Activity 3: Janna's initial revised 'heath check'

Activity 3: Janna's initial revised 'heath check'

by Janna van Kessel -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all,

Like Viviana, my science background did not make me as sensitive to the 'autopsy' exam review produced by one of our team members, but I was leery of the amount of negative language when exam assessments cause enough anxiety -- confirmed by FLO feedback that several things can change with this tool! This week, deaths in our community have impacted learners and others so I have reworded and hope to encourage colleagues that a switch to 'health check' or other terminology along with a redesign of this exam tool with learners.

That aside, I've built on some existing context as well as ideas about other related items that will be useful for our teams...

Note: use of this exam tool would follow more regular metacognitive activities in the class…

Post-FLO:

·       Continue with activities such as initial goal and action setting, practice/sample exam questions that match format and level of questioning (already done and revisited during the course), self-assessment tools, discussions about how to work through a process/break down a larger assignment

·       discussions about preparation for a (synchronous) class/ pause & reflect moments (on/off-task; expand one-minute papers like muddiest points – scaffold so learners develop questions)

·       process focused discussions, exemplars: showing the ‘sticky points’ (not always getting the right answer – this already fits well with science and math courses)

·       co-create collaborative activities such as study skill tips, reflection journals/discussion forums (start with guiding questions then have learners develop future guiding questions), rubrics for major assignments, student creation of exam questions, as well as a re-design of the following ‘heath check’ post-exam analysis

as well as edits to the exam 'health check' document itself (still a 'work-in-progress)!