Posts made by Paddy Fahrni

The MOSAIC English language program for adult learners with diverse first language and education backgrounds is learner-centred and task-based - and all about improving communicative language - so the negotiation demanded by the process of making a video together, especially as part of the process is in online forums and wikis, is a rich framework for learning and applying learning. The task is expressed clearly as a language task. For example, after functional langauge lessons on explaining a process/ giving directions, learner groups are required to produce a "How To" video on a subject of their choice. Criteria match the 'best practice' items learners culled from unit lessons, as well as a maximum lemgth and a deadline. Final videos are peer-assessed to the criteria, and the teacher assesses individual learners on participation and language production.

Regarding the need to learn software specific skills: Previous programs had discrete computer use support classes. Because our feedback data showed that students had a fair range of skills (although in L1), we designed the program to rely on informal peer learning, referral to external online tutorials, and direct support if needed. For example, with continuous intake, we teach an orientation to the online part of the blended course, including online tools, only every few months. The orientation lesson teaches learners how to give an orientation, so a new students is mentored into the online course and projects by experienced students. Again, a great language task as well. Our projects are modest, of course, in comparison to a university program, but almost one year into the model we have had no huge problems re software skills. Indeed, I have learned so much from the students!

Students who don't know where to start or seem overwhelmed: Participation of all group members is a project objective. Non-participation can be seen quickly through the online coursework. The teacher facilitates inclusion and support among the group. 

I confess that I see collaborative video projects as processes to hang language on. I sometimes feel guilty as I blithely delete the end products of so many learner hours . . .

Hi all,
I work with a Vancouver settlement agency MOSAIC and have used video in English language classes for self-assessment/ peer-assessment - really great feedback and motivator for learners. Videos of a max time 7  minutes are moved from camera to classroom computer and shown on SmartBoard screen. They are dumped after the assessment, though learners sometimes take them home  for ???.  The department is starting to video models or demos of teaching peers (max time 15 minutes) which are posted on agency YouTube account. These are much shorter that Amy's event-sharing videos. This is a very efficient way to shre info - but huge files!  Further, because some of our courses are blended, teachers are beginning to develop inhouse materials videos, so we are now getting into the whole ball of wax re permissions and ownership, etc.

My favourite use of videos in teaching is collaborative video production projects for learner groups, as the process is so communicative. I see Barbara also uses video this way.

Deirdre uses videos to model medical procedures - and in language training, authentic communication model videos are great to show the non-verbal and socio-cultural aspects of language.

I'm still searching for the lowest tech, sufficient quality, free process to produce video !!!

Regards,
Patricia

Hello there.
Patricia Fahrni (MDE Athabasca), working outside academia at MOSAIC - a large settlement organization in Vancouver, BC. The development of OERu credentials is relevant to adult immigrants I work with - mostly internationally trained professionals and skilled workers. I'll be learning from the sure-to-be interesting discussion. Thanks in advance.
Hi there. Thanks, everyone for interesting stuff re ISD templates. I want to agree with Julia about a rubric perhaps making more sense.

I’m Paddy Fahrni (MDDE Athabasca) just having a quick lurk – and have a brief story from the front lines. I’m currently pushing to ready a blended settlement English language course. I’ve pulled in several teachers to the development and the best thing about them is not that they don’t freak about moving to blended in this traditionally class-based area, but that they are experienced teachers who can read their learners’ needs. I’m an experienced teacher as well. The course design fell into place as if we already had very similar templates in our heads. We all understood an education approach that works well in this specific area. An important consideration was that the design be light enough, or porous enough, that the course teacher could flex it for diverse learners.

The online design aspects I transferred to my colleagues through constructing “my” area of the course, then walking them through noting the fidelity to the educational approach and demo-ing course upload. The provision of a model (guess this could be considered a template) was the most important thing to the teacher/builder group in the hurly-burly times approaching course delivery.

Quickly and perhaps vaguely, I’d say that the initial process was selection from a rubric (what works well at this time in this situation) and the actual course at delivery is a temporary template that will be adjusted with reference to a rubric.
Just a few thoughts:

Control or share?
In this discussion, sharing is talked about as collaboration. Sharing is giving out ideas and content but also getting, or being exposed to, ideas and content. If you view online networks as an open, lateral systems in contrast to the controlled, hierarchical system of formal ed institutions, then in moving to sharing ideas/content online you relinquish control of those ideas. You also give up control of how people interpret or use your ideas. However, your participation exposes you to multiple, diverse views – key to growing your own learning and expanding your ideas. Collaboration also connects you to a wider engagement in (the common goal of collaboration). I believe it's the giving up of control that is uncomfortable for many.

Awareness:
Alice asked, “Can we tailor how others see us?”. Cindy suggests awareness of what online participation means in terms of searches and data mining will result in people controlling their online identities – as we control our F2F identities as appropriate to our participation, e.g.at a staff meeting, out with friends.

I've noted, and found it odd, that a person who may control sharing of content online in a professional mode, may share freely in a social network ( perhaps resulting in being kicked off an electoral slate as we've seen in Vancouver). Yet those modes of online participation are not separate, as many reported in the first activity.

Thanks - enjoying all postings,
P