1. Say Hello and Share Your Plan

1. Say Hello and Share Your Plan

by Jamie Billingham -
Number of replies: 19

Say hello here and tell us a bit about yourself.

And....

If you completed one of the worksheets you can post it (or your very strong feelings about this process) to this forum.

Or share the basics:

1. What is you topic? What are you going to explain in your video? 

2. Who is your audience? Who are you creating this video for? What are your assumptions about your audience?

3. What do you want them to take away from this video? What is the learning goal or objective?

4. What are the 1 - 3 BIG ideas that you will include in this video?

5. How long will you video be? How many minutes and how many words? 

Reply to this post to keep introductions and plan sharing in this thread.

In reply to Jamie Billingham

Re: 1. Say Hello and Share Your Plan

by Sylvia Currie -

Hello! I'm thrilled to be enrolled in this course as a participant. This is a switch for me because I usually co-facilitate MicroCourses.

I've been a fan of explainer videos for years so I was thrilled when Jamie suggested this topic. Also, it occurs to me we could use one for our Facilitating Learning Online family of courses! I haven't decided if I'll create one general video or several -- one for each course. Still thinking...

My audience:

• Potential registrants or adopters 
  • My assumption about my audience? That they may not yet know about the FLO model or appreciate the value of FLO courses.

Takeaways:

• Learning to facilitate online well is a commitment, and requires experiencing several roles: learner, facilitator, designer...
  • Completing FLO courses will improve the online course experience and learning for students

BIG ideas

• Participatory and learner-centred
  • Safe, respectful learning environment
  • Feedback-rich 
  • Reflective practice
  • Relevant and meaningful

How long?

• Aiming for no more than 2 minutes (hahahaha)
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Jacquie Harrison -

HI Sylvie,

Nice to see you! I'm looking forward to learning from and with you again. 

I've just started exploring and will share my plan soon.

Jacquie

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Sylvia : -)

It's good to (virtually) see you again lol

Explainer videos for FLO would be awesome!

2 minutes - I have faith in you.

"You can do it" poster of woman showing muscles.

by emma bourassa -

Hear here!! Modeling good practice :) 

let me know if the happy face is the size of the planet again!! 

by Jacquie Harrison -

HI all!

I'm so happy to be taking this course as at this time. I've preparing to take over revising and teaching the Certificate in Online/ELearning Instruction at VCC. I'm researching what cognitive science has to say about designing multimedia learning so this course dovetails nicely!

The video I hope to make I can drop into my course. This is a great opportunity for me to learn, practice and get feedback. Thanks for offering this course!

My topic;

Constructive alignment

My audience:

• Students in the first course in the Certificate in Online Instruction. The pre-requisite to this Certificate is the Provincial Instructor Diploma. Constructive alignment is a key concept in the Diploma and it would be good to have a short refresher before students begin.  We also allow students to register who have not completed the PIDP but have prior experience as an instructor. As this is a foundational concept, I don't want to assume that they are familiar with alignment in course development. 

Takeaways:

Understanding at the conceptual level of constructive alignment and why it is important in instructional design. 

BIG ideas

Definition of outcomes/objectives

alignment with instructional activities and assessment

How long?

Aiming for 4 minutes but no longer than 5!

I am also really looking forward to hearing about others' videos too. 

In reply to Jacquie Harrison

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Jacquie,

Your topic sounds really interesting and perfect for an explainer video (it's a concept that might be hard for some students to grasp, requires a common understanding, and isn't likely to change for awhile).

In reading your outline I can see all kinds of visuals that would help folks understand the concepts, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop : -)

By the way - I took the PIDP years ago and still regularly use almost everything I learned including Bob Aiken's handouts on brain-based learning and his broom and wine glass demo (I don't actually do that one very often cos it's messy).

Cheers,

jamie

In reply to Jacquie Harrison

by emma bourassa -

" I don't want to assume" - this is so key, Jacquie. I look forward to the explainer! 

In reply to emma bourassa

by emma bourassa -

Well, sigh, right from the getgo I have loaded into the wrong spot! Ah well, process, right? 

Here is my plan so far: 

Hi all, 

This idea comes from an exercise I have used face to face for many years. It is the first of a series of communication patterns exercises and theory used in workshops and classes for intercultural communication studies. This could be a first information/explaining video used to introduce the concept of communication patterns. 

Intercultural theorists identify experiential learning as the most effective way to build understanding because there is potential for empathy- experiencing what another does in order to raise awareness and sensitivity of how intercultural interactions can be a challenge and/or not lead to getting something done. 

