Rey LS Activity

Rey LS Activity

by Reynaldo Chang -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Doug and Asif, 

Here is my LS activity. 

Scenario and Purpose: 

One of the assessment tools widely used in Canadian postsecondary institutions is to require student writing. The writing can be a response to a question, an assignment, a critique, an analysis, or a research paper. The reason for such requirement is not just to test learner knowledge but also to hone their skills in critical/analytical thinking, presentation, and effective communication. Writing is an important life skill. 

The group scenario I am considering is a department/faculty meeting to brainstorm ideas and strategies how to prevent plagiarism, thereby emphasizing academic integrity.

Proposed Liberating Structure:

1-2-4-All. I find this an appropriate LS to “simultaneously engage everyone simultaneous in generating questions, ideas and suggestions” (source: www.liberatingstructures.com/1-1-2-4-all).

Invitation:

What strategies can you recommend to prevent plagiarism? 

I would appreciate it very much if you can reflect on this question and share your effective strategies how to prevent plagiarism in order to support our learners’ academic success.

Sequence of Steps and Time Allocation:

• Silent self-reflection on the question on the question framed in the invitation (1 min.)
  • Generate ideas in pairs, building on ideas from self-reflection. (2 min)
  • Since there are only 3 of us in the team, share and develop ideas as a whole team, noting similarities and differences (4 min)
  • What is one idea that stood out in your conversation? (5 min)

I look forward to hearing from you, Doug and Asif.

In reply to Reynaldo Chang

Re: Rey LS Activity

by Asif Devji -

Hi Doug -- please see below my thoughts on Rey's case -- let me know what you think.

CASE:

• Desired outcome: test learner knowledge but also to hone their skills in critical/analytical thinking, presentation, and effective communication
  • Identified issue: prevent plagiarism
  • Proposed  intervention: department/faculty meeting to brainstorm ideas and strategies how to prevent plagiarism, thereby emphasizing academic integrity
    • 1-2-4-All
      • What strategies can you recommend to prevent plagiarism? 

• The LS structure selected seems appropriate to solicit feedback from the group around the table (department/faculty)
    • I wonder if there is a way to include the learners themselves in a discussion around preventing plagiarism

• Are there LS activities that could be used in-class at the beginning of the year to have learners think through the pros/cons of using plagiarism vis-a-vis the desired outcome: hone their skills in critical/analytical thinking, presentation, and effective communication

• Are there LS activities that could be used to solicit feedback from learners as to why a resort to plagiarism might be a rational choice for them? (Note: this would definitely require creating a safe space for learners to speak freely about this taboo subject)

• Are there LS activities that could be used with students to develop their own code of conduct with regards to plagiarism?

• If work with the learners is sequenced first (in order to gather data re: learner perspectives), other LS activities might be useful to feed that data into a next step of negotiating strategies with department/faculty to address the identified issue of plagiarism
In reply to Asif Devji

by Doug Strable -

Feedback on Rey's Activity. 

Hello Asif, 

I would agree with you that the LS Rey chose seems appropriate to solicit everyone to generate feedback in a faculty/department meeting. I would recommend writing all the ideas on a flip-charge in small groups and then presenting the ideas of the group to everyone in the meeting. 

My initial thought is the invitation which I believe you are alluding to as well, is the invitation assumes there is a problem with plagiarism. Before asking about the strategies to prevent plagiarism I feel an LS invitation such as the one below would help encourage deeper conversations. 

Invitation #1 -- Based on your experience, what challenges are you facing regarding plagiarism in your classes?  (Once the challenges are known, then the question can be discussed about strategies to resolve them). 

Invitation #2 -- What can we do to help students avoid plagiarism? 

The comment in your feedback about involving learners is an interesting strategy, but my understanding of the "consultant" task is not to answer Rey's question but consider if Rey's question will help attendees in the faculty meeting provide feedback he is looking for in the faculty meeting.  

As an aside, my experience shows the concept of plagiarism is very culturally specific. With the increased international base, it is an important value all students need to be aware of.   I think Invitation #1 would bring the cultural issues in the discussions better than Rey's invitation question.  What do you think? 

In reply to Doug Strable

by Reynaldo Chang -

Thank you, Doug and Asif, for your insightful feedback and constructive comments on how to strengthen my LS activity.

I value your inputs, Asif, on including the learners, in the conversation. I see it from the point of view of stakeholder consultation and feedback. I particularly liked your proposed sequencing of activities to bring it to a logical conclusion.

Doug, I really appreciate your two proposed questions as a way to strengthen my invitation question. It shows a very strong learner-centred philosophy, at the same time, consultative and promotes transparency in identifying and, perhaps, reaffirming, the most oftenly not discussed topic on academic integrity during department/faculty meetings. 

I am also glad that you highlighted the emerging trend on internationalization of learner based and the cultural context of where the international learners are coming from. This makes managing the challenges of academic dishonesty a bit daunting, but not necessarily insurmountable. I really like the context and perspectives that you brought in my proposed LS activity.

I will certainly consider your inputs and suggestions in strengthening my LS activity.

With kind regards,

Rey