Job hunting ain't easy

Job hunting ain't easy

by Junko Leclair -
Number of replies: 3

I teach internship/co-op prep course offered to a cohort of students who are taking courses together f2f. [smiley face]

1. If there is not even a smidgen of fear within you right now, what would you do in your internship job-hunt, and what position would you like to land that is within your reach and can provide you with meaningful work experience and skills? Describe what skills/experience you will gain from this.
  2. What particular fear/circumstances (or any other obstacles) are stopping you from doing what you described in #1?
  3. Comment on someone else’s post by providing pointers: what resources, support, learning or experience would they benefit from in achieving his/her goal? How could you contribute to supporting him/her? 

(Edited by Beth Cougler Blom - original submission Thursday, 21 February 2019, 10:33 PM - to remove our friend, the jumbo emoticon)

In reply to Junko Leclair

Re: Job hunting ain't easy

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Junko I really like this "give and get" sort of approach that you're working on here with this whole activity. It reminds me of the invitation question for the Impromptu Networking activity within Liberating Structures:

“What big challenge do you bring to this gathering? What do you hope to get from and give this group or community?”

So it's a two-way street, it invites students into the discussion and tells them that they have something to share with each other. It builds community.

In reply to Beth Cougler Blom

by Junko Leclair -

Thank you Beth! And I love the passage you share - I am going to keep that on my desktop for inspiration 

In reply to Junko Leclair

by Jeff Brandt -

I like the way this is crafted. It asks for hopes and gives voice to what we are afraid of. The final prompt encourages taking action through the community of learners. The direction of the final prompt improves on the “respond to” script. For me, this is the outcome I hope for with my course discussions, both sharing of learning and support from the community of learners.

I would like to consider this in my upcoming discussions. Thank you.