Activity 1: Shawna's intro

Activity 1: Shawna's intro

by Shawna Williams -
Number of replies: 6
In reply to Shawna Williams

Re: Activity 1: Shawna's intro

by Leonne Beebe -

Welcome, Shawna,      

What an interesting visual you have chosen for your initial reflection.  There is a sense of moving in three different directions, one for each question. Did you have a reason for the size of each shape (two the same size and one bigger) and the direction of each arrow? To help us all become more familiar with the online tools we see used, please tell us which tool you used. 

As you point out, self-regulation is important especially for online learning; self-regulation is now as important as independence and collaboration when describing the characteristics of successful students. Self-reflection (metacognition) is often used to help students self-assess these characteristics as strengths or weaknesses in their learning process.  

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Leonne,

The visual is indeed, as Sylvia spotted, a PowerPoint SmartArt graphic. I chose it because of the cogs and the interconnections of the three questions (each feeds into the other). Also, when searching for icons of "thinking" or "metacognition", quite often the image will be of a head whose brains are represented by cogs. 

As for the sizes and directions of the arrows, that is more by default than design. The graphic template has two small and one large cog, and so I placed my text accordingly. The arrows are also the graphic default, although I do like how if you follow the arrows, the cogs would connect and turn with one another.

I liked the option of using a graphic rather than text, so it was a challenge to see how I could use a graphic and minimal text to still convey adequate responses to the prompts.

Hi Shawna

by Sylvia Riessner -

I think I recognize a Powerpoint SmartArt graphic? I too am curious about any significance you might attach to the directional arrows, relative sizes, etc. Or should we focus on the words you used and assume the graphic is a graphic organizer without embedded meanings?

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with self-regulated learners.

In reply to Sylvia Riessner

Re: Hi Shawna

by Shawna Williams -

Good eye! Indeed a PowerPoint SmartArt. I'd say that the words are of most importance, but that the image isn't just a graphic organizer, but has some visual representation of "thought".

by Viviana Chiorean -

Welcome Shawna,

I will now look into this new "tool", thank you. Indeed, self-regulated learners are the best kind ;) . I look forward to learning with and from you this week. 

Viviana 

Image credit: https://serc.carleton.edu/sage2yc/self_regulated/what.html

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Viviana,

I recognize that infographic well! I've used that and the accompanying short articles for doing a jigsaw activity with teachers as an introduction to Self-Regulated Learning.