Learn Together Collaboratory Introduction

Re: Networks of Online Communities

by Sandy Hirtz -
Number of replies: 4
Paul asks, “When building a network of online communities should we use the same technology platform for each (which often affords benefits from an administration point of view) or allow a diversity of technologies which allows each group to have a custom solution specific to their needs and interests (but often creates integration challenges)?”

Just as real world community learning spaces are varied, unique and designed specifically to accommodate a need or purpose, so I think online communities should be.

It would be convenient from an administration point of view to have them integrated, but is it necessary? Is it practical? Wouldn’t it be like using one building, say the local pub, for all our learning purposes?

I enjoy my forays into Second Life but would not want all my professional learning activities focused there. I want some, but not all to be social. I want some, but not all to be collaborative. I want some, but not all to be constructivist and linear. I want diverse technologies that match my diverse learning purposes.
In reply to Sandy Hirtz

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Sandy,
I agree with you -- there needs to be more diversity of platforms -- because from my perspective -- not all platforms can meet the same needs and that "illusive perfect" platform will no doubt be improved upon or new needs will have to be met. One of the main issues is "cost effectiveness" and not just focussing on technology -- but on the serving of technology for the purpose of learning and collaborative exchanges.

I'm have been really delighted with the possibilities that already exist -- but cost for education is high and availablity and access are the two main areas of concern for more massive distribution.

Although I've explored Second Life a little and am curious where it will go. Generally our various learning needs to have many adaptable venues as not one works for everything or everybody.

In reply to Sandy Hirtz

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
I share your concern about platforms. Large educational institutes become entrapped by single tools because that is the reality of administrating IT. Costs of development, training and administration have to be spread out over the expected years of use.

Because I am a faculty developer and don't have to be concerned with fees or marks, I get to be the innovator on my campus much to the consternation and occasional delight of our IT managers. If I don't like a campus tool, I find an alternative. I can experiment and change my mind but the responsibility that goes with that freedom is the hours of personal time I spend learning new tools. Most faculty and students aren't willing or able to put in those hours.

So it's a Catch-22, by the time IT, faculty and students have learned to use Blackboard for example, it is out of date and better tools are on the market. As long as we have traditional universities this will be an issue.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Paul Stacey -
Sandy/Jo Ann/Deirdre:

I agree with you all, a diversity is desired but don't forget that each additional technology that is used has a cost both in real dollars, support/maintenance, and a user overhead cost dealing with complexity. Most online community platforms these days represent an attempt to integrate together multiple tools into a common environment.

I think its fruitless to be talking about a perfect platform. Think of it like a car. There are lots of different kinds of cars from high end to old beater, but in the end the purpose is to get you from point A to point B. If you're like me you don't even have a car, instead you take the bus, the SkyTrain, the taxi, ride your bicycle, ... Which interestingly fulfills your diversity request (diverse modes of transportation in this case) and costs less than owning a car.

Paul

In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Sue Wolff -
Deirdre, admin costs are always an important consideration. Also a faculty developer, I agree with you that
I can experiment and change my mind, but the responsibility that goes with that freedom is the hours of personal time I spend learning new tools. Most faculty and students aren't willing or able to put in those hours.
Perhaps it's just me, but when I'm commissioned, encouraged, or supported by my Director to do online community work, the organization just scored a bonus into my personal time. This kind of design and facilitation work is what motivates me. Don't most people have some sweet spot where their work becomes play and spills over? My challenge is understanding the entire situation enough to present a convincing case how a networked community WILL meet strategic goals and be cost effective in order to win that support. Being rather new (6 mo) to an institution that tried build everything in SharePoint right before I came, is part of my challenge.