Posts made by Therese Weel

Finding the time to participate in these seminars is a challenge for us all.

In the last Scope seminar on online facilitation. Nick and Sylvia used some tools to give us an 'at a glance' overview of the discussions. We'll also be using these tools in this session.

Mind Maps

We will be building several Mind Maps based on the discussions and Sylvia will be posting them in the resource area.   We are using Mind Meister and I encourage everyone in the conference to participate in building the map.   I am only to happy to give you the keys  to doodle or build your own map on a thread of interest to you.   Send me an email at Therese@datadesigns.ca or reply to this thread.

The Value of Serious Games Mind Map  direct Link

http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/92740

Our Wiki

I'll be rearranging and adding to this wiki as the conference progresses

http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/mod/wiki/view.php?id=464

You are  encouraged to drop things in as you browse around.  Dive in - You get extra points for spelling mistakes and being off topic.

Introductory Powerpoint.

We also have an introductory power point on Serious Games to seed our discussions.  It is attached to this post and you will also find it online here.

http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/mod/wiki/view.php?id=464

What is a Serious Game?
Serious Game Examples
The Value of Serious Games

Therese

Thank you Tia for starting our first ripple of conversation.

I've been looking forward to doing this session for quite some time.  Now, I'm not an  expert who can impress you with my expertise.   I'm here because these subjects are on the leading edge and a SCoPE seminar is a good way to divine the collective wisdom.

I describe myself as a practical person who learns best by doing.  At home I build furniture and tinker with my vehicles. After many years of doing so - I think nothing knocking out a wall or changing my own brake shoes.   I like doing a job well and having the right tools to do it with. 

I've been impressed by some of the serious games and simulations I've tried because they have helped me "get a feel" for doing things.  Much better than just reading about them or taking a course.

Over the past few years I've been involved with larger web projects. For Industry player, I've been well.. playing... and watching as Tia suggests terrific strategies and Thomas makes them happen.

Over the past few months Tia and I have been surfing  the web, following discussion forums and chatting with people who are developing serious games.  We've also met people who are creating environments in virtual worlds such as Second Life. 

Most recently, I decided It would be nice to see people in three dimensions again, so I have been working for the Faculty of Education at SFU.  I use my magic powers to keep the machines running.   We are primarily a Mac shop providing support for 400 staff and students including distance education and research projects.

I'd like to thank Liz and Sylvia for giving us the opportunity to host this conference.  Sylvia  just impresses the socks off me and pretty much everyone else who gets to know her.  Together  Liz and Sylvia are developing the SCoPE platform into a terrific resource for educators worldwide.

I am delighted to be hosting this conference with Tia Carr Williams.  I hope you will get to know this amazing lady and call her a friend, as I do.

Come in and post your introduction, the water is lovely.

Hello Folks,

I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and say hello.

My experience in anything online only goes back to 2003 when I created my first HTML site in front page for my digital pictures.  Before that I had my head firmly sunk in the closed systems of the corporate world. I traveled around,  analyzing business processes and building enterprise database systems designed to squelch creativity and innovation.

Became a netzien in 2004 and went off on a virtual adventure to follow my bliss.   I was interested in how we could use connective technology to enhance our lives.  There is a lot of nonsense on the 55 billion pages that comprise the internet, but if you look in the right places it affords us a wonderful opportunity  to bring  like-minded people together for valuable discussions.

I am a systems integrator who is constantly amazed at how many people consider me a geek.  I think what I do is perfectly normal!

Through happy coincidences  I have engaged with, Tia, Sylvia and Frances.  I am delighted to see them on this forum and look forward to learning from the other experts here.

I have participated in several business forums over the years.  Taught one on line course for Frances' knowschools earlier this year.  Next month   << knees knocking >>  I will be co-hosting a SCoPE session with Tia on the value of serious games and virtual worlds.

I agree that the best way to learn online facilitation is to "just do it"  learning from the experience and the excellent resources out there.   Kudos to  Nancy -  who's resource page  http://www.fullcirc.com/resources.htm  contains a wealth of terrific information.

I am happy to be part of this experience.

Thanks for hosting us Nick

Wow,  These are excellent tools for visualizing what has been discussed.  They help zero in on what is relevant to us individually in this very active discussion. Thanks for sharing... and preparing them.
T