Problem Based Learning(PBL)

Problem Based Learning(PBL)

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 2
I think we can discuss about PBL (problem based learning) also asa part of learning.Problem based learning (PBL) is diametrically different from the conventional didactic and teacher-centred approach to teaching.  The approach is primarily student-centred (Wilkerson, 1996) and the student assumes the major responsibility to his or her learning. Rather than the tutor dispensing the syllabic content, students decide and discover for themselves what they will learn.  Problems are first given as the starting point of their inquiry and students are required to solve the problem by providing relevant knowledge and skills. The students work in groups to allow for collaborative learning in order to harness the collective synergy of teamwork.  This is central to PBL as it mirrors real world situations where employees work in project teams to collaborate within and without. PBL plays a great role in collaborative learning.  (Wilkerson, 1996).I think in online forums and discussions  we can conduct it by forcusing on it.
In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

Re: Problem Based Learning(PBL)

by Inge Ignatia de Waard -
hi Nalin

This is a very interesting addition to the active learning method.

Looking forward to the seminar on teaching in developing countries. One of the forums I work with is Telemedicine, which is a problem based forum for medical doctors in the field.
The amount of feedback and knowledge that is generated through this approach is really amazing.

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

Re: Problem Based Learning(PBL)

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Thanks for mentioning this topic. The U.of S. College of Medicine has an extensive formal PBL program that requires faculty to take a one-week training program before they can participate in it. We have found it very effective in our interdisciplinary study courses for helping doctors appreciate the expertise of other health science disciplines.

Its draw back is the amount of time it takes to do well.