Posts made by neil SMITH

Hi Sylvia -

Thanks for the introduction~! Andrew and I would like to add our welcome to all the participants. We have been working with the Art of Teaching here at VIU for the past four years, and it is wonderful to see it being used in the online environment. We are looking forward to provocative conversation and debate - today was a good beginning!!

Ideally, Nancy Randall will also be able to join us from the midcontinent while enroute to the east.

So - thanks to all those who have signed on, and we will adjust next week's session to include a very brief review of session #1 to bring those who may join us up to speed.

Below, we will start some discussion threads to open the conversation.

All the best - Neil and Andrew
Penny asked a great question - what are the common errors that people make in the "bridge in" phase of teaching.

I responded with a brief observation that too often I see teachers jump straight into the heart of their curriculum without any attempt to build some communication line with the students. The teacher is fired up, ready to go, filled with adrenaline, and 100% focused. Students in our interviews have so often told us ... "he's (prof) functioning at 100% focus... we come in, fresh from another class, an argument with our girlfriends, sleep deprived, or from a brutal exam.. and we are expected to make the automatic transition... doesn't happen".

What are your thoughts???...
Several people in the CHAT commented on the critical importance of developing trust and healthy relationships with students. There are SO MANY different strategies, only a few of which were explored in the DVD.

What things do you think work best to build and engender the level of trust and relationship that fosters the best learning environment?