Activity 4: Sylvia's LB-LF

Activity 4: Sylvia's LB-LF

by Sylvia Riessner -
Number of replies: 1

looking back, looking forwardLooking Back...what was particularly useful / interesting to me?

I'm still playing catch-up on the posted activities but I find the diversity of the participants and the topics they teach or design/develop gave me fascinating glimpses of different work realities and an admiration for the commitment and care each person took to communicate honestly and openly and to offer helpful suggestions whenever possible (wheww...I think that's a run-on sentence ;-)

I always find the resources and readings are a treasure trove and I plan to contribute a few nuggets tomorrow as I believe everyone will still have access hereafter?

How can I share with colleagues...well, I'm still thinking of ways to motivate busy working adults (especially those who are not involved in higher education and aren't as aware of learning research or the value of metacognition) to pay serious attention to allowing room for some of these self-awareness, self-regulation, reflection, etc.  Some of them are just going to ask me "is there an app for that?" or they'll throw up their hands and say "how am I supposed to do that when no one shows up consistently or they're on their phones most of the time."

But, maybe if I think of it in the same way I think of trying to add vegetables to the kids' snacks (without being obvious about it) or getting my partner to race me to the top of escalators instead of reviewing Facebook as he rides the right hand side of the metal staircase? Incremental metacognition - fit it in where they won't notice they are reflecting or thinking out loud or whatever?

As to improving the micro-course, I can't really see how it could have been more smoothly and skillfully facilitated. Leonne and Vivianna are an impressive team - thanks ladies. It's been a pleasure. The structure seems solid - easy to understand. Didn't have to fumble around for information or what to do. Plus the atmosphere created by L&V and the other participants made it easy for everyone to share their questions, their ideas, and develop their understanding. I appreciate the opportunity to join in - just wish I could have found a way to participate as much as I intended at the beginning of the week!

So, that's the only way I can think to improve the micro-course - you need a watch that freezes time (an idea from a very old John D. MacDonald novel) so that everyone could complete each Activity and take time to review and enjoy all the other contributions. 

Have a good weekend. Hope to see you online in the future.

In reply to Sylvia Riessner

Re: Activity 4: Sylvia's LB-LF

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for your feedback. There seems to be an app for everything now a days, so I did some research and what do you know, there is "Reflectly" 

I hope we cross paths again sometime, online, but also in real life. What lookout point is that? I am an avid hiker as well, have you done the Upper Pierce Lake hike? 

Viviana