Welcome to SCoPE Next Steps!

Welcome to SCoPE Next Steps!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 26
Welcome everyone! If you found your way to our community pilot discussion then that means we're making progress on setting up this site :-)  This is our first scheduled discussion at SCoPE. Up until now we've had some behind-the-scenes activity, and as you can see the community site development work is very much in progress. Hopefully it always will be!

We invite you to spend the next 10 days helping us to plan the next steps for SCoPE. Are we happy with the name SCoPE? Do you have ideas for seminar topics, events, polls, etc? Also, through your participation we hope to gather some suggestions for the layout of the community environment, and to test out some of the tools here to prepare for our launch.

So let's get started! You're arriving here with various backgrounds and interests, and some of you may barely know what this community project is all about. Probably the best first step to discuss SCoPE next steps is to introduce yourselves, and fire away with your questions. No question is too small or too obvious.

Thanks for joining us! Together we'll do great things in SCoPE!

Sylvia Currie
Community Coordinator

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Welcome to SCoPE Next Steps!

by Stephanie Chu -

Thanks Sylvia, et al.!

I've quickly scanned the site and wanted to say that this looks great! I particularly like the plays on "Scope" such as telescope and periscope. Personally, given these types of plays-on-words, I think SCOPE is a memorable and meaningful name. Though I don't know where the decision about the name is at right now.

I'll take a look into what kind of feedback you're looking for and will respond accordingly.

Look forward to participating in this when it's up.

Best,
Stephanie
 smile

P.S. I've been playing around with the profiles -- how in the world do I prevent the environment from cropping off the top of my head?! I've tried resizing my picture, making it square, etc. In the profile itself, it looks fine, but as you can see in the pic associated with my posting, it's looking odd. Tks.

In reply to Stephanie Chu

Me too

by not real -
Looks like my head's cut off too. That would likely be the thumbnailing procedure -- it looks like it wants to make square avatars even though the original picture is usually not. Probably the best solution would be to make a square, cropped image oneself and upload that.
In reply to not real

Re: Me too

by Stephanie Chu -
Thanks Rod. I had an image that was wider than tall to see if that would work and it didn't. I just uploaded a new one with exactly square dimensions and my head is still cropped...This is going to be a bit of a pain for users methinks. Sylvia -- how did you get the system to keep your head intact?  wink

Best,
Stephanie

by Sylvia Currie -
My head is intact? That's quite a compliment! big grin  I've never come across this head chopping problem before in Moodle!

The help file on uploading images says "the image file will be cropped to a square and resized down to 100x100 pixels". I wonder if the perfectly square image you started with was smaller than that, and the system stretched it out.

We'll figure it out! Thanks for joining us Stephanie and Rod. Keep looking for more problems!

by Stephanie Chu -
C'mon Mousie, you're probably one of the most "intact" and down-to-earth people I know!  :-P

Okay. My last image was 452x452 (or something like that). I've resized my original to exactly 100x100 and uploaded it. It still chops off my head in the thumbnail..."It's a conspiracy isn't it?"   V-.

S.

by Stephanie Chu -
Hey! Someone fixed something! Well, at least for me. I have a full head now! Thanks! (Though Rod appears to have a bit of his lopped off still.) What was the problem?

S.

by Sylvia Currie -
Stephanie, I think you may have fixed your head yourself, but it took a log out and log in before you could see the changes.

Let's see what happens when Rod fixes his head. :-)

by Paul Stacey -

I've tried editing my profile including uploading a 100X100 pixel .jpeg image of myself but everytime I click upload I get a message saying jpeg is not supported on this server. Puzzling as the help file stipulates jpeg. Suggestions?

Paul

In reply to Paul Stacey

by Brent Lee -
Is this server running Linux or Windows?

B.
In reply to Brent Lee

Linux or Windows

by Sylvia Currie -
I was going to jump in and say Linux, but that was the development server. I'm not sure about this server. I'll see what I can find out.

Paul's jpeg question has me stumped. Is the server question related to that, Brent?

BTW, for information for everyone here, Brent from Malaspina knows Moodle inside out and upside down. He also always just happens to be there ready with answers seconds cool

Re: Linux or Windows

by Brent Lee -
Hi Sylvia,

The JPEG issue is most likely related to the server not having one of the dependencies installed. I have seen this problem in many Moodle Installations around the country.

Cheers,

B

Re: Linux or Windows

by Cindy Xin -
Hi Sylvia,

This is off topic of this thread. I notice that not all messages I receive in my email inbox from the SCoPE site start with the word SCoPE on the subject line. Like this one starts with Seminar. It'd might be a good idea if they all start with SCoPE. This way, it's much easier to identify at a glance the source of the message. I have too many message everyday. A message with a "hat" will get my attention more easily.

Cindy
In reply to Cindy Xin

Adding SCoPE to email subject lines

by Sylvia Currie -
Cindy, good idea to add SCoPE so it appears in the subject lines of your email. This becomes especially important when you subscribe to several Moodle forums -- it's difficult to tell where the messages are coming from!

I think I've set it up to do that now. We'll see if it works.

Re: Adding SCoPE to email subject lines

by Cindy Xin -
Thanks Sylvia. It works now. You are great!

Cindy
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Hi Paul:

I'm really eager to see your smiling face on the moodle site -- although that Happy Face with sunglasses reminds me of you too!

Thanks for helping us to sort everything out.

Liz

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

by Frank Fucile -
Hi all...the picture has to be saved as a .png format
take care
frank
In reply to Frank Fucile

by Brent Lee -
The server will need LibPNG & LibJPEG installed. This will allow users to place up any type of image file that is a GIF, JPEG, BMP or PNG.

Cheers,

B
In reply to Frank Fucile

by Paul Stacey -

PNG doesn't work either.

Expect it is due to the issues Brent has identified.

Paul

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Glad to see this is underway, Sylvia. I hope everyone will respond to your invitation to post an introduction, but perhaps some instructions on how to do that will help. Interesting thread already about how not to appear headless!
In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Profiles and Introductions

by Sylvia Currie -
The Moodle Profile is a nice feature, and I really like the way it's accesible from anywhere by clicking on a member's name or avatar. When introducing yourself here there's really no need to repeat what's in your profile, but bringing forward details that are relevant to the topic can be useful. Normally the first message posted to a discussion includes some introductory information, and is a way to say "hi, I'm here" without diving into the topic.

I see you've updated your profile, Liz! approve  LOL (In case she changes it, just know that what I saw at 1:23 pm on August 9th was funny)

by Vivian Neal -
Sylvia,

Here are some more thoughts:

Q&A
I'd like to see a space in this community where I can post questions about others' experiences of what works and doesn't work in a praticular situation. Sometimes I have questions that plague me and I need some advice.

Scope of Participants
I'd like to see this community opened to a broader audience than just SFU. I believe that active seminars will simply require a larger pool of participants for the depth of discussion to be engaging. I'd like to discuss the processes and activities that would open up the community to an international audience.

Vivian
In reply to Vivian Neal

Ongoing Q&A

by Sylvia Currie -

Thanks for the feedback, Vivian. And welcome to SCoPE!

Great idea to have an ongoing Q&A. My original plan was to have one space for scheduled discussions, and another for ongoing discussions. I'm not sure that's the best way so advice is appreciated!

I haven't done much to set up the ongoing space. There is a forum in there tentatively called "open for anything". Would that serve the Q&A purpose, and do you think it's in the right place?

Anybody have suggestions about ways to organize ongoing discussions?

Re: Ongoing Q&A

by Vivian Neal -
Sylvia,

Yes, the ongoing space is exactly what I was hoping for.

"Open for anything" is a great way to start also. Having too many places to post and disucss items can get confusing, so I like the Keep It Simply approach.

Vivian
In reply to Vivian Neal

Re: Ongoing Q&A

by Cindy Xin -
"Open for anything" sounds a reasonable way to start for ongoing discussion. Themes may emerge as conversaions evolve. Separate discussion spaces can be set up then if necessary.
In reply to Vivian Neal

by Cindy Xin -
I like the idea of open up the discussion to wider audience beyond SFU. We need all the participation we can get to build a critical mass and momentum to sustain a community like this or any virtual community. To attract wide participation is a necessity. It will bring more and better ideas, interesting personalities. A hyterogeneous group is likely to survive and thrive. We all know that.

Besides, Sylvia is well connected with a number of vibrant learning/online learning communities. We'll do ourselves a great service to leverage her connections and get us connected.

Cindy