Ideas for SCoPE Activities

Ideas for SCoPE Activities

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 5
As some of you know, I was community coordinator for the Global Educators' Network (GEN), and online educator community supported by the TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence. Through participation in seminar discussions, ideas for new topics were always emerging. Sometimes members would suggest a topic and also volunteer to moderate. Other times, I would search for someone out there who had expertise in a topic area that had been recommended by our members, and ask if they would be interersted in sharing their work in GEN. Usually the answer was yes!

By the end of my time as community coordinator, I had accumulated quite a list! Now I need your help in identifying further topics, and potential moderators. It would be ideal to be able to kick-off SCoPE by showcasing SFU work and/or research.

- Are you interested in facilitating a SCoPE seminar discussion?
- Do you know of some exciting projects at SFU (and beyond) that we could organize SCoPE activities around?
- Would anyone you know like to use SCoPE to as part of their research? (Research in online communities, disseminate requests to participate in surveys, organize online focus groups, etc)?

Here's that almighty list I've been carrying around since GEN days:

The Benefits and Drawbacks of Peer-to-Peer Technologies
Tips and Tools for Conducting Virtual Tours
Online Language Teaching
Research Tools
Helping Students to Succeed in Online Studies
What Your Students Should Know About Internet Research
Use of Internet Technologies and K-12 Policy Changes
Wireless Solutions for Online Learning
Copyright Issues
Design and Integration of Interactive Media
Protection of Privacy
Open Source Part III
Use of Mind Mapping Tools
Video Production for Online Delivery
Strategies for Collaborative Writing
Problem-Based Learning
Open Content
The Educational Application of Games
Do it Yourself Series (programming, web design, cascading style sheets,
quizzes, etc)
The Use of BLOGS in Online Education
Exploring appropriate metaphors for learning management systems
Part II or Part III to any of our seminars (see archives)
Opportunities for Freelance Instructional Designers
Professional Readers Book Club
Choosing a Learning Management System
eMentoring
Courseware
Building Student Portals
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Ideas for SCoPE Activities

by Sylvia Currie -
One activity I can add to the list is Sakai testing. We have a SCoPE site set up on the Sakai Project Portal where members can try out and discuss Sakai. This will be a SCoPE Special Interest Group. We'll have more information about that later, but you're welcome to create an account at the portal now. Let me know if you have difficulties accessing the Sakai - SCoPE site. I'm not 100% sure I have it set up properly for self-registration.

We also plan to create opportunities to try out other tools. If there are any education software tools you'd like to learn more about just mention it and I'll see what I can arrange.

by Brent Lee -
Thanks Sylvia,

This is great. They also have a source code modification notification in the Sakai portal site.

Cheers,

B.

by Cindy Xin -
I like the idea and would be happy to facilitate the activity and discussion. There is a community out there is already doing this. I've read some very candid and insightful discussions. It'd be nice to bring that into this group and educate ourselves on the topic. It will also deepen our understanding on the various issues related to open source.
In reply to Cindy Xin

by Sandra McKenzie -
I'd be happy to facilitate a writing workshop - either writing for online presentation, or writing as a creative outlet. I'm particularly interestsed in exploring inclusive writing, and writing for special needs.
In reply to Sandra McKenzie

by Sylvia Currie -
Wow, this is terrific! I really appreciate that SCoPE members are stepping up the plate to facilitate discussions/workshops. Thanks Cindy and Sandra. Also, I've gathered up a list of researchers, including those Paul mentioned and the latest additions from Baljeet.

I'll be in touch with you individually to start making arrangements. This is very exciting! approve