Posts made by Nancy Riffer

I found this by Silvia Tolisano in the K-12 Online Conference --ispeak, ising, ilisten, ilearn.  At about 4 min. into talk Silvia starts giving concrete examples of her use of ipod (mp3 player) technology in the classroom.  She sees ipods as useful for teacher prepared material, material created by students, and material created by outside sources.  E.g. "Notes from Spain," in English, gives news, traditions, food, etc. to supplement classroom learning about culture.  "Notes in Spanish" podcasts natural conversations by native speakers not focused around a grammar point. She has helped students create a podcast of neumonic devices for the months of the year which she presents excerpts from.  There are many excellent examples of using podcasts.  Makes me want to learn Spanish.
I came across a short video chronicaling sharing done in the first people's project.  (Click on the video icon on this page to hear about the Choctaw Indians project.)  It is a window into crosscultural projects that are being done around the world using technology and involving first peoples.  Podcasting seems a natural next step.

I've done f2f training in the mental health system in NY State for a number of years. 
Over the last 3-4 years I've participated in and led some online classes and attended several online conferences and workshops.  I co-led an online graduate course on change in schools.

Recently, I met someone at an online conference on Appreciative Inquiry who is using SKYPE to build understanding across international boundaries by way of creating soap operas.  See www.brookenya.org   Excitement about this has brought me back to online learning/teaching and its potential.  I participated in the session at SCoPE on informal learning.  Informal learning is a great  name for what interests me.  The part of online work that I'm drawn to is interactive and involves "improvisation" based in knowing an area well. I enjoy this aspect of podcasts recorded from "live" situations.

Here is one situation in which I might use podcasting knowledge.  I am on the board of schools for boys and girls in the northwest part of Pakistan.  See  www.ibtida.org   One of our hopes is to connect schools in Pakistan with schools in the US. as sister schools.  Our schools in Pakistan have computers and internet access.  Podcasts may be one way to make connections.

I look forward to getting to know everyone better.
I have made three or four annotations in a thread: Overview of second round, David Millar. I used highlighting and then enter. Then I typed a note. I used firefox. Several times threads opened in IE and this approach did not work. Nothing happened.  I reopened the post in firefox and it worked fine.