Activity 2: Doug's Metacognitive Activity

Activity 2: Doug's Metacognitive Activity

by Doug Strable -
Number of replies: 11

Many of my students are not familiar with sharing their opinions opening, so I feel I'll need to integrate guidance in the course design to create create blog-type entries. In the last FLO Design course, a weekly reflection question appeared on Wednesday. These were in a read-only Forum and I enjoyed and learned reading everyone's answers to the same question. I feel adding these types of reflective questions each week will be an ideal way to integrate reflective practices in the online technical English course I'm designing now. 

This question appeared in the FLO Design course for the first week was 

What has been the most interesting/ engaging/ impactful thing you have experienced in the course in week 1? Why did it have this impact on you?

I feel this will be an ideal way to integrate reflective practices in the online technical English course I'm designing now. My question is with the course being 12-weeks long I wonder if having a reflective question each week might become too repetitive. 

• Is there any similar type of guiding activity I could use later in the course?

Students here have difficulty answering, "why do you think this is true, or how do you know this is true?" My thinking is to change the questions to more complex why questions. To enhance the community in the course, instructors will also hare their answers to the questions in the Forum. Adding reflective guidance in the course is an exciting idea I feel the students will enjoy since it is very different from their previous schooling.   

• Please share any suggestions about specific questions that worked for your classes.  

Doug

In reply to Doug Strable

Re: Activity 2: Doug's Metacognitive Activity

by Beth Cougler Blom -

What if you started off, earlier in the course, with pre-written reflective prompts written by you, but as the course goes on you start asking them to be responsible to write and then, of course, answer, the prompts? Could the class be divided up into small groups to do this, as in "Four of you are responsible this week to come up with reflective discussion prompts that the rest of the class will answer." You could ask them to work together to come up with the four questions (one each) or make it an individual activity.

In reply to Beth Cougler Blom

by Doug Strable -

Hello Beth, 

Oh! I like this idea very much! Having students to move on to write their own reflective responses is a great way to enhance their learning.  I will put this in the design. 

Thank you for sharing, 

Doug 

In reply to Doug Strable

by Heather Smith -

Hi Doug -- Beth's suggestions are consistent with my experiences with international students in my previous classes. Having them be able to work together in some capacity and in ways that make their specific individual questions anonymized seemed to help foster engagement. As well, the idea of building in regular reflective practice has worked for me in a variety of classes as well. 

Cheers - Heather  

In reply to Heather Smith

by Doug Strable -

Thanks, Heather for mentioning how you have found success with building reflective practices as Beth noted.  I can see how this would work well with international students.

Thank you for helping resolve my concerns, 

Doug 

In reply to Doug Strable

by Shawna Williams -

Hi Doug,

I personally don't feel that a reflective question every 12 weeks is too repetitive; however, I would encourage you to offer a slightly different version of the question each week (I'm sure that's your plan anyway). Students tend to like the repeated structure, but don't want to get bored of the same question. You could also ask about the most challenging, difficult, thought-provoking, surprising, etc. thing encountered. 

I like Beth's suggestion of having small groups of students be responsible to come up with subsequent questions, whereas maybe you model the first few weeks' questions and then they are responsible for the remaining.

If students are struggling with answering "why do you think this is true", do you model responses of your own? Or, I wonder if you can get permission from students who have done a good job responding, to share (anonymously) their answers?

BTW - I lived in the Kansai region for four years and I have an absolute love for Japan.

In reply to Shawna Williams

by Doug Strable -

Hello Shawna, 

Keeping the structure constant but varying the details is a very important point to keep boredom from creeping in. Yes, I do vary the activities etc and thank you for suggesting some questions words to use. These ideas have already sparked my imagination. 

I can see Beth's suggestion for creating groups will also work well to scaffold the learning. 

I agree I have used modelling to illustrate the type of action we expect in the assignment in the past but need to use this more for international students.  These are all great suggestions, thank you. 

PS - You are lucky to have lived in Kansai (Osaka) region! 

Doug  

In reply to Doug Strable

by Leonne Beebe -

Doug,

Thank you for asking these questions about encouraging your ESL students to speak their opinions. This is a challenge that I have also found. At first, some of my Fundamental ESL students were reluctant to even speak out in class.  

Further encouraged by what I am learning from this Micro FLO, I am continuing to start our class with a reading  or video, followed up by a discussion about the topic. I ask/model the questions for them to answer.  Then, I write one question on the board for them to think about and write down something they found new and interesting from the reading/video to share in our "Teaching Circle" They can bring their written reflection to read in the Circle.  I write the same question again to use for our Teaching Circle.  

We have already talked about that when we are sharing our reflections/opinions the classroom is a safe, non-judgmental place to practice speaking because as listeners we do not need to agree or approve of what the speaker is saying; however, we will respectfully accept their opinion.  One student takes their turn as the Circle leader and asks each student the reflection question written on the board. I have another student write point form what each student says, so we end up with a collection of the students' reflections. We often continue our topic discussion expanding on the students' reflection. After this activity, students use their phones to take pictures of the whiteboard with all the point form content.  We follow up our "listening/speaking" Teaching Circle by integrating this content into writing a paragraph about the reading/video. 

What I am noticing about the students' participation in this "reflection/collaboration" activity is the students have become more vocal and willing to share their reflections/opinions. 

Out of confusion comes clarity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Doug Strable -

Hello Leonne, 

Creating a "Teaching Circle" where reflections/opinions are respected in a safe, non-judgmental place is a great idea!  It is natural for people not to share ideas when judged.  After taking this FLO Micro course I definitely have more confidence to convince our team to include more reflective work in the course. 

Thank you. I will explain the concept will and create a safe environment.  

Doug 

In reply to Doug Strable

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Doug,

I recall being quite anxious in group discussions when I first came to Canada. In Eastern Europe the teacher did most of the talking and we were "empty vessels" waiting to be filled. 

One night, working for elections last week, at 7pm it was quiet. Not one phone call or walk in. So I took out my book "The Skillful Teacher" by Brookfield and came upon this "speech" borne out of sheer panic as his class was silent. This is all it took to open "the conversational floodgates". Perhaps a shorter quote or saying that can reduce performance anxiety may be helpful, in additional to all the other suggestions. 

Viviana 

discussions

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Doug Strable -

Hello Viviana,

This is a lovely story. I agree silence does not mean there is no mental inertia. I am more of a silent type myself, and just like your story, with the pressure off and a welcoming atmosphere, I find myself more willing to share my thoughts.  In the technology company, I worked for previously, in Waterloo, Ontario, the CEO and I would hold our sales meetings walking through the park nearby rather than an office in the company. We had some wonderful exchanges. 

I will continue to test and create an atmosphere in the online course that is conducive to students wanting to share their reflections about their learning.  

Doug