Activity 2: Neil's Fire Safety Plan

Activity 2: Neil's Fire Safety Plan

by Neil Davison -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

This is what I've come up with in the end.

I think it'll work as a concept, not too onerous, gets them thinking, looking back and ahead.

Neil

In reply to Neil Davison

Re: Activity 2: Neil's Fire Safety Plan

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Neil,

I am certain your learners will appreciate Exercise 1 as they begin the course and think about their roles and responsibilities. I like your term "looking back and ahead", I participated in a few reflective activities called "Looking forward, looking back" :). 

Viviana 

In reply to Neil Davison

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Neil,

I like how you've woven in the three meta-cognitive exercises, especially #2, which has them reflecting on initial thoughts at the midpoint. I also like that you've decided to not use an online forum because "there won't be a rush to the chat room when the alarm goes off". So true! 

Out of curiosity, do you send the participants off to the actual evacuation routes to enact an evacuation prior to a drill or real alarm?

In reply to Shawna Williams

by Neil Davison -

Hi Shawna, thanks for the question!

The implied intention is for them to get up and go out there but I suspect, as it is a self declared activity, it might just be a simple sketch, which I am not averse to, even drawing on it digitally would work for me. It's more about taking a different approach, varying the activities. The drawing activity I think includes attempting to mark on the fire extinguishers so some might want to go and double check that if they realise they aren't sure where the nearest one is.

We have a drill each semester so they'll get enough practice with that, it's not a big campus.

i wanted to include activities that would give the learners opportunity to talk with their neighbours about it all, even if they were giving each other banter it raises awareness and can plant seeds.

In reply to Neil Davison

by Leonne Beebe -

Neil,

Your revisions clearly integrate the purpose of the metacognitive activity to further integrate the learning with the application to their work site.

You could also invite the participants to reflect on the course and make suggestions to "participant-improve" the course based on their experience and application of course content for the next participants. 

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne