Activity 1: Reflections: Neil Davison

Activity 1: Reflections: Neil Davison

by Neil Davison -
Number of replies: 4

Hello 

Metacognition has interjected itself several times into discussions in my MSc Digital Education studies. I am on a semester break from it but thought this course might allow me to explore more pointedly what metacognition means when designing a course. I am starting to toy with designing training sessions at work (College of New Caledonia, BC).  The short format allows me to keep my toes in the hot spring without too much anxiety as a beginner.

Metacognition to me is about awareness of actions, mental or physical; being present, and also taking time to review what happened or what is happening.

My expectations from the course? Primarily to use this week to garner a more structured idea of what metacognition looks like in an activity. I want to be able to pin it down into something more tangible and I am looking forward to (read dreading) showcasing something simple and get some good feedback from such a formidable (in the nicest way) cohort.    

Neil
@neil_dav

In reply to Neil Davison

Re: Activity 1: Reflections: Neil Davison

by Leonne Beebe -

Welcome, Neil,

Thank you for sharing your semester break thinking about thinking with us.  Metacognitive activities can show up whenever we choose to use them: before, at the beginning, during the middle, at the end, and after the course has finished - whenever we want students to think about what they have already experienced and learned and/or what they may need to do to improve their learning process.  We can also become reflective practitioners, thinking and learning about what we have just taught and how we might change our teaching in the future. Metacognition helps us to self-assess and move forward in our learning process.

Micro FLOs are designed for people like you who have just enough time to devote to a five-day learning "road trip". This course shell will stay open, so you can go back and look at the other participants' responses, feedback, and resources. Check out the new Micro FLOs as they are announced. The topics align with the issues online teachers have suggested.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Neil Davison -

Thanks Leonne

I have looked at FLO offerings before but was always hesitant as many are directed at instruction and classroom practice, of which I am limited to some TEFL many years ago, and never really had the confidence to interject. 

Good to know the course shell remains open.

In reply to Neil Davison

by Viviana Chiorean -

Welcome Neil,

I agree, this is a great opportunity to bridge theory into practice and receive feedback, all within a short timeframe. Are you completing your program fully online? It sounds very interesting!

Viviana 

In reply to Viviana Chiorean

by Neil Davison -

Hi Viviana

Thanks for asking, yes, fully online through U of Edinburgh. I had no exposure to post grad study prior and it has been superb. A style not unlike this FLO in many respects, as I am finding out.

MScDE