Welcome to Educational Uses of iPads!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 33

About this seminar
In lecture halls and libraries, on the bus or at the beach, what makes the iPad a good fit for teaching and learning? We'll spend the next couple of weeks thinking about the educational uses of iPads. In addition to this asynchronous forum discussion we have scheduled 2 one-hour sessions in Elluminate each Wednesday at 19:00 GMT (12:00 PDT).

What if you don't own an iPad, you ask? No worries! There's still lots to talk about if you've been thinking about the potential of the iPad or similar mobile computers for learning.

About our facilitator
Brent Lee is one of the busiest people I know! He is an educational technologist and instructional designer in the Teaching and Learning Centre, as well as faculty in the Information Technology and Applied Systems department at Vancouver Island University. He also consults on many projects and is an active software developer.

Participating in SCoPE seminars
SCoPE seminars are free and open to the public, and registration is not required. You are welcome to come and go according to your schedule and interests. To contribute you will need to create an account on the SCoPE site -- a quick process. Are you new to SCoPE or wondering how to manage your participation? Check this resource.

If you're a Diigo or Delicious user be sure to add the tags 'iPad' and 'scopeseminar'. In Diigo also include the SCOPE group.

Off we go! Brent has already kicked off with a couple interesting questions. As always, feel free to start your own discussion threads with new topics as well.

If you have any questions about participating in SCoPE don't hesitate to ask here in the forum, or get in touch with me directly:
Sylvia Currie, scurrie@bccampus, skype:webbedfeat, +1 250-318-2907
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Welcome to Educational Uses of iPads!

by Jacqui Kelly -
Hi Sylvia,

This sessions sounds really interesting - unfortunately here in Australia the session is on in the early hours of the morning - so I was wondering if the session could be recorded and the link distributed to those of us who won't be able to make it?

Kind regards,
Jacqui
In reply to Jacqui Kelly

Re: live sessions + recording

by Sylvia Currie -
Jacqui, yes, for sure we'll record the session for those who can't make it or want to revisit. We've scheduled the session in Elluminate but I'm realizing now that we can't participate using our iPads because Apple doesn't support Java. (I'm a little slow to figure these things out! clown ) But I'll be sure to convert the recordings for playback on the iPad.

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Sylvia,
in the announcement it says "2 one-hour sessions in Elluminate each Wednesday at 19:00 GMT (12:00 PDT)" -- but I think you mean 12 PDT and 1:00 GMT -- is that correct? I thought I couldn't make it at 7:00 in the evening as I have a client -- but 1:00 is great. Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Emma Duke-Williams -
According to TimeAndDate - 12:00 PDT (assuming that's Pacific Daylight .. as that's the only PDT in the list) is 19:00 GMT
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?day=19&month=10&year=2010&hour=12&min=0&sec=0&p1=137&p2=0

In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Kim FLINTOFF -
Yep.. 3AM in my part of the world... And I suspect that's why Jac asked about recordings.... There's only so many predawn seminars you can do before the novelty wears off and exhaustion sets in...

by WL Wong -
Thanks Sylvia for organising this and Brent for leading the forum. Looking forward to the discussions; and exploring the potential and possibilities with iPad.

by Heidi Piltz -
Thanks for starting this seminar - it's a topic in which I'm keenly interested, although I don't have an iPad at my disposal - yet!

In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Heidi Piltz -
Here's a link to a new article entitled "Apple's iPad goes to campus: A look at the opportunities, hurdles".
In it, the author points out that K-7 use could be problematic:
"K-12 adoption is iffy. Why? The iPad doesn’t have native monitoring. “If you are going to give underage students a device which can easily access the Internet for research and other uses, you had better have a way to monitor what they are doing,”
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by WL Wong -
Heidi,

There may be other ways to adapt this for use with K-6, so there can be a workaround to not having native monitoring on iPad.
In reply to WL Wong

by Heidi Piltz -
I hope so, although not having an iPad to try out at the moment, I haven't had the chance to experiment, to try to find a way to limit student choices (other than standing right there and supervising directly). Our school district has a certain level of filtering district-wide, so that theoretically, students will not be able to access certain undesirable websites. Also, in most browsers, you can adjust browser preference settings, to "strict search" levels, which helps a great deal. I can't imagine it would be any different on an iPad, unless they have invented their own browser with no preferences. (Anyone out there: what does iPad use for browing the internet? Safari? Firefox? Google Chrome? Opera? ?)
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by WL Wong -
Safari is default like in iPhone on iPad.
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Kim FLINTOFF -
While Safari is the default there is a growing range if alternatives. Besides, many apps are effectively purpose built browsers and bypass the need to open a generic browser anymore. This is a whole new world of interaction and trying to lock it down is a pointless and retrograde activity.

