Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Hi Sylvia,

This has been an incredible workshop although I have been a lurker. The topic and discussions are awesome. I have been blogging forever in my own way for years both online and offline in the various diaries I have kept since I was a kid. I prefer to keep my personal journal private and to blog collaboratively online. I would gladly join a group blog. Just say where and I'll be there.

Thank you for contributing to my learning.

Warm wishes,
Nellie
Bron and Syliva,

I use the technique in my face-to-face classes and online, too. In the face-to-face class, I provide students with a calendar and they have 1 min to make say 5 appointments depending on the size of the class and then 3 min each to keep those appointments and learn about each other and share the things they have in common. I sometimes ask them to talk about certain topics or share specific experiences like my last birthday or an embarrassing moment at work and so on. I do the same thing online, only students use real calendars and make appointments to meet live on skype. This can also be done in a live online virtual class just as it is done in a face-to-face class for everyone at the same time on adobe connect or elluminate by breaking up the rooms.

Has anyone tried it in a live online class like elluminate or adobe connect?

Back to work...
Hi Sylvia,

Wish I had the time to take part in this SCoPE seminar. However, in case no has mentioned it, yet, I would also recommend reading Facilitating Online: A course leader's guide by Tonny Carr, Shaheeda Jaffer, and Jeanne Smuts. The book has excellent activities on how to facilitate online workshops and is free.

Warm wishes,
Nellie