Meg's LS for pre-teambuilding connections

Meg's LS for pre-teambuilding connections

by Meg Walker -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Rachelle and Faith,

Here goes! Looking forward to your thoughts and advice.

Context

Students are in several Yukon communities and by Winter term are used to the online learning tools of Moodle and Zoom.

The course is within a one-year certificate program. Prerequisite for the course is in Fall semester so most students will have at least a sense of each other; however some part-time students may be taking the certificate over two or more years, so may be joining the class “out of the blue” from the through-students’ perspective.

Purpose of activity

Opportunity for students to get to know each other more through exploring thoughts and feelings about public speaking. In the weeks after this activity, students will complete a Group Presentation Project that has them working in trios or quartets to create and present an oral presentation.

Instructor will also use observation from this activity to create groups for an upcoming Group Presentation Project, balancing the number of stronger and more distracted students in each.

Chosen Liberating Structure

Drawing Together, presented synchronously online through Zoom

Invitation

We’ll take the next 50 minutes to explore together some of our feelings, attitudes and experiences around public speaking. Please find some blank paper and writing materials (pen, pencil, markers). We’re going to draw together, using five simple symbols that anyone can doodle – there is no need to be an artist or to make things that look realistic or perfect, it’s a playful exercise!

I’ll draw the symbols right here on the whiteboard with my mouse, so you can see how easy it is. Then we’ll all try it together.

Space Arrangement & Materials

Breakout rooms in Zoom; pen/pencil and paper

I considered asking students to work with drawing tools in Word or whiteboard in Zoom. However, I think having individual drawing spaces/surfaces is best for this activity (whiteboard in Zoom is shared); and in Word, if students aren’t familiar with the drawing tools, that will be distracting, time-consuming and likely frustrating.

How Participation is Distributed

Everyone is included since the five symbols are easy for everyone to draw

All participants make their individual drawings simultaneously

Group Configuration

Start alone but in main room; then groups of three in breakout rooms; then whole group back in main room.

Sequencing & Time Allocation

50 - 555 min of 90 min session; there’s a bit of a time lag in entering/exiting breakout rooms and people need time to share drawings at end since they won’t be pinned up on a wall.

In Zoom meeting room, introduce symbols and practice drawing symbols: circle, rectangle, triangle, spiral, star person. Show each other variations – instructor also draws – laugh together. 5 min

Invite participants to combine the symbols to create the first draft of a story, working individually and without words, about “the journey” of working on a challenge or an innovation. 10 min.

Invite participants to create a second draft, in which they refine their story by dramatizing the size, placement, and color of the symbols. 10 min.

Divide participants into trios, in breakout rooms. Invite each to interpret the others’ drawings. Remind them that the person who has done the drawing does not speak. 10 min.

Back in main meeting room: Each person identifies, to the group, their own interpretation of what 2-3 elements are most significant and/or surprising to them. Instructor listens and asks group to reflect, as a whole, on what the drawings reveal together. 15-20 min.

In reply to Meg Walker

Re: Meg's LS for pre-teambuilding connections

by Faith Whiting -

Hi Meg, 

I'm glad you chose this LS. I am one of those people who really connects to expression through words so this activity challenged me in all kinds of ways. I tried first to experience the activity based on just your description, before looking deeper into how the LS is described through the "menu". 

Here's what I came up with, in terms of feedback, based on that experience:

1. I love the technical considerations you gave when adapting this LS to a synchronous zoom classroom (in terms of using Word vs the whiteboard vs paper).
  2. As an expression-through-image challenged person, I felt like I might have benefited more from this activity (and felt more "buy in") if some of the info found in the "what is made possible" section (http://www.liberatingstructures.com/20-drawing-together/) was offered in the intro to the activity.
  3.  I had to chuckle at myself. When I first tried to create a story, I was really stumped with what a rectangle/spiral/circle/star/person could mean. I then saw in the description of the activity that they were actually all ascribed meaning (ie. circle = wholeness, triangle = goal, etc). That changed everything for me! I'm sure you'd include that info in your actual class but I thought I'd mention it as things felt way too far-out for me before I had that knowledge.
  4. Lastly, I wondered about this part: Invite participants to combine the symbols to create the first draft of a story, working individually and without words, about “the journey” of working on a challenge or an innovationI was curious - if the goal is to explore our thoughts and feelings around public speaking, should participants not focus their story/interpretations/debrief around a public speaking experience? When I created my story around a challenge/innovation, it wasn't connected to public speaking so it would have been difficult for me to relate my story to this topic. Does that make sense?

Well done Meg! I'll reiterate that it's so good for learners like me to be challenged to explore concepts/journeys through different mediums. I liked this activity!

In reply to Meg Walker

by Meg Walker -

Wait, that invitation isn't complete because I hadn't yet offered the subject/topic for students to consider.

Try this:

"We’ll take the next 50 minutes to explore together some of our feelings, attitudes and experiences around public speaking. Please find some blank paper and writing materials (pen, pencil, markers). We’re going to draw together, using five simple symbols that anyone can doodle – there is no need to be an artist or to make things that look realistic or perfect, it’s a playful exercise!

Please think about a time where you spoke in front of a group, and let's say a group = four or more people. It could be simple or formal - a story around a campfire, a toast at a wedding, instructions for beading or sewing, or even a tour if you've worked in the tourism industry. Each of us will choose a memory about speaking to a group and making a drawing about that experience.

I’ll draw the symbols right here on the whiteboard with my mouse, so you can see how easy it is. Then we’ll all try it together, and then we'll jump into drawing our individual stories."

In reply to Meg Walker

by Faith Whiting -

Ha! I posted my feedback for you before seeing this. You've so astutely addressed my point #4 - amazing! This activity is so different with this added info. Maybe I need to try it again from the top. It's such a creative activity. It definitely feels liberating. 

In reply to Faith Whiting

by Meg Walker -

Hi Faith - I didn't see your writing before I added that in; I know the client isn't supposed to reply, so I was trying to get that edit in before any responses appeared! Eep! I think we were both writing at the same time (with that 30 min delay in the mix). 

In reply to Meg Walker

by Rachelle McElroy -

Meg, 

You're so innovative, I love the use of the "Drawing Together" LS activity in relation to exploring feelings of terror for some around public speaking! I'm going to use this with my students - thank you for the idea and mapping it out. I agree it is a good team building and confidence boosting, I would add, activity empowering students in life.

I have added a few comments to your post.

Rachelle