Posts made by Barbara Dieu

Silvia,
Could we open a wiki to plan the structure of the book?
I find it easier to see all on one page than to chase the info on the forum.
What is the deadline ?

I have lots of things ready so just need to rehash but I am quite busy until the end of April.

My area is K12 blogging (high school -  foreign language learning)
Hmmm...the last ten years....does my memory stretch that far? I must definitely drink some of Willy Wonka's Wonkavite

I definitely started by the seat of my pants, which is a recurring pattern in my life and have not taken any formal courses  (I did not even know exactly what function or characteristics an online facilitator is supposed to have - just googled it).

Most of what I learnt was through being in contact with different people and observing how they reacted ( I suppose this must also be connected to my job : juggling with the balance of power, reason and feelings of students, parents, board all the time ; and having attended and hosted social meetings at home)

When I went online, I just did whatever there was to do according to what I thought would work (tacit classroom management and hosting techniques , I suppose) and then observed a lot what people did and how they did it and drew my conclusions. I followed sessions at Tappedin and later volunteered to lead some and the same happened to other online sessions and workshops at YG, wikispaces and blogs.

However, I have not managed to repeat the same lines like some people do. I just cannot follow a recipe - whenever you eat curry at home - it will always taste different, depending on the ingredients I have at hand, the weather, the cutlery and dishware I serve it on, the wine and the mood you are in :-) 

I facilitated the process of my learners and other colleagues starting online, experimenting with the different tools and environments and have recently been trying to make both reflect on the process and where all this can lead , even though I am not sure about it myself and have no answers - so what we try is to ask each other these questions and patch the ideas that come up, blend them with people's experience in certain domains and adapt them to our own contexts.  A quilt of a myriad colours. Aloha!

I am but unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on the perspective), I am very rarely connected on WE as I flee to the countryside to hug trees, go for long walks with my two black Giant Schnauzers, cook, read and listen to music (while correcting essays...argh) and during the week, I am teaching the whole day at school, where I cannot log into SL :-(

So...I will try to join when I can.

Bee

and this is me in SL - Bee Kerouac (-3 GMT)