Here is the first draft and I welcome feedback! 

Explainer Video Worksheet 1

1. What is your topic? What are you going to explain in your video?

Different communication patterns and how assumptions of style can impede successful (both sides have clarity and understanding) intercultural interactions. (This could be an initial video to introduce an online asynchronous course).

2. Who is your audience? Who are you creating this video for? What are your assumptions about your audience?

Educators/online learning experts who have intercultural interactions. They are taking an online course to better understand students/colleagues. They may also use this video with students.

3. What do you want them to take away from this video? What is the learning goal or objective?

Recognize  there are various communication styles. Identify their preferred style being direct or indirect, knowing this is contextual. Possibly to reflect on whether they would like to learn more. 

Actions are driven by unseen values. Values come from societal/cultural orientations. Appreciating our own orientation to communication can be effective or not, in intercultural situations. 

5. How long will your video be? ~ 150 words per minute if you are narrating.

5 minutes? 

Basic outline

The power of intercultural interactions- are we clear? 

1. Introduction: What will the first few words be? If you can’t come up with the actual words right now you can set the intention of the introduction. Sometimes it's easier to write the introduction last. The goals to get your audience to pay attention or relate.

Communication. Vital. We need it to get things done. So why does it sometimes, usually, always pose a challenge? It's more than language. Let's try this: 

What could this word (yes) mean? Take 10 seconds to jot down your ideas, or keep them handy in your head for the next minutes. - purpose is to draw out assumptions

2. What is the context or big picture?

Miscommunication can occur from more than language barriers. There are many Englishes as well as communication patterns used with people of different cultures. By trying to switch one's own pattern to a different one, participants may get a better understanding of of the challenge to change and be more aware of their own assumptions of effective communication. Intercultural communication theorists identify experiential learning as the best way to learn about cultural norms, because it tends to work in the affective and has potential for empathy building.

4. What are the driving questions, or question? This can be used in the introduction or it can be used to provide direction after the introduction.

Have you ever been confused by a conversation, written item from a person from another culture? Why does this seem so hard when we are speaking the same language and it’s not a fluency issue?

5. What are the key ideas?

Communication styles have been practiced for a lifetime.  We may expect others to communicate like ourselves, but when that doesn’t happen, it is confusing, frustrating and may lead to negative feelings.  When we can identify a different communication style is happening, it can help to reduce stress and lead to a better outcome for both involved. 

6. What are some examples?

Use the story of the philosopher and his partner as an example of misunderstanding because one is a direct and the other an indirect communicator. Canadians, academics so the assumption between them is it should be easier. 

Example of student writing- what is the thesis statement? 

7. How will you wrap up, summarize, or What do you want them to do? Is there a call to action?

Summarize: We all have preferred communication styles, learned and practiced for a long time. They come from the values of our culture, society, family and personal contexts. all are valid, To be more effective in intercultural interactions, it is helpful to be able to identify when communication exchange is not effective and, if one chooses, shift one's style to better the outcome. It is an ongoing process involving shifts in attitude, skills and knowledge. 

Actions: Complete the shifting perspectives exercise, and share a story that could illustrate a real situation the participant has been in.

In reply to emma bourassa

by Jamie Billingham -

First - Rachelle says:

Hello Emma,

I really like the topic you have chosen! 

I'm looking at creating an explainer video on Invasive Species Management.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on the forum.

Rachelle

I agree with Rachelle and no worries about dropping the post in a different forum - it's kind of like popping your head into a neighboring classroom on the first day of school, isn't it lol

I'm really excited by your topic. I have many cautionary tales in this area, so if you get stuck let me know ; -)

jamie

by Rachelle McElroy -

Thank you Jamie for guiding my path to the right trail ;-)

This is my first FLO course and already I'm bedazzled by how fun it is! Love all the videos and how the course is guiding me forward with intention. I appreciate the structure and the relaxed tone. 

I can think of many uses for the video I am proposing, once complete. In my on-line course at UVIC or marketing website for an invasive species consulting company. I get that it is educational in nature (10 minutes) but it also contains a call to action since we are the cause of all this, the biggest impact! What would that be? Soft marketing?

1. What is you topic? What are you going to explain in your video? Pro-tip: Choose something you know a lot about.

Invasive Species Impacts

Adult students

General Public

Interest in the environment

To identify one social, environmental and economic impact of invasive species.

Define and distinguish invasive plants from other plants.

What you can do to prevent the introduction and spread.

Invasive species cause harm.

Invasive species are different than other species.

You can play a role in preventing the introduction and spread.

