Welcome and Introductions

Welcome and Introductions

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings!

I'm pleased to send you the first SCoPE message of the fall, inviting you to meet other UCIPD members online, and exchange ideas and information.  The UCIPD meetings offer us all an opportunity to spend time with kindred spirits, and this forum provides an ideal way to keep in contact in between gatherings. We represent Teaching and Learning centres from all over British Columbia and although geography often prevents us from meeting face to face, we can connect here at any time. 

You are invited to respond to this message and introduce yourself and your work.  Click on Reply at the bottom of this message, or use on of the other links to go to the ScoPE site.  When you reply, your message will appear in SCoPE as well as in the Inbox of all members. (You can click on your own name in SCoPE to change your preferences to Digest, if you prefer to get all messages at one time .)  I suggest you re-name the subject line in your reply, to identify your centre and location,  so that we can return and find you in the discussion thread later on.

Please tell us a little about your institution, your centre, the staff, yourself and, of course, whether or not you like cats cool

Looking forward to hearing from you.

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Re: Welcome and Introductions

by Penny Heaslip -

Good Day,

Penny Heaslip, Coordinator, Centre for Teaching and Learning at Thompson Rivers University. My appointment dates are May 1, 2006 to May 2008. I have a .75% position with the Centre and a .25% as a nurse educator. The proceeding five years were spent as chairperson of the department of nursing. Our Centre is funded through the Comprehensive University Enhancement Fund at TRU. Each student on campus with their student fees pays into this fund to support a number of extra initiatives on the campus.

I am a nurse educator, researcher, and faculty development expert actively involved in the implementation of curricula reform for critical thinking. As an international presenter and workshop leader on critical thinking, I promote the integration of the theoretical constructs and practical application of critical thinking teaching strategies for classroom and in the case of nursing clinical practice. I have thirty-seven years of teaching experience in nursing education including university, college, and diploma hospital based programs and post-RN baccalaureate programs. I am also very actively involved in international nursing iniatives with the placement of student nurses in Samoa, Thailand and other interesting countries in the world. I am developing a deep interest in education in foreign countries and working with non-domestic students in Canada.

I was the founding member of International Nurse Educators Critical Thinking Network, which later became NRSINGED an online discussion group for nurse educators. I have been an ongoing workshop presenter for the Critical Thinking Organization out of Dillion Beach, California. I have served as an Editor at Large for the Academic Exchange Quarterly Publication, a staff development publication of Chattanooga State Technical Community College.

Enough about me what about you?

Penny Heaslip BScN, Med (Admin), RN

Penny Heaslip BScN, MEd, RN

Coordinator, Centre for Teaching and Learning

Box 3010

Thompson Rivers University e-mail:

pheaslip@tru.ca

Kamloops, British Columbia voice: 1-250-828-5438

Canada V2C 5N3 fax: 1-250-372-5976

URL:

http://www.tru.ca/nursing/faculty/heaslip/

NRSINGED Member's Subscription Options are at

http://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/listinfo/nrsinged

The Uvic Mailman-NRSINGED Archive is at

http://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/private/nrsinged/

Chris Groeneboer, Learning and Instructional Development Centre, SFU

by Deleted user -

Hi, This is Chris Groeneboer checking in. My contact info is: 

Chris Groeneboer

Manager, Applied Research in Teaching (ART)

Learning and Instructional Development Centre

7560 Education Building

Simon Fraser University

8888 University Drive

Burnaby, BC Canada V5A 1S6

T 604.268.6850 F 604.291.4900

chris_groeneboer@sfu.ca

Chris Groeneboer, LIDC, SFU

by Deleted user -

Thanks to Liz for setting up the SCOPE area for UCIPD and facilitating the discussion. The great thing about this space is that many more people can participate in discussion here than can make face-to-face meetings.  And we don't have the time limits that constrain f2f.

Of course, I'll miss the social interactions in the f2f. The UCIPD group is so experienced, supportive, and creative. It's such a great group. And now the torch is passed on to Liz and Stephanie (well, Stephanie was already there) as SFU designates.  Russell will also be there representing STLHE (and SFU).

