Inviting Colleagues to join us

Inviting Colleagues to join us

by Alice Macpherson -
Number of replies: 1
We are all apparently committed to acknowledging those who have gone before us and building on their good work.

On today's Elluminate presentation on the History of Learning Technologies there was a desire to move beyond a transmission model of teaching and to use educational technology to do this. One suggestions was to eliminate tenure. My question is: Will threatening a person's livelihood make them more likely to change in the desired direction?
Can we encourage and invite? What are the ways that we can engage colleagues to see a utility in some of our current technology and to be open to new possibilities that will support teaching for learning?

Dialogue and Discourse through collaborating, connectivism, constructivism, and creativity.

In reply to Alice Macpherson

Re: Inviting Colleagues to join us

by Richard Schwier -
I was chewing on the tenure idea too, Alice. On the one hand, I see the point that tenure may lead to complacency by some people. But I seldom actually see that happening in my university -- it seems like people are moving as fast as they can.

On the other hand, tenure could be seen as providing a level of protection/security that would lead to greater risk taking and personal investment. But I don't see that happening very often either.

I just don't see tenure as all that important a factor in the long run. One of the biggest culprits I see is time. Most people I know in higher education are living frantic lives, and at a pace that discourages investing in anything new -- anything that takes time or energy. Technology, teaching, public service and most anything else that is not deemed "mission critical" and rewarded by the institution are often neglected as a result.

I like your idea of encouragement, because I do think that once instructors experience the excitement and potential of technology to support some exciting learning opportunities for students, they will be "hooked" on the experience and the satisfaction.