Posts made by Christine Horgan

For me, Sylvia, the reluctance to raise my hand and/or jump into a conversation is largely connected to ignorance (or perhaps I mean fear of revealing my ignorance).

My current job is on the periphery of most conversations, and so I can sit like a happy little sponge and suck up the knowledge,ideas, suggestions, questions others contribute. Parasitic might be a good name for this relationship. However, this year, I have a 50% secondment: 50% my current job and 50% as an instructional designer -- and so, I can already see benefits from participating differently . . . perhaps even advancing to a symbiotic relationship.  

Cheers, Chris Horgan

Hello:

I'm more of a professional lurker than an active SCoPE participant, but I do learn a lot from people's postings:

• What have you liked about SCoPE? Knowledge and experience of participants.
  • What would you change? nothing
  • What are your ideas for future activities? I'd like to know a whole lot more about using Wikis, coaching instructors through their use, using free Wiki sites, and whatever else pops up in conversations.
  • How has SCoPE helped you? Provided me with ideas and suggestions I might not normally come across.
  • How do you think SCoPE can be improved to have more impact? Regular summaries of the conversations -- especially for those folks who need to breeze in and out of the seminars.
  • Where do you see the community going in the next few years?

Cheers, Christine (Chris) Horgan, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta.

Hello:

We are just starting to use video clips in our courses (although we've used Captivate lessons in our computer courses for a while).

Some clips are "home made" and other come from a streaming video server (purchased clips). We aim to keep the video clips at "you-tube" lengths (so 2 - 4 minutes) to accommodate the attention span of most students.

This is a very timely seminar for me. However, I'm on vacation for most of the seminar and so I'll have to be an occasional lurker.

Cheers, Christine (Chris) Horgan, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Canada.