Posts made by bronwyn hegarty

You make a great point Asif. The heterogeneous mix of students you mention from different work contexts is an issue for me when teaching a Flexible learning course to vocational teachers and educators. Trying to convince them that universal design is important to assist equitable access for their learners can be tricky when they can see only one way to teach practical skills.

In New Zealand as in other countries, indigenous learners have specific learning needs. I would like to hear about others' experiences in this area.
I have just watched the first video: The Wave - Managing student questions and evaluating comprehension during class. The intent is to highlight difficulties for international students when interacting in a lecture situation. However the strategies that are suggested would be very useful for any student.

The video also highlights the importance of using inclusive questioning. The strategies would help students to engage in the subject matter, interact with peers and retain their anonymity if they so wish. The direct questioning that some lecturer's might favor can be very inappropriate when students are not used to this or feel embarrassed when put on the spot.

I think it is important to look at some of the factors relating to cultural diversity: ethnicity, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, location, professional role, belief systems and gender. All these factors influence the way in which people behave and live. This is because they develop particular perspectives and values depending on the group or community in which they reside.
This is taken from a topic I am teaching on cultural diversity at present - see: Flexible Learning Guidebook

Do you have examples of situations where diversity inhibited access to learning?
Yes I use that technique in face-to-face introductory classes. It would be very useful online but would take more time so the idea of integrating it with tools they need to learn would work well?

Though sometimes if students are nervous about technology it can throw them a bit having to do this right at the start and they may balk at the time it takes. Any suggestions for how you deal with this Sylvia?
Bron
Thx Janet
It is all very interesting. I just wish I had some of these insights before I did the interviews for my Doctorate. I was trying to get the book through our library but it is not available in New Zealand libraries yet.

I will have to make a suggestion the University of Otago library (we share the library) buys it as it looks like such a useful resource. We have several degree programmes teaching research methods at the polytechnic and there will be tons at the university as well and lots of researchers in both places would find it very useful I am sure.

I will do my bit to promote it.
Bronwyn

this is fascinating stuff Janet. Is this theory more applicable to particular types of research, for example, phenomenological or ethnographic studies?

How do researchers normally record this type of information while concentrating on the questions and responses?

Bronwyn