Posts made by Ian MacLeod

And here is the wikipedia page on Social Networking sites- over 200 and counting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites. It's interesting because it lists the number of subscribers to each site. As you can see a lot of silos.

What we need is a Meebo for social networking sites. Meebo allows users to IM across several IM systems - we need the same for Social networking sites...
Absolutely amazing stuff1 I'm still sorting through all of the notes and materials that I gathered at CIT 2007 and slowly getting my thoughts up on to my blog MachIanations. It will be another day or two before I get the whole conference up there, but suffice to say I have noticed some themes that I can share.
  • community colleges are concerned about engagement and retention of learners
  • social media is seen as the way to solidifythis engagement along with mobility
  • Google Apps was seen as a great way to use social media and be collaborative - the new learning is collaborative, not time and space sensitive and is mobile
  • Learning how to use social media to connect with learners "where they are" was a big theme at CIT 2007
Social media, is in my mind here to stay. It makes learning a collective, not solitary process - and I think that this collaborative approach to learning is essential as we are being overwhelmed by information.

So effective use of social media, along with strong information literacy skills and collaborative learning is the real paradigm shift that we are going through...
And if anyone is looking for me I am hondomac Dalgleish in Second Life. there is a group of us that meet in Bam (IM for a teleport) each Thursday evening at 4PM Linden Time ($ PM PST). If you are in world then, drop on by for a visit and a chat.
Great questions Deirdre and ones that we all need to come to grips with. Part of my own experience with learners, particularly those categorized as digital natives, the net gen, or millennials (I've even seen the term neo-millennial lately) is that they have a completely different concept of privacy than most of us. In some cases they have no concept of privacy at all and do not see why we are concerned about it at all. I think that the example you give is a good object lesson. we need to deliver more of these to our learners.

I think that the issue of what exactly privacy is is part of the bigger issue of information literacy, which is in my mind the single biggest issue we face with the use of social media, Web 2.0, and online learning. If learners cannot find, analyze, interpret and use information properlythe will be as illiterate as someone who cannot read from a book - privacy will be a part of this.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get learners to be concerned about privacy? Is it a real concern or just something us oldies have to get over if we want to pay with the net gen?