Discussion/reflection prompt

Discussion/reflection prompt

by emma bourassa -
Number of replies: 3

The context for this question/prompt is facilitating educators in re-imagining how learning occurs and can occur. 

The intent for the instructor is to provide a positive start to the discussion of change, which can be difficult for some. The other is to focus on constructive ideas, rather than hash through what is not working. A redirection of sorts. This serves as a needs assessment for me as I look at how to support the participants within the course as they develop an aspect of a course/workshop. 

The intent for the participants is to provide a space to try on new ideas, with no evaluation (that will work/won't work) of those ideas. There is not an expected 'end point' as this is more of a process focusing on the 'do' aspect rather than the 'do not' angle.

I realize individuals prefer various stages of creating curriculum or aspects of teaching. This may be frustrating for some, so I am looking at starting with a choice of either sharing with others, sharing with me only, or holding it to themselves for a specific period of time to be able to mull. I welcome your ideas and impressions! 

The prompt: What do you want more of for the teaching and learning experiences? 

In reply to emma bourassa

Re: Discussion/reflection prompt

by Jeff Brandt -

I can relate to your idea of accommodating students to their level of comfort with their level of sharing. In my first experiences with on-line education ten years ago, discussions scared me  (I still get nervous crafting replies to student discussions that are quick and may not be fully thought out given the amount to time to respond); I did not want to test my ideas, semi permanent words, with others I did not know. I would have rather had the discussion with the instructor alone. 

However, the confidence I eventually did get from public discussions has been helpful. In my experience, a strong presence of the instructor on line moderating and facilitating the dialogue was beneficial and supportive. I'm grateful for their work as I now know moderating a class or group discussion can take lots of time.

In reply to Jeff Brandt

by emma bourassa -

Thanks Jeff, I had the same experience and still do. In fact, I'm looking at others' detailed posts and am wondering if I totally missed something....ah well, if I did then here's the place to learn! 

For any kind of self reflective sharing, I agree that it is important to be present and empowering with folks, whatever they choose to offer. It's just a fact that communication styles differ and where one may be very able to express ideas with elaboration, someone else may be more inclined to brevity. 

In reply to emma bourassa

by Leonne Beebe -

Emma,

Reading your response now about self-reflective sharing just triggered a thought that has been floating around in my mind for some time.  Maybe what I feel I am  missing in my online courses as a student is the "FLO Journal Nugget" where we reflect on how our learning about the content has impacted us, not just reflecting on the content.

Sylvia, does this sound like the seed being planted for a micro-FLO on metacognition and course design???

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne