Discussions started by Nalin Abeysekera

In Sri Lanka we have some e-learning courses running.. Once we are thinking of the future we are in a introductory stage of product life cycle. I am a lecturer at Open University and two of my courses of international marketing and advertising running…we are using this as a blended with face to face. still awareness level of e-learning is low, Some always thinking e-learning is all about computers.. but we can use instructional radio, television, CDs, s tec..etc…And students like the LMS of Moodle which is free.There are some problems like infrastructure, resources..but I think this is common once it comes to rural areas.. we have to discuss problems.. but we should start with the opportunities. According to my experience next 10 years is very important on  researching on this Vs distance mode in Sri Lanka to measure the attractiveness of e-learning..

So far we discussed some barriers in online as well as mobile learning. Now we can focus on success stories as well as the ways to overcome barriers….We can use success stories to overcome barriers, for that we can consider following factors as barriers,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·        Lack of resources/underutilization of resources

·        Infrastructure problems

·        Problems in awareness level of e-Learning

·        Attitude and perception

·        Leardership

·        Others

I have been involving with the students and lectures as well as school teachers in Sri Lanka.I am always conscious on this topic. We have our own problems. But I think we can generalize it to Asian Perspective. Many people talk about infrastructure, resources, and so on…yes they can be considering as barriers. but I think we need real champion…real leader to initiate e-Learning in countries like Sri Lanka….because there are problems always from the Environment….(PESTLE factors)….to address to these human factor is very important. We should talk about transformational leaders…!!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think we can discuss about PBL (problem based learning) also asa part of learning.Problem based learning (PBL) is diametrically different from the conventional didactic and teacher-centred approach to teaching.  The approach is primarily student-centred (Wilkerson, 1996) and the student assumes the major responsibility to his or her learning. Rather than the tutor dispensing the syllabic content, students decide and discover for themselves what they will learn.  Problems are first given as the starting point of their inquiry and students are required to solve the problem by providing relevant knowledge and skills. The students work in groups to allow for collaborative learning in order to harness the collective synergy of teamwork.  This is central to PBL as it mirrors real world situations where employees work in project teams to collaborate within and without. PBL plays a great role in collaborative learning.  (Wilkerson, 1996).I think in online forums and discussions  we can conduct it by forcusing on it.