Michelle's group 2 scenario

Michelle's group 2 scenario

by Michelle Laurie -
Number of replies: 2

One of my clients is a collaborative that works on health and the environment, specifically reducing children's exposure to lead, in a smelter town in BC. There are five meetings a year used to 'report' what is happening. The meeting is a series of power points followed by Q&A. There is not a lot of leeway in the agenda format and the group sits at a huge heavy round board table (about 20 people). In addition to reporting, in September, there has been a request for a short presentation on early childhood development - what is it, why do we work in it and what do we do? In reality it is an underpinning of much of the work and people know a bit but its a great thing its getting air time. Thus, I'd like to make it more interesting than the typical power point. Also, given its about children, it could be a good excuse to be more creative. We have been allocated 20 mins. Possibly we could get 30 mins if needed.

In attempting not to go too crazy with the group, I feel a safe bet could be a celebrity interview. Rather than one celebrity, I suggest a panel of 3-4 people including the public health nurse, community rep who visits homes, the former medical health officer (if he is willing), an ECD expert who also sits on the committee. 

If possible, I'd bring 4 bar stools to the front of the room where the screen is and have the celebrities sit on those so everyone can see them better. 

I'd introduce and start with 3 main questions that are on people's minds. After 10 minutes, I'd give people 1 min on their own to write a question on a 3x5 card. 3 mins to share the question with two others sitting beside/near them. I'd likely ask someone else (depending on numbers) to help sift through them and choose a couple more questions to ask. 

I might end by asking each celebrity to provide their top of mind answer to what should we remember from this conversation tonight from their perspective? Or I could simply give a thank you and let people know that if they have further questions, we are available and can follow up. 

I would also produce a 1 page handout to give some basic information to everyone that they can take with them and we could share so committee members have a similar baseline knowledge on the topic. 

I am totally open to changing this idea to a different LS. Your comments are welcome! 

Michelle

In reply to Michelle Laurie

Re: Michelle's group 2 scenario

by Jane Maxwell -

I like the idea of using LS in this environment where the format and power structures are normally quite fixed.  I think it will bring some good energy to the group and make this piece of the agenda really stand out in people's minds.

Celebrity interview seems like a great choice for involving everyone in a situation where there are specific experts (the celebrities) who are better equipped to answer questions than other participants.  I think it's also a good fit for the tight timeline for this activity.  At the end of your description, you mentioned that you're open to other ideas for LS that could work here.  If you had more time, one other possibility could be to use a variation of the user experience fishbowl (have a look at Faith's activity for an example).

I wonder where the first 3 questions will come from - is there an opportunity to solicit questions from the group in advance, or are there core topics that you know you want to address with the group?  

I agree that having a sharing of individual questions adds a lot.  Perhaps you could ask each small group to choose a single question to move forward to the next (live) round, and then all questions could be collected and answered off-line afterwards?

Thanks for sharing these plans - I'm going to keep this in mind for next time this type of "presentation" is requested!

In reply to Jane Maxwell

Re: Michelle's group 2 scenario

by Michelle Laurie -

Hi Jane and hi to Megan who left a side bar comment :-)

Thanks for the feedback, super appreciated. Its always nice to think out loud and see what is resonating or needs more thought when designing a session. 

I'd like to use some of the more experimental LS for other opportunities but was also happy to figure out the plan for this short presentation. I've used it before and I think it can go really well, especially if the host is lively! 

Most of all, what I like about all these tactics is that there is FUN involved. Why should work be boring right? 

Have a great weekend! 

Michelle