Yes, I did use Publisher (thanks to George for pointing me in that direction). Nice part about this tool is that it isn't tied into the Elluminate admin area at all. You can convert any Elluminate recording that is available online. It could have some potential for organizing content for our museum collection. cool I'm just using the 30-day trial version but am looking into purchasing.