Coming soon!

Coming soon!

by Janet Salmons -
Number of replies: 11

Start 2010 with what I hope will be a lively discussion of online interview research! Can't wait? Watch the Online Interviews In Real Time: Webinar And Book Release Party https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/event/description?instance_id=17334.

Everyone is welcome, whether you are just thinking about research, an experienced researcher, or someone who guides and teaches researchers.

Naturally, I will be referring to the book, Online Interviews in Real Time but book purchase is not a requirement for participation. (http://www.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book233088&level1=Course1007&currTree=Courses) I will be posting additional materials and will welcome you to contribute as well.

I will set up one discussion thread for students/researchers and another for instructors/reviewers. You are welcome to participate in either or both discussions. However, the issues may be slightly different for those who are proposing and conducting research and those who must give others feedback and evaluate research designs, theses, dissertations or articles for publication.

I will also arrange at least one synchronous event-- once we get started in January I'll ask for a vote on best times and schedule accordingly.

I look forward to our vibrant exchange starting January 18, 2010.

Warmly,

Janet

In reply to Janet Salmons

Re: Coming soon!

by mireille massue -

I'm looking forward to this session

I'm new to scope and so I do have a question?

How do we get notified on the time?

Mireille

In reply to mireille massue

by Janet Salmons -
This seminar will occur primarily in this SCoPE forum area. Next week, I will post threads with ideas, information and themes for discussion. Once we see the time zones and preferences of participants we will schedule two synchronous sessions during week two. All schedules etc. will be posted here, so don't worry, you will not miss anything!

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Janet-

This looks like an interesting discussion, and I just ordered your book. I recall speaking with you in the past when you discussed your work for this, and am glad it is now in print. It seems this may be a very useful discussion here.

Question about this, which may in turn help other people who are considering some of these issues. It seems your work may be about online synchronous interviews using chat, virtual worlds, message boards and the like -- does it also include synchronous online calls, such as via Skype or DimDim, where there is real-time phone-based discussion?

Looking forward to next week.

Jeffrey

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Janet Salmons -
Hi Jeffrey!

The four categories of synchronous technologies I will be discussing are: text-based communication, videoconference or video call (e.g. Skype), multi-channel meeting spaces (e.g. DimDim, Elluminate), and 3D immersive environments.

See you next week!
Janet

by Susan Santo -

This is exactly what I was looking for! I would like to conduct some real-time interviews in Second Life and need to know how to present this idea to an IRB at my university, as well as some tips for conducting real-time interviews online. I'm looking forward to the course and I have just ordered a copy of your book.

Susan

In reply to Susan Santo

by Janet Salmons -

Glad you found the seminar and I look forward to talking with you next week! Addressing IRB-- and ethical concerns-- is a central theme of the book.

Janet

by yadira perez -

I am cultural anthropologist from NYC whose research is in the Caribbean but is moving to Auckland, NZ for two years. I am really looking forward to your seminar and discussions on how to conduct online interviews!

I am new to scope but I assume I will get an update or will need to check in on this discussion board to find out the date.

Looking forward to the discussion. Yadira

by Bronwyn Stuckey -
Really looking forward to this seminar and the dialog it will stimulate. Lots of homeowrk to do here in preparation - so I had better get ordering the book and reading. ~ Bron

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Congratulations on the new book, Janet. I wish we had connected as you suggested before I started my own live online interviews for my doctoral research project, but that's life. I am looking forward to connecting soon so I can share my experiences with others.