Activity 2: Sylvia's Activity

Activity 2: Sylvia's Activity

by Sylvia Riessner -
Number of replies: 8

Apologies for lateness - I've prepared a brief outline my plan to help learner plan and monitor. See My Plan

I generally teach / facilitate shorter courses or linked workshops. So my focus is on providing a structure for my learners that they can apply to any assignment. I take time to have learners work individually to identify their personal goals / intended outcomes for an assignment (nice to have something concrete to learn) - this gets them thinking not only about what they want to do but what is required or expected. Then I split them into small groups or pairs to set priorities and identify some steps they need to take to get the ball rolling. The final preparation step is to make their intentions visible (to themselves and peers or instructor) - they actually map and schedule their plan (when I can I have them do this on a board (if online I've used Padlet, Linoit or ZohoShow (and for those who have privacy concerns - Draw.io - open source and can save to your desktop) and linked it into the online course space.

In the past I've encouraged learners to explore the Pomodoro technique as it's easy to grasp and implement for productive learning sessions. But, it's not for everyone. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to different ways to help students monitor their progress - visibly. I also think I need to build in more group debriefings (hard when the time I have with learners is short !) to help them stay on track or see where they might be avoiding parts of their planning that is uncomfortable or difficult.

Thanks!

In reply to Sylvia Riessner

Re: Activity 2: Sylvia's Activity

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Sylvia,

The link to "My Plan" goes to a site prompting me to sign in. I wonder if you could please share your plan in the comments below?

I really like the idea of linking not just their goals/outcomes but the 'work' that is needed to achieve them. I just watched the Pomodoro video on the link you shared, and I have to say, I want to start doing it! Sometimes we need those external, concrete structures to attain goals (especially ones that don't have hard deadlines). 

I also like how you want students to explore their paths visually. I went on a workshop several years ago that had us set a goal and a plan to achieve it. Two tasks were particularly memorable and effective. In one, we mapping out the steps on papers on the floor, physically walked from one to the next, and explained to a partner the steps were were taking and how we achieved moving from one to the next. (Somehow it made it seem that much more achievable). The other task was to write ourselves a congratulatory letter for having achieved our goal. We wrote to ourselves int he future, and the facilitator collected them and actually mailed them to us 3-6 months later (per our direction). When I received the letter in the post, it was so exciting to congratulate myself and to see what I had indeed achieved because I'd put the plan in motion. 

I appreciate how challenging it can be to inappropriate these aspects into short-term courses, and how the group debriefing can be that much more difficult to incorporate--not just because of time constraints, but also a group that doesn't necessarily know each other very well.

In reply to Shawna Williams

Appreciate the feedback

by Sylvia Riessner -

I've heard of the congratulatory letter activity but haven't tried it. In this day and age I would bet it would have the added impact of being unique (receiving a letter in the mail!)

I like the sounds of your floor walking - especially the idea of explaining to a partner. I'm part of an online book club that BCcampus is hosting right now and this week's chapter from Lang's "Small Teachings" (our book to analyze) is all about self-explaining as a way to aid student learning. 

Appreciate you taking the time to review. Am hoping (planning!) to get back in later this afternoon to review other postings!

Oops-bad link

by Sylvia Riessner -

Thanks for checking the link - should have done that - was on the run (duhh!)

I've saved it out as a pdf - it's only a few slides. If you have time, take a look!

by Beth Cougler Blom -
Sylvia this feels like a bit of a "hero's journey"-type support document - neat!

Other question prompts it's making me think about along the way that could inspire metacognitive thinking are:
    • What do I know about myself that I want to keep in mind as I worked on this assignment?
    • What big lesson have I learned from a previous assignment that I want to keep in mind as I work on this one?
    • What has worked for me in the past to successfully complete assignments?
    • What kind of a reward (if any) will motivate me to complete this assignment?
    • What have I seen other students do that I'd like to try out to help myself complete this assignment?
There are so many possibilities!

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for attaching the PDF, I could not access the link. I have not yet heard of the pomodoro technique but I quite like it. 

I recently took a time & stress management course through UFV and was introduced to the Urgent-Important matrix. I found it helpful when I need to determine how to allocate my time effectively and when I need to remind myself that Importance (and NOT urgency) is the deciding factor. I thought this may be appropriate in your third slide should you choose to use it. 

matrix

Image credit: https://medium.com/swlh/how-to-master-your-priorities-with-the-urgent-important-matrix-a7904de55266

We were told to focus on filling quadrant two (not urgent but important) so that it would not overflow into quadrant one and we slip into "crisis" and survival mode. Items in quadrant 4 were to be entirely eliminated. 

In terms of motivation, I always think of "value X expectancy". If the student sees the value in the assignment and expects to do well, they are more motivated. 

Of course, one cannot forget the power/load formula which also comes into play: https://www.nova.edu/hpded/ctl/forms/vol_5_3.pdf

I hope this is helpful. 

Viviana 

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Sylvia Riessner -

I like the visual - a matrix to keep me focused on the important not just the most pressing or urgent.  And the power-load formula is interesting - just scanned it yesterday but it's on my reading list for the weekend.

Thanks for sharing.