Posts made by Emma Duke-Williams

I've just seen a blog post by someone who's introducing his students to iPads; I don't think he's on here - so am going to point him here. :) It's an independent (private) school (as opposed to a University) in Scotland.

Nice pics of the kids (including some of the smallest) using their iPads on the school website
I've just seen information about two tablets that are due to be released in the UK in the run up to Xmas by one of the main Computer retailers. They're both Andriod powered - one's got a 7" screen & one a 10.1".

Of course, this is where it all gets interesting - I've got a "traditional" tablet PC (now, more accurately called a 'convertible', I understand, as it can be a regular laptop or a [now rather bulky!] touch sensitive [stylus/finger] tablet). That's clearly a very different beastie to a 7" one; but what about the diffs between it & a 10" screen ... especially if you add an external keyboard when you need it.

How also does one with a 7 or 5" screen differ from an iPod (or smart phone ignoring the phoney bits)?

I guess what I'm saying is that if this discussion is expanded we probably need some boundaries - so, my suggestion would be screens that are say 7"-11" (so, not too much need to worry about screen real estate in the same way as you do on a smartphone - but not a free-for-all like a dual 24" screen set up!); and the primary input being screen based (either finger or stylus) & weight being, well, not too much! OS could be iOS, Android, Windows; or even that $35 Indian one, if it ever gets off the ground!
And when the XO-3 arrives I hope they do another GiveOneGetOne promotion in the West :)
Any particular interests?
I've not got an iPad, but do have iPod - I use tweetdeck a lot, as well as Momento (but, as that's not free, perhaps not worth it for 2 weeks!)

ICOON (to communicate when you can't speak the same language as someone else!) is also great - though rather specific & again, not free.