Posts made by Penny Heaslip

Thompson Rivers University Centre for Teaching and Learning has been involved in the following initiatives over the past six months since our last meetings. We held a series of faculty development activities; “May Daze” which included ISW’s, topics on Technologies in the Classroom and intercultural workshops. We had a very interesting workshop on Documenting the Moment; the use of Illustrated Journals for learning by Dr. Lyn Baldwin. Our major initative is to provide workshops for faculty and students on Intercultural workshops. Kyra Garson has been instrumental in leading this initiative. Kyra provided copies of the manual she produced for TRU-World and is available to workshop faculty on this topic across the province. In August we held a week long series of sessions and one of the most popular was on Portfolio preparation. We also through Open Learning division had our second conference on Tech-It –Up.

We have apply to the CASTL program and are submitting a PD proposal to BC Campus.

TRU Centre for Teaching and Learning has Dr Norm Friesen (Canada Research Chair e-Learning Practices), Doug Balestha ( Educational Technology Co-ordinator) , Kyra Garson TRU-World consultant, Ted Keating of TRU Open Learning Tutor support.

TRU enjoyed hosting the UCIPD Network and hope that we can do so again. Thanks for coming. It was a stimulating meeting.

Penny Heaslip

Here is the TRU Newsletter for August / September 2007 (pdf File)

I assume everyone has received the meeting materials for the UCIPD meeting on Sept 21, 2007 in Kamloops. If you have not please contact Penny Heaslip pheaslip@tru.ca 

Also I have a question. Is every college, university and institute in BC represented on this list and / or the UCIPD list?  Just wondering how inclusive we are?  For example do the representatives have to be heads of  Centres for Teaching and Learning or are other faculty involved in PD welcome at these meetings? Do we have terms of reference or are we less formal re membership and how often etc we meet. Can someone inlighten me as to who is welcome at thge UCIPD meetings?   

Penny Heaslip

Good Day,

Penny Heaslip, Coordinator, Centre for Teaching and Learning at Thompson Rivers University. My appointment dates are May 1, 2006 to May 2008. I have a .75% position with the Centre and a .25% as a nurse educator. The proceeding five years were spent as chairperson of the department of nursing. Our Centre is funded through the Comprehensive University Enhancement Fund at TRU. Each student on campus with their student fees pays into this fund to support a number of extra initiatives on the campus.

I am a nurse educator, researcher, and faculty development expert actively involved in the implementation of curricula reform for critical thinking. As an international presenter and workshop leader on critical thinking, I promote the integration of the theoretical constructs and practical application of critical thinking teaching strategies for classroom and in the case of nursing clinical practice. I have thirty-seven years of teaching experience in nursing education including university, college, and diploma hospital based programs and post-RN baccalaureate programs. I am also very actively involved in international nursing iniatives with the placement of student nurses in Samoa, Thailand and other interesting countries in the world. I am developing a deep interest in education in foreign countries and working with non-domestic students in Canada.

I was the founding member of International Nurse Educators Critical Thinking Network, which later became NRSINGED an online discussion group for nurse educators. I have been an ongoing workshop presenter for the Critical Thinking Organization out of Dillion Beach, California. I have served as an Editor at Large for the Academic Exchange Quarterly Publication, a staff development publication of Chattanooga State Technical Community College.

Enough about me what about you?

Penny Heaslip BScN, Med (Admin), RN

Penny Heaslip BScN, MEd, RN

Coordinator, Centre for Teaching and Learning

Box 3010

Thompson Rivers University e-mail:

pheaslip@tru.ca

Kamloops, British Columbia voice: 1-250-828-5438

Canada V2C 5N3 fax: 1-250-372-5976

URL:

http://www.tru.ca/nursing/faculty/heaslip/

NRSINGED Member's Subscription Options are at