Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

I would like to share the following videos by David Gauntlett on how to get people to open up and share their experiences with more meaningful responses via the use of lego. This could be done online, too. I would be interested in trying this for qualitative phenomenological research in a virtual synchronous classroom.

Janet,
I'm in Israel so I ordered via Sage in the UK, but the code did not seem to catch. It said the book would be published in February. So, I guess, I will have to wait.

I can't wait to read the book. If only I could add it to my references! I will need special permission as I can't introduce new references that were not included in chapters 1-3 of my dissertation. Silly, eh?

Hi Janet,

This workshop is perfect for my research interests and doctoral dissertation. I completed my 3 year doctoral studies in educational leadership specializing in curriculum and instruction online at the University of Phoenix. I found it very natural to conduct my phenomenological qualitative study online. I'm currently completing transcribing 20 online interviews I conducted for my doctoral research project on blended learning in higher education using SKYPE. I interviewed instructors who use or used blended learning in higher education. I really enjoyed the interviews and became close friends with most of the participants. However, it was difficult to get the IRB & ARB to accept my proposal.

A few months ago, we created Integrating Technology for Active Lifelong Learning (IT4ALL) with a few passionate facilitators and technical experts who are volunteering their time to provide free online learning worldwide. Most of the workshops cater to educators and professional development. Each of the workshops consist of Blended Online Learning (BOL) formats where we use Moodle for the asynchronous and WiZiQ for the synchronous modules.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with online interviewing for research and learning with everyone.

Please feel free to contact me.

Warm wishes,

Nellie Deutsch

Hi Bee,

Thank you for sharing Sidorkin's paper. I liked the statement he made about our feelings getting in the way of "a direct relation" because "Psychnologsits have convinced us that what we feel is what we are, and what the other says s/he feels is what s/he is". This reminds me of Alan Watts ideas on "who am I?" in The Tao of Philosophy. I believe spreading awareness and connecting to our students is the way to go. However, it may be hard to do our own thing if we have the administration/principal/supervisor watching our backs and dictating the policies. The trick is follow humanistic ideals and not get fired by the learning institution. I have striven to do my own thing as an EFL teacher in the public school system for over 30 years, but it has not been easy.