The iPad is a personal device - to try to lock it into some institutional uniformity is equally silly.

It really does feel like we've stepped back 15 years in relation to access practices and policies in schools when I hear about such undertakings.
In reply to Kim FLINTOFF

by Heidi Piltz -
Having provided "computer technology" classes for prep time during the last 5 years, I have listened to concerns of parents about the possibility of their child accidentally coming across something undesirable on the internet, particularly a photograph involving sex or violence. As one parent put it, "you can't un-see something". Even such a simple search as "Easter Bunny" images, will get you a photo of a rabbit humping a chicken (do it now - it will be about image #15 from the top) - and that is not caught by the school district's filter, nor the browser's "strict safe search" setting. One school's general policy for accidental inappropriate search results was to exit the site immediately, and then tell the teacher. But these issues are not specific to iPads - and clearly, even the network filters don't catch everything, so education is key.
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Jacqui Kelly -
As Kim mentioned, by default Safari is the web browser that comes installed on the iPad but there are a number of other web browsing apps out there.

My current favourite is Atomic Web which also allows tabbed browsing. It also has the added functionality of letting you choose what browser you want to view it in.

You have the option of choosing from:
  • Default - Mobile Safari
  • Mobile Safari - iPhone
  • Mobile Safari - iPad
  • Safari Desktop
  • Wap Device
  • Firefox 3
  • Internet Explorer 6
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • Internet Explorer 8
Although I admit to not having tested how accurate these browser representations are... I use this app all the time.

There is a quick review here for those interested: http://weeklyipad.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/atomic-web/

Kind regards,
Jacqui

In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Emma Duke-Williams -

Heidi Piltz wrote,

Our school district has a certain level of filtering district-wide, so that theoretically, students will not be able to access certain undesirable websites.

Guess it depends if you get the wifi only ones (which would be on the local network, so have just the same filtering as anything else in the school) or 3G ones - which wouldn't. But I don't imagine many schools would want to pay the 3G connection charges!

In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Kim FLINTOFF -
The author may make these assertions but to mind they're unnecessary. I've worked with a 1-1 laptop program, every staff member and every student had their own machine, with full admin rights and no active monitoring or filtering.

It worked well - prohibition was seen as counter-productive and the whole exercise of appropriate and responsible use is undermined if its not possible for a student has the responsibility stripped away.

Education is always a better option.
In reply to Kim FLINTOFF

by Mike Ma -
I agree that education is the better option, however I can think of many cases within certain K-12 school districts that your suggested approach would represent a problem (e.g., certain districts in the conservative southern US as an example). There must be other approaches to this problem.
In reply to Mike Ma

by Kim FLINTOFF -
Without sounding too flippant - I guess defining what the problem really is will contribute to arrive at a desired outcome. In this cas, I'd be the one saying the administration and its position was the problem...and backing it up with lots of research and evidence... It may take a long while but the effort would be worth it.
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Brent Lee -
Heidi,

A very interesting article.

Although the device does not have native monitoring, control and monitoring can still take place at the network level.

In the program that I teach in here at Vancouver Island University, we work with firewalls and solutions to monitor and control networks. With the iPad on a network, we can monitor and control access if needed.

One might argue that the cell phones are already causing this problem in K-12, and that iPads not using a data plan would be easier to control.

Cheers,

Brent.
In reply to Brent Lee

by Heidi Piltz -
Brent,

Last year, we had an epidemic of cell phones, iPod touch and similar devices (post-Christmas); one teacher, unwilling to spend time monitoring their usage, had her students drop all such items in her "treasure chest", where they stayed until the end of the day.

In the computer lab setting, I encouraged students to test their devices, to see if they could access the resources we were using on the regular computers (World Book online, etc.). We discovered that although they worked wonderfully, and supplemented our limited computer resources quite nicely, one downside was their added burden to the wireless network, particularly video clips or audio.