Re: Welcome and Introductions

by Valerie Peachey -

Hi Everyone,

I'm Val Peachey at the Justice Institute.  The JI is somewhat of a unique institution with a focus on training and education in Public Safety(Fire, Police, Paramedics, Courts, Corrections among other providers). Although we are a public post-secondary institute and fall under the college and institutes act, we are not provided with base funding from AVED and only receive a small portion of our funding through them. Most of our revenue comes from tuition fees and client contracts. 

As the Manager of Credentialing at the JI, I work as an internal consultant with all the academies and divisions to ensure all the certificates, diplomas and degrees are quality driven and academically rigorous. As part of this initiative we are just starting to explore  how we might implement a faculty development program. However at this time we have no funding, no permanent position, center etc.  Its quite informal and so I'd love to hear from anyone who has started from scratch and built up a business case, along with some options for funding the training.

So that's me.. I look forward to reading about everyone else.. as our time permits.

Until next time, best regards and many thanks again to Liz for getting this going.

Regards,

Val Peachey

tel: 604-528-5603

email: vpeachey@jibc.ca

Jan Johnson, Centre for Teaching & Academic Growth, UBC

by Jan Johnson -
Hi everyone,

I'm Jan Johnson, a Facilitator and Instructional Developer in the Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth (TAG) at UBC, and a member of the UCIPD Planning Team.

TAG is a campus-wide centre which has been 'fostering quality teaching and learning since 1987.' We receive much of our funding for programs and services from the UBC Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (TLEF), which is a fund paid for from student fees. We currently have 18 people working in our Centre, some full time and some part time, including several students.

We offer a wide range of programs and services for all members of the UBC teaching community - including grad students who want to learn to teach, but are not yet doing so. One of our recent and growing initiatives is our Communities of Practice - groups of individuals working together, with TAG support, on teaching, learning and academic growth topics of interest to them. We have also this year implemented a much expanded teaching program for grad students - including the Student Horizons in Education (SHINE) program, and a Graduate Student Certificate in Teaching program.

For information on our other programs and services, I encourage you to visit our web site at <http://www.tag.ubc.ca>. Some of our offerings are open to participants from beyond UBC - if you're interested in participating in something and you're not sure if that's possible from our website information, please get in touch with me.

My academic background is in geography and environmental studies, and adult education. I spent 12 years working for the BC provincial government in snow avalanche safety before coming to UBC. With 26 years of teaching experience, I have taught in areas ranging from weather observations and avalanche rescue to facilitation, curriculum design and adult learning. I  recently completed a six month, half time secondment position with BCcampus, looking at professional development for postsecondary educators related to educational technology and online learning. In addition to my work with TAG, I consult as a facilitator for organizations involved in strategic planning, visioning, retreats, etc., and work with the Canadian Avalanche Association in areas of curriculum development and instructor training for their Industry Training Program. I am an Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) Facilitator and Trainer, and am currently Co-Chair of the ISW International Advisory Committee.

I look forward to hearing about you!

Regards,

Jan

Janice Johnson
Facilitator & Instructional Developer
Centre for Teaching & Academic Growth
University of British Columbia
6326 Agricultural Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
URL: http://www.tag.ubc.ca
Email: janice.johnson@ubc.ca
Phone: (604) 822-6834

Alice Macpherson, The Centre for Academic Growth, Kwantlen

by Alice Macpherson -

Hello Colleagues

I have a deep committment to life long learning and am currently pursuing docotral studies in education and business at Simon Fraser University. My background includes a full career as a tradeswoman (mechanic), a trades and safety instructor, taking and teaching in the Provincial Instructor Diploma Program, curriculum development, program assessment, module writing, facilitation, research, and conference presentations.

I am the Coordinator of Kwantlen's new Centre for Academic Growth. We are in the process of morphing from Professional Development Support Services to a support service for faculty academic growth. PDSS continues to offer workshops and training opportunities to all employees while the new Centre includes a more academically focused component that will support faculty in their scholarly activities and their scholarship of teaching and learning. Last year we ran a pilot on creating Faculty Learning Communities and an initial mentoring program. This year we are doing more and have been accepted as part of a CASTL Leadership Cluster looking at Faculty Learning Communities.

