Posts made by Sylvia Currie

Thanks for the feedback, Vivian. And welcome to SCoPE!

Great idea to have an ongoing Q&A. My original plan was to have one space for scheduled discussions, and another for ongoing discussions. I'm not sure that's the best way so advice is appreciated!

I haven't done much to set up the ongoing space. There is a forum in there tentatively called "open for anything". Would that serve the Q&A purpose, and do you think it's in the right place?

Anybody have suggestions about ways to organize ongoing discussions?

Thanks for the feedback, Vivian. And welcome to SCoPE!

Great idea to have an ongoing Q&A. My original plan was to have one space for scheduled discussions, and another for ongoing discussions. I'm not sure that's the best way so advice is appreciated!

I haven't done much to set up the ongoing space. There is a forum in there tentatively called "open for anything". Would that serve the Q&A purpose, and do you think it's in the right place?

Anybody have suggestions about ways to organize ongoing discussions?

As some of you know, I was community coordinator for the Global Educators' Network (GEN), and online educator community supported by the TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence. Through participation in seminar discussions, ideas for new topics were always emerging. Sometimes members would suggest a topic and also volunteer to moderate. Other times, I would search for someone out there who had expertise in a topic area that had been recommended by our members, and ask if they would be interersted in sharing their work in GEN. Usually the answer was yes!

By the end of my time as community coordinator, I had accumulated quite a list! Now I need your help in identifying further topics, and potential moderators. It would be ideal to be able to kick-off SCoPE by showcasing SFU work and/or research.

- Are you interested in facilitating a SCoPE seminar discussion?
- Do you know of some exciting projects at SFU (and beyond) that we could organize SCoPE activities around?
- Would anyone you know like to use SCoPE to as part of their research? (Research in online communities, disseminate requests to participate in surveys, organize online focus groups, etc)?

Here's that almighty list I've been carrying around since GEN days:

The Benefits and Drawbacks of Peer-to-Peer Technologies
Tips and Tools for Conducting Virtual Tours
Online Language Teaching
Research Tools
Helping Students to Succeed in Online Studies
What Your Students Should Know About Internet Research
Use of Internet Technologies and K-12 Policy Changes
Wireless Solutions for Online Learning
Copyright Issues
Design and Integration of Interactive Media
Protection of Privacy
Open Source Part III
Use of Mind Mapping Tools
Video Production for Online Delivery
Strategies for Collaborative Writing
Problem-Based Learning
Open Content
The Educational Application of Games
Do it Yourself Series (programming, web design, cascading style sheets,
quizzes, etc)
The Use of BLOGS in Online Education
Exploring appropriate metaphors for learning management systems
Part II or Part III to any of our seminars (see archives)
Opportunities for Freelance Instructional Designers
Professional Readers Book Club
Choosing a Learning Management System
eMentoring
Courseware
Building Student Portals
As some of you know, I was community coordinator for the Global Educators' Network (GEN), and online educator community supported by the TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence. Through participation in seminar discussions, ideas for new topics were always emerging. Sometimes members would suggest a topic and also volunteer to moderate. Other times, I would search for someone out there who had expertise in a topic area that had been recommended by our members, and ask if they would be interersted in sharing their work in GEN. Usually the answer was yes!

By the end of my time as community coordinator, I had accumulated quite a list! Now I need your help in identifying further topics, and potential moderators. It would be ideal to be able to kick-off SCoPE by showcasing SFU work and/or research.

- Are you interested in facilitating a SCoPE seminar discussion?
- Do you know of some exciting projects at SFU (and beyond) that we could organize SCoPE activities around?
- Would anyone you know like to use SCoPE to as part of their research? (Research in online communities, disseminate requests to participate in surveys, organize online focus groups, etc)?

Here's that almighty list I've been carrying around since GEN days:

The Benefits and Drawbacks of Peer-to-Peer Technologies
Tips and Tools for Conducting Virtual Tours
Online Language Teaching
Research Tools
Helping Students to Succeed in Online Studies
What Your Students Should Know About Internet Research
Use of Internet Technologies and K-12 Policy Changes
Wireless Solutions for Online Learning
Copyright Issues
Design and Integration of Interactive Media
Protection of Privacy
Open Source Part III
Use of Mind Mapping Tools
Video Production for Online Delivery
Strategies for Collaborative Writing
Problem-Based Learning
Open Content
The Educational Application of Games
Do it Yourself Series (programming, web design, cascading style sheets,
quizzes, etc)
The Use of BLOGS in Online Education
Exploring appropriate metaphors for learning management systems
Part II or Part III to any of our seminars (see archives)
Opportunities for Freelance Instructional Designers
Professional Readers Book Club
Choosing a Learning Management System
eMentoring
Courseware
Building Student Portals
Stephanie, could you expand on the Academic Relation's "New Faculty" orientation. What are some possible ways to connect SCoPE and the New Faculty Communities?

I imagine the new faculty community space to be fairly transient, although much of the content there is valuable for existing faculty as well. I see one obvious linkage -- that new faculty be informed about SCoPE as a way to find and share resources and engage in discussions related to teaching and learning research and practice.

This brings us back to that question again about how to provide an area in SCoPE that is relevant to SFU faculty only. For example, if we wanted to schedule a virtual tour for SFU faculty to orient them to the resources and services available at SFU (like the presentation you did that was so well received), would that be an activity appropriate for SCoPE? or a New Faculty Community?