Clandestine YouTube viewing inside the desks of several intermediate classrooms became an issue for some students and teachers: as a distraction from class work, as a means of viewing inappropriate material, and slowing the wireless network. From my perspective as the computer teacher, I could usually tell when this occurred, due to the effect on the rest of the computers in the school. Unless the wireless networks (and the pipelines coming into the school) are sufficiently upgraded, iPads will add to the network traffic jam.

At present, this could be a bigger problem than content for iPad use, where I am teaching. iPads may be easier to monitor in a friendly way, as they are much larger than their smaller cousins - plus their desirability may inspire students to cooperate by "playing by the rules", in exchange for the privilege of using one. This won't last, but is probably good for a few years, anyway!
:)
Heidi

In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Kim FLINTOFF -
Stephen Heppell suggests that a switched off device is a switched off student. The scenario you describe sounds tough but not one that couldn't be turned around. the students sound totally normal...

Rich engaging learning activites and strong posiptive relationships with students will normally see most of their efforts invested in learning activiteis... We all check our email, pay our bills and stay in touch with friends and family during the working day, why do we think students wouldn't want the same??

Reasonable expectations breed success...
In reply to Kim FLINTOFF

by Heidi Piltz -
I agree Kim. I would rather have the devices out front, and on the table, with the students focusing their attention on critical thinking, making good choices and learning self-control. After all, we're preparing them for life. Even though the tools will have changed by the time they're in the work force, I'm betting that the ethics and work etiquette won't have changed much - someone who is playing online games instead of dealing with their work assignment won't last long!
One of my goals as a senior teacher, is to gently coax those colleagues with strong Luddite tendencies, towards feeling comfortable with 21st century technology.
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by Kim FLINTOFF -
On "clandestine" viewing... Your network administrator should be easily able to prioritise traffic according to subnets... If you're not needing YouTube in your area it is ranked low priority and other tasks take precedence... A bit of nowse is all that's required there.
In reply to Kim FLINTOFF

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
I work occasionally in a location where UTube and Blogs are banned because someone decided they would "waste time". Every time I am there I bang my head because great resources aren't available.

Why not put out a challenge to the UTubers, "Find me a resource for this class" I'll bet you will be impressed with what surfaces and it's a great opportunity for them to increase their literacy about what is available beyond entertainment.

by Heidi Piltz -
I can't see anything posted by Brent. Am I looking at the wrong place? All I see are the postings on this page.
In reply to Heidi Piltz

by WL Wong -
Go back one level up - http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=8491

by Heidi Piltz -
Re: Elluminate web conference.
I just had a peek at their login page - will we be logging in with our SCoPE name and password?
What technology do I need to participate? Can I use my MacBook?
I just want to be ready, since I don't want to miss any of it by fumbling around trying to get logged in at the last minute.
Thanks
In reply to Heidi Piltz

Re: Elluminate session today!

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for asking those questions, Heidi, because others might be wondering the same thing.

When you log into Elluminate just put your first and last name. Sometimes people add their location, like this:
Sylvia Currie, British Columbia

Recently I've noticed people also add their twitter ID, which is handy.

Your MacBook should be just fine. For first time users I recommend going to this page ahead of time: http://www.elluminate.com/support

I'll be in the room by 11:30 PDT so feel free to come in early and we can make sure everything is working for you.

See you there!

Re: Elluminate session today!

by Heidi Piltz -
Thanks Sylvia. So far, I have discovered that I need to use the Safari browser, not Firefox (the one I usually use. So any Mac users out there: take note!

by WL Wong -
University of Adelaide in Australia is offering free iPad to all first year science students in 2011 - http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news41241.html

by Emma Duke-Williams -
I've just seen a blog post by someone who's introducing his students to iPads; I don't think he's on here - so am going to point him here. :) It's an independent (private) school (as opposed to a University) in Scotland.

Nice pics of the kids (including some of the smallest) using their iPads on the school website

by WL Wong -
The inkling app keeps popping up - http://www.inkling.com/ ; check out the video.

Is it Transformational?

by Jeffry Curtis -
http://www.ineducation.ca/article/open-learning-cms-and-open-learning-network

In the third paragraph past the abstract Mott and Wiley caution us, "that the failure of technology to transform learning stems from a preoccupation with "the tactical implementation of specific technologies which often simply automate the past"."

The iPad is a cool tool. Is it the tool?

Regards,

Jeff