Discussion prompt: Leonne Beebe

Discussion prompt: Leonne Beebe

by Leonne Beebe -
Number of replies: 3

Hello Micro-FLOers

This is such a timely and much-needed micro-FLO for me.  At present, for the first time, I am teaching a multi-level Fundamental level blended first and second language English class.  I want to start using online with my f2f class as one of my goals is to teach them how to use our LMS Blackboard Learn for discussions and learning journals as well as for course resources.  Most have had no experience with online learning. We have already talked about asking and answering the 5 W+H questions to gather content.  I also want them to practice writing their opinions about what they hear/learn at whatever level of writing they are at.  We have already talked about the Four Factors of Learning: Social, Emotional, Physical, and Intellectual (the 3 M's - mindset, mindfulness, and metacognition/reflection).  I have four short Khan Academy videos about "Learning about Learning"  and mindset that I want them to watch for the listening/reading closed captions practice as well as to learn about the content of the videos.  I would like to do them at the beginning of the term. I'm not sure how to word the time due. From past classes, students only replied when they knew they were getting participation points.

So here is my draft discussion prompt:

Learning about Learning: The Intellectual Factor and Mindset  

Sometimes, we think we can't learn something new because we are not smart enough, no matter how much we work at it, so we might as well not bother trying.  This is just not true with what we know about how our brain learn.

Part One: please watch each of the four Khan Academy videos in the Learning about Learning section in your BBL course shell. Confused?  Be sure to ask for help.

For each video, please share your opinion by answering these questions;  post your answers between Monday and Friday.  

1. What is the most important information for you to see and hear?

2. Why is this information important to you? 

3. How can you use this information to help you succeed at learning English? 

4. What would you share from this video with another student?  Why?

Part Two: please reply by Sunday to at least two other students who have shared something that made you think you can succeed in this English class.  Tell them why their information helped you.  

Remember: the four video posts and responses count 20 points (10%) towards your class online discussion participation mark.

Out of confusion comes clarity. Leonne
In reply to Leonne Beebe

Re: Discussion prompt: Leonne Beebe

by emma bourassa -

Hi Leonne, 

This looks like a comprehensive exploration and reflection for students to consider their learning process. They have some background knowledge and now the application is the next step. I like the variety of questions that starts with recall, then moves to reflection. As I read through the post, a few things came up and I am wondering about, from the learner perspective:

Most have had no experience with online learning- would it make sense as this is a first trial for you (correct me if I've misinterpreted) to have one video and one question, then later a second question with two questions, etc. This could provide scaffolding as students get used to the LMS. 

I'm not sure the level of language for the L2 students. How might you support them when the visual cues of face and body language aren't there. Perhaps this is part of a blended course where they practice in class then go online with the memory of the practice? 

I appreciate the reminder of the value of participating.

In reply to emma bourassa

by emma bourassa -

Woops, forgot to add a few items: 

The questions are personal and do not rely on more work, so I would be very prepared to participate. I especially like the last one because it digs deeper into the why and could help to build relationships between students for whom the online learning environment, or Canadian context, might be new. 

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Leonne Beebe -

Thank you for all the positive feedback from the facilitators and participants. (just had to say that after my last rant...)

I am still questioning the timing issue.  I would like the students to cover the four short videos' content at once because of their value for the students learning about learning right at the beginning of the class; however, I would also like to have students do one video a week for the online practice and writing practice. I changed this part a few times before I first posted. Interesting how others will pick up on your own confusion even when you don't mention it.

I plan to use this discussion prompt with my Fundamental English 063 students for the next set of classes starting in March. I think I will go with one a week as it will be a new online experience for them.  I also want them to start using the journal tool instead of handwriting as this will expected at the Intermediate level. Also,  I will invite the lower level students to watch the videos, so they can learn to use the online shell for resources and invite them to choose between handwriting or online posting as some may be ready and want to.  In the past, I have responded to each student post, and yes, it is time consuming, but this is what I would do with my f2f office hours if students dropped by for help, which they usually don't' instead they email me if they have a question, so we are technically online already.

I look forward to having time to review all the posts again.  I do read them all, but do not necessarily respond to them all.

UFV closed down at 12:15 pm due to "deteriorating weather and road conditions". Isn't online so much safer and warmer? Enjoy your weekend.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne