2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

by Jamie Billingham -
Number of replies: 7

Share your script of storyboard to this thread.

If you're not comfortable sharing that much your thoughts on the process are just as valuable.

Reply to this post to keep scripts, storyboards, sharing and and feedback, in this thread.

In reply to Jamie Billingham

The power of intercultural interactions- are we clear?

by emma bourassa -

Good morning! Here is where I am at so far. 

Draft of explainer

Script

Visual(s)

Thoughts and observations

Communication. Vital. We need it to get things done. So why does it sometimes, usually, always pose a challenge? It's more than language. Grab a writing tool and paper.

The power of intercultural interactions- are we clear? 

2 thought bubbles

Need heads with bubbles? Want to avoid exclusion or stereotyping- maybe stick people?

What could this word mean? Take 10 seconds to jot down your ideas, or keep them handy in your head for the next minutes

Yes

This exchange represents the interpretation

Add the interpretations for direct and indirect to bubbles

This is an example of the meaning of the word yes from a direct communication perspective and an indirect communication perspective

Add titles direct, indirect

Both communication styles exist. You might remember an interaction that did not go as well as you wanted. It could be because direct communication can seem rude and indirect communication can seem confusing.

Rude- face  or square? reacting with thought bubble explaining the assumption

Confusing- face or circle? reacting with thought bubble explaining the assumption

Will humour work here?

Miscommunication can occur from more than language barriers. There are many Englishes as well as communication patterns used with people of different cultures. So consider that language may not be the only factor at play. Let’s try this:

Can you make this direct statement indirect? Take 10 seconds. Write your ideas down.

Now try the opposite.

What was that like?

Direct example:

Those figures are not right.

10 seconds later drop some possible answers on a continuum

Indirect example:

We will try our best.

10 seconds later drop some possible answers  on a continuum

Scribble in brain?

Communication styles have been practiced for a lifetime.  We may expect others to communicate like ourselves, but when that doesn’t happen, it is confusing, frustrating and may lead to negative feelings.  When we can identify a different communication style is happening, it can help to reduce stress and lead to a better outcome for both involved. 

Here is a real live example. Use the story of the philosopher and his partner as an example of misunderstanding because one is a direct and the other an indirect communicator. Canadians, academics so the assumption between them is it should be easier. 

Example of student writing- what is the thesis statement? 

Lightbulb à smiles or venn diagram 2 circles moving together

How abstract or metaphorical can this be without being confusing?

Direct and indirect are just one pattern of communication. Why are they so different? They come from the values of our culture, society, family and personal contexts. all are valid. To be more effective in intercultural interactions, it is helpful to be able to identify when communication exchange is not effective and, if one chooses, shift one's style to better the outcome. It is an ongoing process involving shifts in attitude, skills and knowledge. Now you have the knowledge, let’s practice the skill.

Complete the shifting perspectives exercise (credit to Storti), and share a story that could illustrate a real situation you or someone else has experienced.

This is the first intercultural communication pattern. We will explore more patterns and the values that orient that style over our time together in this course.

Thanks for your work!! See you online!

Scholars or theories flashing?

Or a meme?

Or a vid?

In reply to emma bourassa

Re: The power of intercultural interactions- are we clear?

by Sylvia Currie -

Emma, reading your draft is so helpful! I love the way you can imagine the possibilities for the visuals. I find that part comes to me while I'm fiddling with the production tools, which is not the best approach. (How often have I been sucked down the PowerPoint theme whirlpool!) I should think about what I want and make it happen, dammit! Thanks for the inspiration!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by emma bourassa -

Well thank you for pulling me out of the ppt mode which was distracting but did give me some ideas for visuals. Hopefully I'll find better ones in the video platform! 

Actually, now that I am thinking about it, it has made me simplify :) so thanks again! 

In reply to emma bourassa

by Jamie Billingham -

Looks really good emma!

I especially like that you have lots of question makes lol I think storyboards are the holder of questions and should be live and changeable.

I am curious if you had thought of trying a story at the very beginning? Or if you had thought of that but made a design decision to offer the story later on?

jamie

by emma bourassa -

You know, that was a perfect question because on my walk, I discovered I do have a story to start things off- thanks for the nudge! 

Re: 2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

by Sylvia Currie -

I decided on a story model, thought about my characters and got a start on a script. I'm sharing a few lines to give the gist of where I'm heading.

=======

The recent report tracking online and distance education in Canada showed that in British Columbia 76% of the institutions consider online learning strategically important for their future.  

Nation-wide, institutions reported that the most significant barrier to the adoption of online learning was the additional faculty effort required to develop or deliver online courses. This was considered important or very important by 85% of responding institutions. This was followed closely by inadequate training/pedagogical knowledge available for faculty in online learning. 

Dr. Lauren Phillips highlighted these areas of the report and set out to learn what her college had in place to support faculty in the transition to teaching online. She discovered the Teaching & Learning centre had scheduled something called a MicroCourse during the reading break. It would be online and open to faculty across disciplines at the college. Lauren popped into the centre to learn more and found the instructional designers and faculty development instructors around a table having a planning meeting.

Lauren: That’s wonderful to hear that you are developing these courses! We need our faculty to really experience an online course before they can be expected to teach online. Do you have plans for more?

Jan: Oh, we’re not developing them. They’re available from BCcampus. We just uploaded the course and plan to tweak it a bit for our offering. 

Lauren: Really? You make it sound so easy! Did you need to take a course to learn how to do all this?

Jan: We’ve been taking all the FLO Family courses. I think we’re prepared for anything now!

Lauren: What are family courses?

Jan: Haha FLO stands for Facilitating Learning Online. The courses are affectionately referred to as a “family” because we all learn together and support each other. 

... to be continued :)   

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: 2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

by Jamie Billingham -

Hey Sylvia,

I missed this post on Friday - so sorry :-/

The conversation part looks cool - have you thought about doing the whole thing as a conversation? Or a news report? Or something to make the first minute (163 words) more hooky?

One of the reasons for using explainer videos is to help with this exact kind of content. My fish brain didn't get past the second paragraph - so 10 seconds of reading it and I was daydreaming - ok, it is Sunday and that could be part of it lol

Para 1 and 2 will be easy to add graphics to and those will help folks stay tuned in. Para 3 may take a bit of work though. You could try to move more of the info in para 3 into the conversation section.

K, that's my 2 cents - or 5 cents - 'cos of the whole no more pennies thing :- )

jamie