5. How long will you video be? How many minutes and how many words? 1 minute of narration = approximately 150 words.

10 minutes.

In reply to Rachelle McElroy

by emma bourassa -

Hi Rachelle, 

I can see this kind of video being used in general education as well, particularly if you have some photos of the species. What a great lead for teachers who could then take the students on an investigative walk! 

In reply to Rachelle McElroy

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Rachelle,

This looks like a great topic for an explainer video!

One of the biggest challenges with any kind of visual medium is getting the visuals.

I'm assuming that photos or drawing of invasive species are pretty easy to come by so you'll have lots to choose from.

Another challenging bit with visual mediums is finding graphics that hang together. Have you decided on a visual style?

Cheers,

jamie

Ullukut from Nunavut!

by Tara Vanderveer -

Hi team!

Very happy to be joining you all for my 4th (?) MicroCourse!

I figured it is a course about videos, so

https://youtu.be/Se_Z-O_WcwI

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Tuesday, 26 March 2019, 5:50 PM - added link because video might not be displaying for everyone?)

In reply to Tara Vanderveer

Re: Ullukut from Nunavut!

by emma bourassa -

Sylvia, thanks for the link, I did need it. 

Tara, what a great idea to let us see you and your land. 

Faddy diet. I love the word play. The focus you have chosen is really timely and I can see this being a really important contribution to health instruction beyond nursing. 

I look forward to the explainer! 

In reply to Tara Vanderveer

Re: Ullukut from Nunavut!

by Jamie Billingham -

Hi Tara,

(Thanks for the link addition Sylvia).

I'm going to use this as a teachable moment - Because there are so many different devices and browsers to choose from it's becoming a good practice to add direct links to videos in addition to embedding - choice is good right! - It also helps if folks want or need to save for future viewing.

Lesson over.

So, Tara, thanks for the mini tour and despite what we know to be the "right" way to do talking head videos, yours worked. It worked because the audio was clear, you kept the pace up, and the length short. Nicely done : -)

Piggybacking on emma's post, I love the Faddy (or was it Faddie) idea. Very sticky - sticky is always good in learning. 

It's also an evergreen kind of topic. Fad diets like the Keto diet are not likely to disappear anytime soon so you could potentially use this kind of resource for several years. It also lends itself to easier-to-find visuals. With topics that are more conceptual the challenge becomes finding visual metaphors that work. You could use both visual metaphors and... I dunno... cartoon pigs... or more concrete visuals.

Looking forward to this one for sure!

Hello from Leonne at UFV Upgrading

by Leonne Beebe -

My Topic: Four Factors that Affect Learning

My Audience: I am creating this video to introduce my Fundamental level first and second language English upgrading students to the four factors that affect learning. They are new to using Blackboard Learn, and this is their first class in Upgrading.

Takeaways:  After watching my video, I want my students to understand how the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual factors affect their learning and what they can do to deal with these factors to improve their learning. 

Big Ideas:  for my students

1. Students can become independent, self-directed and self-reflective.

2. When one of the factors has a negative impact on their learning process, they are in control and can handle the negative effects.

3. By integrating their “body, mind, emotion and spirit (social factor)” in a positive way, they will be successful.

Big Ideas:  for me

1. I will learn how to develop and produce a video, which captures the content I cover in a F2F class. I want to learn to make videos as this is new for me.

Time:  

2-3 minutes.  I plan to use my Kaltural CaptureSpace video program, which I hope I remember how to use since the micro FLO Intro video workshop. Time may run out for me, so I hope to learn from others’ videos.

I look forward to what now feels like a "speed learning" boldly go experience.

Out of confusion comes clarity,

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

Re: Hello from Leonne at UFV Upgrading

by Jamie Billingham -

Hello Leonne,

Great topic! 

With the dual focus - 1. understanding the four factors and 2. what to do to manage the four factors - you have an opportunity to make this really snappy and energizing. At least that's how its playing out in my mind lol 

Have you seen any videos that you can use to influence your style? For some reason I'm thinking about an adult sesame street vibe.

Cheers,

jamie

Re: Hello from Leonne at UFV Upgrading

by Leonne Beebe -

Jamie and Participants,

Making videos is new to me and on my list of skills to develop. This is an interesting micro FLO and I have just run out of time to make a video this week.  However, my goal is to return to this workshop when I have time and follow up on my own.  I will definitely sign up when this workshop comes around again. I do want to learn how to take my F2F handouts and presentations and put them into short videos, so students who have missed the class can watch them.  Reading over the other participants posts and watching their videos develop will help me learn more.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne