Live Session: Vidyo for online interviews

Live Session: Vidyo for online interviews

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 11

The second live session we are scheduling next week to demonstrate and discuss some ways to use online tools for online interviews is using Vidyo. Based on the Using Vidyo for Online Interviews Doodle poll results, there are a couple times that work well for 11 of the 12 people who voted. The kind folks at Vidyo have offered to host 2 sessions to accommodate as many people as possible. approve Both will be recorded.

Where: VidyoConferencing Room (URL to follow)
When: Friday, January 29, 2010 at:
1) 19:00 GMT - Check time and date for your time zone
2) 21:00 GMT - Check time and date for your time zone

You will need an audio set up, including a microphone. I have also set up a Backnoise chat so that we will have a way to communicate by text:
http://backnoise.com/?eResearch
(Or go to Backnoise.com and enter 'eResearch' where it says 'conversation name'.)
There is no login required for this chat tool.

Janet will be posting more details about Vidyo and how to prepare for this session.
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Live Session: Vidyo for online interviews

by Janet Salmons -

Hello everyone,

I look forward to seeing you in this session. Vidyo Corocall is a desktop videoconferencing system with many features of use to researchers and educators generally. Great thanks to Martin Harvey for making this session possible. Please see the attached document for minimum technical requirements to participate.

If you are following along in the book, I will be discussing points covered in Chapters 6 and 7 about alignment with interview type, preparing for and conducting an interview.

In the book I distinguish between video calls and videoconferencing. Video call products include Skype or call features connected with Yahoo or Google instant messaging. Videoconferencing, whether in a room or on a computer, generally refers to a more sophisticated system with additional features. Many of the same interview principles apply.

See you there! (Really, if you have a webcam we'll see you!)

Janet

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Syvia-

I am a little confused regarding the time -- are these two separate sessions on the same day?

Thank you.

Jeffrey

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Martin Harvey -
Yes Jeffrey there are two sessions - the reason being it's a little more flexible for attendees plus we only have a maximum of 20 ports available for the Vidyo session. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Martin
(CoroWare - CoroCall)
In reply to Martin Harvey

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Thank you for the clarification about Friday's session, Martin.

by Janet Salmons -

In the Elluminate session (see recorded session if you missed it live https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2010-01-25.1311.M.AC456DEF2B5841109A2E4E2783A336.vcr) we explored the use of visual elicitation, visual communication and visual collaboration in online interviews. In the Vidyo CoroCall session we will explore visual communications of a different kind-- and discuss why you would choose one tool or another given your research purpose and design. The Vidyo session will be recorded and we'll post that link here as well, for follow-up discussion.

Log into the session using the following URL : http://bit.ly/scope-conf. We encourage you to log in ahead of the session to check your configuration.

You will see the following Login dialog screen:Vidyo log in

Sign in as a guest (as illustrated) in the Guest Name box – and please make the name so we can identify you.

Please refer to the “User Minimum Requirements” document prior to joining the session.

We are offering the same session twice to add scheduling flexibility. Please join us! SEE you there!

In reply to Janet Salmons

by Martin Harvey -
Thanks Janet.

I am Martin Harvey and am delighted to be joining you on behalf of CoroWare with my colleague Joshua Sherman. I will be available in my CoroCall room for the whole hour prior to each of the two meetings.
In reply to Martin Harvey

by Janet Salmons -
SEE you tomorrow in the Vidyo CoroCall meeting!cool
In reply to Janet Salmons

by Martin Harvey -
As Janet mentioned feel free to login in up to an hour ahead of the event just to verify all looks okay with your configuration. Don't forget to check the UserMinimumRequirements (attached here) that Janet uploaded. Ironically the key requirements is your audio equipment - the "wrong" choice can cause echo unless controlled which ironically doesn't affect the perpetrator but all others on the conference! Finally if you're in any doubt feel free to ping me on Skype at coroware_mharvey during the day.

Thanks.

by Sylvia Currie -
For those who missed the session on using videoconferencing for online interviews, here is a recording (.wmv) We used Vidyo, and the kind folks from CoroWare made that possible. (Thanks again, Martin and Joshua!)

by Janet Salmons -

The session about online interviews with videoconferencing is now online! In this session we discuss features of Vidyo Corocall, as well as the ways they can be used for research.

http://support.coroware.com/downloads/SCoPE_Conference_2010_Jan_29.wmv

Many of the points made in this presentation would apply to a "video call" such as Skype as well as videoconference facilities.

There are a few particular advantages of the more fully functioning desktop videoconferencing demonstrated with Corocall. This kind of tool include ability to use shared applications for visual elicitation or collaboration, or for shared manipulation of software or other research tools. This option would make it useful for the sorting process involved with Q method, for example.

You can record (and edit) the interview event.

It offers the ability to conduct group interviews or focus groups. As many as 8 people can be online, on camera. Since multiple people can be in the "room" but not on camera, it is possible to have observers. Needless to say, covert observers would be unethical. However, with the research participant's agreement, observation by a research assistant could be useful.This observational capacity would allow instructors and students to demonstrate and practice interview skills in an instructional situation.

Contact information for Martin is posted in this forum, if you have additional questions about the capacity or potential research applications of Corocall.

While our seminar is now formally over, I will answer questions you may have about this presentation.

Janet