Activity 2: test 'autopsy' at Yukon College

Activity 2: test 'autopsy' at Yukon College

by Janna van Kessel -
Number of replies: 7

Hi folks!

I work with learning strategists at Yukon College in Whitehorse where there are still a number of exams delivered in various courses. I am interested in feedback about either of the attached documents for post-exam analysis. The goal is to help learners consider their preparations, results, and reflection - there is a one page simplified version and a longer version.

I wonder if these focus too much on negative aspects and that there might need to be more room for written/visual reflections. Further, I feel that similar tools would be more useful if metacognitive strategies/activities are built into prior learning activities in the class (e.g., through guiding questions before getting to the 'cause & effect' of an exam evaluation - as per resource Helping Students Feel Responsible for Their Learning.).

Thank you for any feedback,

Janna

In reply to Janna van Kessel

Re: Activity 2: test 'autopsy' at Yukon College

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Hi Janna,

Thanks for sharing these forms. Here are a few things I'm thinking about:

• I like that your institution is paying attention to metacognition and trying to develop tools to help learners think more about how they are learning.
  • I wish that a more positive term was used than 'autopsy'! ;-) Sort of feels like there's been a death...
  • What if only the longer form was used and not the simplified one? I worry with the simplified one that there is no room to talk about next steps, only the admission of wrongdoing.
I love that you are thinking about incorporating metacognitive activities throughout the class instead of just after the exam. Then it wouldn't be so much of an 'autopsy' after the fact than a 'health check' along the way, teaching them the skills and strategies that they should be able to use to do well on the exam.

(Meta moment: I used the feedback tool "I like...I wish...What if..." from the Stanford D-School to frame my comments. I use this in my innovation tools & processes course that I teach and I thought some of you might enjoy knowing about it here.)

by Leonne Beebe -

Jana,

Your exam autopsy is a well-intended, good concept as it will help the students to figure out where they went wrong and what they may need to do to improve.  However, for students like me, who do not do well on written tests, it would feel like my failure is being magnified and made more important than my success. Doing this "exam autopsy" would be overwhelming for me.  Reading the term, "autopsy", which usually means to examine a "dead" body of something, may have a negative reactive impact on the student and not have the desired result you expect.   It's like flogging a dead horse; the flogging doesn't result in any possible positive action. 

Keep the concept and expand its positive potential to help with the students' learning process.  Perhaps you could make this "exam autopsy" more student-centered and less test-centered.  Tests only indicate how a student did at that specific point in time. Students need to feel valued and validated throughout their learning process and progress, especially after exams if they did not do as well as they or you had hoped.  A gentle, more "student-empowering" choice of words might be more effective, for example, "exam reflections". This would allow students to reflect on both their successful and failed answer strategies and to come up with their own suggestions for improving their study/exam writing skills for the next test. Having students write a "review and reflect" learning journal after each class, each week, or before the exam would help the students become familiar with the role and value of reflecting on their learning. This would also prepare them to expect to reflect after each test as a positive step.  

Just thinking about Derrek and Heather's reflective + collaborative activities...  Your first page does highlight only the negative behaviour resulting in the failed questions, and the second page in your long format is especially helpful for students to use as a checklist for studying before and after a test.  Perhaps, at the beginning of the course, if you don't already do this, together with your students, you could have them individually reflect on what they think are successful study skills; then, collaboratively design a positive study skills checklist with a yes/no box to check for each exam question.  This checklist would acknowledge their successful and not susccessful study skills. You could also design your second page with your students as a "Succes-based Study Skills Checklist" to use as the basis for their individual reflections on what they need to do to improve in their weak areas before the next test.

Keep your concept growing.  I look forward to learning with you and from you and from the other participants' feedback and comments.

Out of confusion comes clarity.                                                                                                                                                          Leonne

by Heather Smith -

Hi Janna -- I think that my comments echo those of Leonne. I think this is a wonderful opportunity to work with students and to glean their insights on the test reflection. Depending on the broader context of this work, you could even bring in students who have used this instrument in the past and do a bit of redesign collaboratively if it's not suitable or possible to do it in a class. It's a wonderful opportunity to draw on some of the tenets of the students-as-partners model. 

Cheers - Heather 

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Janna,

I may be the only one that didn't mind the word "autopsy" but perhaps it's because I have a Science Degree :). I simply equated "autopsy" with "examine" but I can see how some learners can be put off by the term. 

Interestingly enough, I've found another "Exam Autopsy" that you could compare and contrast to. Hope that it is helpful. - Viviana

exam sutopsy

Image credit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/lrc/supportnet/documents/examautopsy2.pdf

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Janna van Kessel -

Thank you all for your helpful feedback!

I hope to work with our learning strategists (we are in separate academic units) for an institution-wide change to this document, but meanwhile I am working on my own edits that I can implement!

Beth, your health check (or a temperature gauge) seems much more language friendly and I also feel this fits well with 'one minute paper' style of student feedback - for varied questions from learning steps, processes, to general questions. I appreciate your use and explanation of your feedback tool! I use this format a lot in my work with learners (in addition to teaching, I get to work with ABE and learners from all program areas in an academic support centre setting).

Overall, the student support teams I get to work with are also in a process of examining the language that we use - to more from deficit-based terminology to more of a positive language focus. We will also be working with larger groups of learners for feedback on delivery of all of our services - and the opportunity to co-create/redesign this tool fits perfectly (students are partners)!

And, here's another resource - 55 minute video from UBC OK: (http://peterarthur.ca/).  I wonder if you folks from BC have worked with Peter Arthur or used his resources?

Thanks again - this is such a rich forum to receive feedback and work to improve learner experiences in courses as well as across institutions!

warm wishes, Janna

by Doug Strable -

Hello Janna, 

It's great to hear your team is working to create a more positive focused terminology in the document. 

The concept I've been interested in is from a scientific view of how our brains can increase our learning abilities. I've been following the work of another team at UBC the work Dr. Laura Boyd head of the Brain Research Lab and the UBC Research Cluster of Excellence in Educational Neuroplasticity.  Neuroplasticity is how our brain is always developing and changing. 

Her recent work is on educational neuroplasticity and how sleep, moderate exercise and reflection (i.e. lifestyle) have a positive effect on one's learning this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfvUmxk2GH8

Hope you can take a look when time permits,

Doug

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Janna,

I see that you've received quite a bit of rich feedback. If I can add one more suggestion, what about asking students to first focus on a few questions that they got 100% correct and ask them to reflect on why they got it right (they really know their stuff, it was an 'easy' question, they recall a similar example in class, etc.). That way, they're starting off reflecting on what they did well and got correct before being asked to delve into reflecting on what they got wrong.

You likely don't want to add too much to the worksheet, but it might help to set the stage on a more positive note. And what students are doing well can also help test designers.