Good text-based introduction topics

Good text-based introduction topics

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 5
In our live-time "Pimp your post" session yesterday, several people mentioned that their particular learner audience was not technically sophisticated and that online introductions requiring video and/or audio would only scare them away. But with a good, simple text post, you can do a LOT to bring together a group of learners.

So the question for you in this thread is: what's the best conversation starter you've experienced, either as a teacher/facilitator or a learner? If you can describe the context a bit, that would help too.

I'll start the ball rolling with an example: One of the best 'introductory post' starters I experienced was pretty low-key & low-tech. The instructor asked us to think back to our university or college years & to recall the course that has had the most impact on our lives. What made it so memorable?

This is a pretty simple question... but it worked for our group. We were a class of mostly educators, all strangers at the start of the class. The topic was personal enough but not too personal; it was related to the course we were taking (curriculum design) but not too related. It certainly did a good job of launching the course as a whole.
In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Good text-based introduction topics

by Sylvia Currie -
I find it's useful to use introductory activities that incorporate the tools that learners will be using in the course, and also to instill early on the practice of communicating as a group (to avoid one-on-one with instructor)

One activity I've used that takes a bit of time is partner interviews:
  • add name to a wiki (intro to wiki tool)
  • use that to determine partners (i.e. count off in 2s. Or if you want to pair according to expertise or geographical location or whatever makes sense in your context ask them to add those details to the wiki)
  • provide some guiding questions
  • contact and interview your partner using specific tool (Elluminate, chat...whatever you want them to learn how to use)
  • introduce your partner to the rest of the class (again, using whatever tools you want them to get comfortable with -- i.e. forum post or wiki, include images, hyperlinks, audio, etc)
These individual profiles end up be far richer than self-introductions!
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by bronwyn hegarty -
Yes I use that technique in face-to-face introductory classes. It would be very useful online but would take more time so the idea of integrating it with tools they need to learn would work well?

Though sometimes if students are nervous about technology it can throw them a bit having to do this right at the start and they may balk at the time it takes. Any suggestions for how you deal with this Sylvia?
Bron
In reply to bronwyn hegarty

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Bron and Syliva,

I use the technique in my face-to-face classes and online, too. In the face-to-face class, I provide students with a calendar and they have 1 min to make say 5 appointments depending on the size of the class and then 3 min each to keep those appointments and learn about each other and share the things they have in common. I sometimes ask them to talk about certain topics or share specific experiences like my last birthday or an embarrassing moment at work and so on. I do the same thing online, only students use real calendars and make appointments to meet live on skype. This can also be done in a live online virtual class just as it is done in a face-to-face class for everyone at the same time on adobe connect or elluminate by breaking up the rooms.

Has anyone tried it in a live online class like elluminate or adobe connect?

Back to work...
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Gina Bennett -
This sounds like a really well-structured activity, Nellie. I like the idea of the calendar (makes the whole thing more tangible) & also the time limitation. I can see myself being more likely to follow through with an assignment if I have committed to a date & I know that it's for such a short time commitment.
In reply to bronwyn hegarty

by Sylvia Currie -
I wish I had a good answer for Bron's question about how to deal with "balkers" smile Throwing a lot at students at the beginning of the course can be a concern for those who are nervous about technology, but also for those who are knowledgeable about technology. They can become impatient with too much "how to" chatter.

For sure it's difficult to know how much is too much at the beginning of a course. A few strategies I might use along with the partner interviews:
  1. Keep the discussion area for technical questions separate from course topic discussions -- like a SOS forum. More tech savvy participants can choose to help out or opt out.
  2. Be light about it. Tell students not to tear their hair out. If they get stumped or frustrated ask for help.
  3. Provide templates / show examples.
  4. Emphasize that the activity is relevant -- that these are tools they will need to participate in the course
  5. Provide some step-by-step instructions (screencasts or help files) if needed
  6. Allow enough time for the activity