Our Website is http://www.kwantlen.ca/pdss and gives information about current projects and options available. In general our projects are conceived and developed and then funding is sought. Core funding is primarily limited to my position at 75% and a staff position at 75%. I am also the PLA Coordinator for Kwantlen and my staff partner does registrations and support for Kwantlen's Third Age Learning programs.

We have a presence everywhere at Kwantlen, and our office is located on the Newton campus where we have accumulated a small library of materials that support our workshops and programs.

More will be revealed

Alice Macpherson
PD & PLA Coordinator
The Centre for Academic Growth
Kwantlen University College
http://www.kwantlen.ca/pdss
604 599-3040

"Self-knowledge is best learned, not by contemplation, but action." - Goethe

Douglas College: The Douglas Douglas Development Team

by Deleted user -

Hello fellow SCoPE users,

It’s long overdue, but at last we are ready to post some information about the work we do in employee development through the Douglas Development Office at Douglas College.  I’d like to introduce the Douglas Development Coordinators, a quartet of three faculty and one staff who are responsible for building employee capacity by providing high quality, timely professional development at Douglas College.  Our acronym is DDT, but there is nothing toxic about us!  Douglas Development Coordinators are seconded from their home faculties for a three year period, but we maintain other identities:

• Julia Robinson also coordinates the Learning Centre on campus
  • Thea Berretta also teaches in Sociology
  • Wendy Waidson works full-time as our Office Coordinator and
  • I (Lin Langley) teach Communications and Print Futures Professional Writing courses. 

Our mandate is to enable individuals to achieve their learning objectives, so that they can fulfill their roles and responsibilities within the teaching and learning process.

Often, Douglas Development is referred to as the “glue” that connects people in diverse disciplines, services, and faculties across the College.  We are proud to work in an office that brings people together in meaningful ways to talk about their work.  We have offices at both the New Westminster and the David Lam campuses, where we provide voluntary and free professional development opportunities for faculty, staff, administrators and other members of the College community.  We seek to provide a place for open dialogue across the College community, working cooperatively with individuals and groups to develop, deliver, and support a wide range of professional development opportunities. 

In addition to regular workshops related to teaching, learning, assessment, technology, research and College strategic directions, we are responsible for a number of major initiatives.

• We organize a bi-annual Douglas College Professional Development Day (DCPD Day), when classes are cancelled and many College services are closed to allow employees to come together to listen to and interact with local and international presenters. 
  • In association with the DCPD Day, we host a bi-annual “Opening Classroom Doors” event, where for a week in February, we invite instructors to welcome College employees to observe in their classes. 
  • We have developed a faculty peer mentoring program, which we fondly call Peer FM, where pairs or trios of instructors come together on a regular basis to talk about issues related to teaching, learning, technology, research, College governance, and/or key resources, groups, or people.
  • We are one of five BC institutions involved in the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning’s Institutional Leadership Program.  Our job here is to promote the scholarship of teaching and learning on our campuses, which we do by working with a cohort of interested and enthusiastic faculty members to investigate a shared research question related to student perceptions of an engaged classroom environment.

Of course, we sit on a variety of committees and work with our senior management team to promote understanding of initiatives such as our new Academic Signature and the College Post-Probationary Faculty Evaluation process.  But it is really in the less tangible areas where the “work” of Douglas Development occurs. We seek to:

• Support all stages of development in an educator’s career,
  • Support and continue developing a College-wide ethos of teaching and learning
  • Build community across the College.

But do we like cats?  Yes, the pedagogical, the feline, and the chocolate variety. And we like dogs, too.  Wendy loves her aged diabetic cat named Mittens, Lin is fond of her two felines, Spud and Princess, and Thea enjoys her chocolate:  Kit Kat, to be honest.  Julia has a soft spot for her arthritic old dog, who, thankfully, is no longer up to chasing cats.

So that’s us!  Finally, we have carved out some time to post our information on the SCoPE site.  Thank you to Liz for providing this venue.  We look forward to learning more about you and your institutions.