Activity 1: Sylvia's Reflect, Why, What-What

Activity 1: Sylvia's Reflect, Why, What-What

by Sylvia Riessner -
Number of replies: 4

Sounds a bit like a funky new dance move eh?

exploring perspectives in an art galleryMmmmm.... Why and What-What?

I chose this micro-course cuz I'm curious and want to expand what I know (or think I know) about metacognition plus I've always enjoyed any FLO activity I've been involved in.

What do I know - I know that metacognition is essentially "thinking about thinking" or "thinking about learning." I know that it involves reflection, active engagement with observation and some kind of feedback, and it's often about developing strategies and self-regulation. And more of course.

I think about metacognition as a fancy term for what the little person (kind of like a homunculus or femunculus) inside my brain does when I'm trying to learn something. She looks around inside my brain and says, "What do you already know about this?" "What do you need or want to know?" "How much time, money and effort will it take?" etc. And when I get lazy she pokes me and when I succeed at some part of the learning she is the one cheering in the background. She notices gaps in my understanding, helps me notice and form new connections between ideas...

What do I expect or hope to learn from this session? Lots, plus I'll enjoy reconnecting with other facilitators and sharing ideas, concerns, strategies, practical applications.

Thanks Leonne and Vivianna!

In reply to Sylvia Riessner

Re: Activity 1: Sylvia's Reflect, Why, What-What

by Leonne Beebe -

Welcome, Sylvia R,

Thank you for dropping in for the next five days. Reflecting back to the day, when ISW Online was transforming into FLO, (around 2014)  there were the two Sylvias,  (Sylvia C and Sylvia R) and Beth.  This does feel like a FLO Enthusiasts' reunion in the making.  There is much we can learn from your online teaching experiences.

Your practical definition of metacognition explains the essence of the "thinking about thinking" process.  It's like standing outside of your head to observe and assess what that little thinker inside of your brain is thinking about.  

I look forward to learning with and from you this week.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

by Shawna Williams -

I just love what you wrote! 
I think about metacognition as a fancy term for what the little person (kind of like a homunculus or femunculus) inside my brain does when I'm trying to learn something. She looks around inside my brain and says, "What do you already know about this?" "What do you need or want to know?" "How much time, money and effort will it take?" etc. And when I get lazy she pokes me and when I succeed at some part of the learning she is the one cheering in the background. She notices gaps in my understanding, helps me notice and form new connections between ideas...

Such a rich description! 

by Viviana Chiorean -

Welcome Sylvia,

It is so nice to see you again (this time virtually). I appreciate the emphasis you placed on being realistic: "How much time, money and effort will it take?"  

I look forward to learning from you this week.

Viviana 

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Doug Strable -

Hello Sylvia, 

I like your question too, about, "how much time, money and effort will it take". Our mind certainly does evaluate the time and effort involved, and possibly what the reward is. 

I'll think about this concept more too.  

Doug