Virtual World Field Trip

Virtual World Field Trip

by Nick Noakes -
Number of replies: 38
If you are interested in a welcome meeting around a virtual campfire in Second Life this weekend, please post times (in GMT if possible), that you would be available for an hour. I'm in Hong Kong which is GMT +8, so the times I won't be able to do this are from 5pm to 11pm GMT. Also please post your avatar name here too when you have one. Mine is Corwin Carillon! :-)
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Virtual World Field Trip

by Christie Mason -
I'm at UTC/GMT -6 hours but posting my SL avatar's name to this forum is too much crossover for me, my SL persona lives in SL only.  When the Online Facilitators group did this we registered on SL for the tour, can something similar be done for this?

Christie Mason
In reply to Christie Mason

by Nick Noakes -
Hi Christie, you can email your avatar name to corwin.carillon@gmail.com

Are there times over the weekend that would work best for you?

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Barbara Dieu -
I am but unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on the perspective), I am very rarely connected on WE as I flee to the countryside to hug trees, go for long walks with my two black Giant Schnauzers, cook, read and listen to music (while correcting essays...argh) and during the week, I am teaching the whole day at school, where I cannot log into SL :-(

So...I will try to join when I can.

Bee

and this is me in SL - Bee Kerouac (-3 GMT)

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Nick Noakes -
Please feel free to email your avatar name  to corwin.carillon@gmail.com

For those who already have avatars and know how to join a group in Second Life when logged in , please join the SCoPE group in-world (it's free!). If you don't know how to do this, when you give me your avatar name, I will send you an invite to the group inside Second Life.

It might also be worth people checking out the online facilitation wiki page for the Second Life Field Trip we did - here
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Therese Weel -
Great Idea.

I'm Tree Sewell  at GMT -8  Vancouver.  A good time for me is early in the morning  GMT 1 To 4 PM
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Andrea Giordano -

Nick,

I am Andrea Giordano from Argentina. My avatar name is Destination Unknown Wise.

I will be grateful if you help me with SL.

Thanks,

AN

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Deleted user -
Ok, so now I have an avatar and I also connected to SL for the first time. I sure could use the field trip so I will appreciate if you can send me an invitation my avatar is Obyonethehobbit Benelli
Thanks,
Jan
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Carolyn Campbell -

Hi Nick,

Looks like we're family.  I'm Carolyn Carillon in SL.  I'm in Halifax, so GMT -4, and I'd be happy to join you.

Carolyn

In reply to Carolyn Campbell

by Moira Hunter -
Hi Nick,

I am GMT+1 so any time is fine for me but not at GMT12.00 til 14.00.

My name is Busy Link and I'd love an invite as I normally have to depend upon Graham Stanley to teleport me 'home' ;-)
In reply to Moira Hunter

by Nick Noakes -
Welcome Theresa, Carolyn and Moira. Great to see you all here. Invites sent to you within Second Life, so should be there next time you log in!
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Ian MacLeod -
Hi Nick - I'm in Halifax Nova Scotia (GMT-4) and in SL I'm hondomac Dalgleish. Looking forward to joining you.
In reply to Ian MacLeod

by Corinne Brooks -
I usually get stuck in a wall in SL (still learning to walk, but I can fly). Will try to be there.

Angua koekkamp is SL name
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Deleted user -
I'm interested too and I'm at GMT+1 so it would be great for me between GMT 13:00 and 17:00 but I can cope also with other schedules. Only, I didn't quite get which day you are planning to do the field trip.
Concerning Avatar I am such a newbie that I still have to make myself a brand new one.
:-)
In reply to Nick Noakes

by carla arena -
Hi, Corwin!

I still don't know if I'll be able to be there with you, although I'd love to, and SL is certainly on my list of things I need to test. My avatar is Carluccia Abbruzzo. I'm GMT -5. Please, let us know what time you plan to be there and I'll try to fly around and not bump my head on the walls or fall on the trees!

Beijos,
Carluccia
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Carol Isakson -

I'll need an invite unless we're meeting at a wall on Orientation Island. I'm Sunshine Hapmouche and am looking to improve my "image" from cyber punk to something a little less goth when I figure out how.

I'm at GMT -5 so I think I would like to avoid meeting between 4AM and 12noon GMT   (11pm - 7am Eastern Time, I think) This global thinking is going to take some practice...maybe 2 clocks.

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Sylvia Currie -
I see other people have the wall issues! I've managed to go under water a few times, too. smile

I'm WebbedFeat Fapp and early morning is usually best for me, but I'm pretty flexible this weekend. My zone is GMT -8  Vancouver. 

Thanks for organizing this Nick!
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Nick Noakes -
I hit walls regularly still ... get trapped often as well ... water? umpteen times! I've also put boxes on my head more times than I can remember too!!

