Posts made by Janet Salmons

The first topic we'll discuss is the E-Interview Research Framework, and its use in guiding research design. The Framework is a collection of inter-related models and key questions essential to e-interview research. I will explain the Framework and discuss the models in our synchronous session on Tuesday.

E-Interview Research Framework

See the Prezi overview and the brief recorded introduction!

Please take a look at the explanation in Chapter 1 of Cases in Online Interview Research. If you do not have the book you can use the free chapter posted on the Sage site.

The first two steps are:
I. Aligning Purpose and Design, and

II. Choosing E-Interviews for the Study.

Thinking about research you have conducted, plan or hope to conduct, share a little about why you want to collect data online and how the interview approach will fit into the research design.

Janet with CasesHello everyone! I am looking forward to getting acquainted with you and sharing ideas about online interview research.

Please let us know a little about yourself-- where are you logging in from, and what is your interest in this topic? Have you conducted research with online interviews? If so, what technology did you use? Or, are you planning to use this approach for a future project?

What do you hope to get out of this Professional Reading Seminar?

Cases in Online Interview Research is a selective collection of case studies and critiques. Ten researchers were each invited to create a case study of the online research dimension of their research in a consistent format that encourages cross-case comparisons. This international group of researchers represents diverse disciplines, including business, education, psychology, climate science, communications, museum studies and health. They use varied qualitative methodologies including case study, grounded theory, action research, and phenomenology. Some of the contributors will join us during the Reading Group seminar.

kissI look forward to exploring the E-Interview Research Framework E-Interview Research Frameworkand the cases, as well as the research (or research teaching) questions of the SCoPE community in this Professional Reading Group event!

A preliminary plan includes a synchronous event to launch and to close the discussion. The seminar will be shaped by the active participants, so we may spend more time on cases or your areas of interest.

February 20-25

• Part 1. Framework for E-Interview Research: A synchronous session with Janet Salmons will explore the 8 inter-related categories of key questions about online interview research that serves as is the organizational principle for the book. We'll explore the implications for planning to conduct research interviews online, or teaching/guiding student researchers. We'll discuss Chapter 1.
  • Part 2. Interviews and Postings: Conducting Research with Social Media
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 2 and 3.
  • Part 3. Interviews and Observations: Conducting Research in Immersive 3D MUVES
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 4 - 7.

February 27-March 3

• Part 4: Visual and Verbal Interviews: Conducting Research in Meeting or Videoconference Spaces
    Q & A and discussion about Chapters 8-11.
  • Part 5: Online Interviews in Your Research: A synchronous session with Janet Salmons and contributors to Cases in Online Interview Research We'll discuss Chapter 12.

Cases in Online Interview Research is available from Sage Publications and your favorite bookseller in November 2011. Cases and Online Interviews in Real Time will also be available as CourseSmart and Kindle e-books, in November 2011. International availability may be a bit later.

Stay in touch at www.vision2lead.com, Facebook or Twitter.

I set up a group, Qualitative E-Research, on a wiki called Methodspace. Log in at http://www.methodspace.com/group/eresearch, it is free to join. While there you may find other interesting groups or maybe you will start a new one!

I set up a new parallel Qualitative E-Research group in Second Life. Once we have a group of members, I will organize some regular meetings in world where we can discuss online data collection in immersive environments or other forms of e-research.

If you have joined Second Life, you can search for the group ("Qualitative E-Research"), or send me your avatar's name and I will invite you. My avatar is Soleil Lemondrop*.

Come join if you'd like to continue the exchange and discussion!

This week I am discussing my book and online interviews in Second Life on February 18th at 6 SLT (SLT=PST) In the Readers’ Garden http://tinyurl.com/yl886ch. Soleil readingThe flier is online at http://www.vision2lead.com/Interviewavatars.pdf 

Janet

* Yes, I have a new avatar. This weekend Opal was "ghosted" so I had to create a clone. If only it was this easy in first life, I could keep a clone pretty busy!

The session about online interviews with videoconferencing is now online! In this session we discuss features of Vidyo Corocall, as well as the ways they can be used for research.

http://support.coroware.com/downloads/SCoPE_Conference_2010_Jan_29.wmv

Many of the points made in this presentation would apply to a "video call" such as Skype as well as videoconference facilities.

There are a few particular advantages of the more fully functioning desktop videoconferencing demonstrated with Corocall. This kind of tool include ability to use shared applications for visual elicitation or collaboration, or for shared manipulation of software or other research tools. This option would make it useful for the sorting process involved with Q method, for example.

You can record (and edit) the interview event.

It offers the ability to conduct group interviews or focus groups. As many as 8 people can be online, on camera. Since multiple people can be in the "room" but not on camera, it is possible to have observers. Needless to say, covert observers would be unethical. However, with the research participant's agreement, observation by a research assistant could be useful.This observational capacity would allow instructors and students to demonstrate and practice interview skills in an instructional situation.

Contact information for Martin is posted in this forum, if you have additional questions about the capacity or potential research applications of Corocall.

While our seminar is now formally over, I will answer questions you may have about this presentation.

Janet