Nicky's Notes

Nicky's Notes

by Nicky Didicher -
Number of replies: 3

Is this where Sylvia wanted us to post the handouts from our sessions? Hope so. I'm attaching what was on overheads, with a couple of additional bits ... which by no means represents the discussion we had, and does not include either the student panels' comments or the tour through their WebCT projects.

I'd be happy to respond to questions or start/participate in a discussion.

Glad to have met so many new and interesting people this week! Thank you, all.

Nicky

In reply to Nicky Didicher

Re: Nicky's Notes

by Sylvia Currie -
Yes, this is the right place, Nicky. Thanks! Now for those of us who couldn't attend we get a glimpse of what happened in your session.

I'm bringing forward a comment from Natalie because it's such an unexpected and positive outcome of a risky group work situation:
Working with technology basically had a levelling effect, and groups of students really had to learn together and work together in order to produce their end results.

It can be humbling to be thrown into situations where you have to admit to a big gap in skills and knowledge, and also to rely on others to help fill in those gaps. I wonder, does this same "levelling effect" occur in situations where instructors are also new to the technologies, and are willing to dive in and learn alongside their students?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Nicky Didicher -

Absolutely! I felt that way myself while teaching the course.

Nicky

In reply to Nicky Didicher

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Of all the developments in education, perhaps it has been the introduction of technology into the classroom (and of course in online courses) that has helped to create a sense of shared learning between teacher and students. We have all had the experience of a hiccup in technology, and hearing a voice from the group of learners calling out..."Press the Shift key!" ...to save the day. Perhaps this whole movement started with those flashing 12:00 digits on VCRs and the willingness of mom and dad to let the kids fix it?  Let's keep that momentum going :-)