Discussions started by Michelle Laurie

One of my clients is a collaborative that works on health and the environment, specifically reducing children's exposure to lead, in a smelter town in BC. There are five meetings a year used to 'report' what is happening. The meeting is a series of power points followed by Q&A. There is not a lot of leeway in the agenda format and the group sits at a huge heavy round board table (about 20 people). In addition to reporting, in September, there has been a request for a short presentation on early childhood development - what is it, why do we work in it and what do we do? In reality it is an underpinning of much of the work and people know a bit but its a great thing its getting air time. Thus, I'd like to make it more interesting than the typical power point. Also, given its about children, it could be a good excuse to be more creative. We have been allocated 20 mins. Possibly we could get 30 mins if needed.

In attempting not to go too crazy with the group, I feel a safe bet could be a celebrity interview. Rather than one celebrity, I suggest a panel of 3-4 people including the public health nurse, community rep who visits homes, the former medical health officer (if he is willing), an ECD expert who also sits on the committee. 

If possible, I'd bring 4 bar stools to the front of the room where the screen is and have the celebrities sit on those so everyone can see them better. 

I'd introduce and start with 3 main questions that are on people's minds. After 10 minutes, I'd give people 1 min on their own to write a question on a 3x5 card. 3 mins to share the question with two others sitting beside/near them. I'd likely ask someone else (depending on numbers) to help sift through them and choose a couple more questions to ask. 

I might end by asking each celebrity to provide their top of mind answer to what should we remember from this conversation tonight from their perspective? Or I could simply give a thank you and let people know that if they have further questions, we are available and can follow up. 

I would also produce a 1 page handout to give some basic information to everyone that they can take with them and we could share so committee members have a similar baseline knowledge on the topic. 

I am totally open to changing this idea to a different LS. Your comments are welcome! 

Michelle

Hi everyone, 

My name is Michelle Laurie and I work as a consultant from my home office in Rossland, BC. I'm excited to be here and learn with everyone this week. As for the questions: 

• What big question do you have about Liberating Structures as we begin our time together?
Like some others that chimed in earlier, I've been using a variety of the techniques over the years and really love them. I'd like to get beyond the menu to understanding more how to use them as a framework to support strategy design (as an example). I did attempt this with a client a couple months ago and they found it very challenging to follow. Instead they picked up a few ideas they liked, chucked the rest, re-organized and well....this might be okay but I would prefer to understand better the importance of the order of the strings, the pitfalls of including or dropping steps, and how to generally share the ideas in LS better (without freaking people out (the more traditional folks). 

• What do you hope to get from and give this group this week?
I am looking forward to learning from other people's experiences, especially those working with more structured and traditional groups (the ones that aren't terribly open to playing...) and I am happy to share my experiences as well as give my 2 cents here and there! 

Are you interested in engaging beyond words? Learning more about using visuals in your work?  

I am considering offering a graphic facilitaiton workshop Sept 29-30 as there has been a lot of interest expressed based on my July workshop (which is sold out). 

All details are posted on my blog: http://michellelaurie.com/training-and-workshops/5th-annual-graphic-facilitation-workshop-aka-rosviz/ (however please note the dates for the 2nd workshop will be Sept 29-30).

Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested by July 2nd.  

We need a minimum of 6 to make it happen!

Thanks, 

Michelle

www.michellelaurie.com