A quick tip for getting a decent view to get out of spaces .. in fact two tips:
  • View -> Camera Controls (always leave this open as it is a lifesaver when you get positionally stuck). These controls are like the ones with Google Earth. Zoom in and out. Rotate 360. Pan left/right/top/down - all without your avatar moving (i.e the avatar becomes your actor and you become the movie director ... coz you can actually record movies through the client). Play with these controls and see.
  • World -> Force Sun ->Midday ... for when the region you're in is at midnight and you can't see where the hell you are and it feels spooky! (when we have the campfire meeting, I'll ask you to Force Sun -> Midnight!) :-)
In reply to Nick Noakes

Virtual World Field Trip Times

by Nick Noakes -
Second Life Virtual Meetups
  1. Fri Mar 2 4pm GMT (see your time zone)
  2. Sat Mar 3 2am GMT (see your time zone)
If none of these work for you, let me know in reply to this.
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Virtual World Field Trip Times

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Sounds good! I'll try to get there for the 4pm GMT one (as I'm in the UK) ... if I don't get caught up in other things.

Emma
Emmadw Rickenbacker.

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Bev Hoerig -
Hi Nick,

This sounds great! I will try to make the  4pm GMT session, although like others, I am quite the newbie in SL--still wandering around Orientation Island :(

I am StarCloud Runo in SL and  hope to meet up tomorrow. In my RL (real life) I help faculty develop their online courses and learn about technology. I look forward to learning much more about virtual worlds and online facilitation.

Thanks,
Bev
In reply to Bev Hoerig

by Nick Noakes -
Emma, Bev

I've sent invitations to you both

Nick
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Invitation

by carla arena -
Nick,

I also need invitation, as I get kind of lost there...My avatar is Carluccia Abbruzzo.

I'll try to be there tomorrow.

Beijos,
Carla
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Andrea Giordano -

Nick,

I think I will take Sat 3 2 am.Where do we meet?

AN from Argentina

In reply to Andrea Giordano

by Nick Noakes -
We will meet on my island called Boracay. I will send you all a SCoPE group notice inside Second Life, which you will receive next time you login. This will have a landmark (Second Life bookmark) attached. Click the blue Save Attachment button in the notice and the landmark will appear at the top of your screen. Then click the teleport button and it will take you to Boracay.

If you want to go directly there on login, then click this link and it will open a web page. On that web page, click orange, Teleport Now, button and it will open Second Life and when you click the blue Connect button, you will arrive on Boracay.

Hope this is not too confusing!

Nick
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Virtual World Field Trip Times Sorry

by Andrea Giordano -

Nick,

I had a familiar problem yesterday and couldn't either meet you all or tell you. Can it be possible to have another chance during any weekend?

Thanks in advance,

An from Argentina

In reply to Nick Noakes

Invitation

by Diego E. Leal Fonseca -

Hi there, Nick...

I'd like to be in the 2amGMT meetup, so could you send me an invitation, please?

My SL name is Qadmon Celt.

Thanks in advance,

Diego

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Stephen Thorpe -

Hi Nick, Everyone,

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand at GMT +13. My SL name is Stephen Haigh. I'm keen to join the Fri Mar 2 4pm GMT Field trip.

Stephen

In reply to Stephen Thorpe

by Nick Noakes -
Welcome Diego and Stephen, invitations sent. :-)
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Kaj Rietberg -
I'm not in SL. Perhaps I do that later. There are so many other things I still have to work on. So I won't be there at the campfire. But have fun.
In reply to Nick Noakes

Joining the excursion

by Alvaro Galvis -
Hi Nick,

Please also include me. I am in Boston, MA, which is GMT-5. Name my avatar 7machos

Alvaro
In reply to Alvaro Galvis

Re: Joining the excursion

by Nick Noakes -
Hi Alvaro

It was yesterday I'm afraid. It wasn't meant to be a focus for this conversation, just a bit of fun and a different, additional way to experience welcome/getting to know each other type of activity.

I'd be happy to do something at the end of the 3 weeks though as a closer to this. But I am in Second Life regularly, so you we may catch each other online there.
In reply to Nick Noakes

Building on the mistake

by Alvaro Galvis -
Hi Nick,

I just signed in to Second Life, my avatar name is "7machos oh". I'll see you there

A
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Robin Yap -

Sorry I missed the SL campfire.

If you're doing this again in the future my avatar is Phronos Bailey

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Nick, I am sorry that I missed this -- I was presenting a paper at a conference.

Another question, though, that perplexes me. I joined SL a few weeks ago while attending another workshop, and since then have read everything I could about SL (including the chat logs from these two SCoPE sessions) without making the connection to education. It may very well be staring me in the face, but I cannot figure out what to do with SL from an educational perspective (I am an adult educator and instructional designer) outside of helping people get comfortable with technology. As there is no goal or game in SL, I have not used it much since I created my account since I cannot find a practical educational use for it beyond the "this is cool" factor. Perhaps if there were a way to have our real faces there, then an element of reality would help me see it more than just anime.

Am I missing something that everybody else seems to get?