Posts made by Beth Cougler Blom

Hi Derek,

This feedback is probably coming too late because you're probably facilitating the activity right now, but another option could be to slightly lengthen the pairs and foursomes parts of the 1-2-4-All to have the person listen to their partner's top theme and share that person's rationale with the foursome instead of their own:

(1 min) Take a minute to write down your response. (4 min) Share with a partner. Listen and take notes on your partner's important theme or concept and their reason why. (8 min) Join your pair with another pair. Make the rationale to the two new people for why your partner made their choice in the new group of four. (ALL) Defend yours or your partner's choice to the class and discuss.

Just a riff/variation on your idea! Love that you're using Liberating Structures.

Sylvia this feels like a bit of a "hero's journey"-type support document - neat!

Other question prompts it's making me think about along the way that could inspire metacognitive thinking are:
    • What do I know about myself that I want to keep in mind as I worked on this assignment?
    • What big lesson have I learned from a previous assignment that I want to keep in mind as I work on this one?
    • What has worked for me in the past to successfully complete assignments?
    • What kind of a reward (if any) will motivate me to complete this assignment?
    • What have I seen other students do that I'd like to try out to help myself complete this assignment?
There are so many possibilities!

What if you started off, earlier in the course, with pre-written reflective prompts written by you, but as the course goes on you start asking them to be responsible to write and then, of course, answer, the prompts? Could the class be divided up into small groups to do this, as in "Four of you are responsible this week to come up with reflective discussion prompts that the rest of the class will answer." You could ask them to work together to come up with the four questions (one each) or make it an individual activity.